Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:57 AM   #1

Default The rumoured E-7 and the competition

If the rumors (http://www.43rumors.com/some-doubts-...eek-e-7-rumor/) are are correct and Oly releases and E5MK2 or E7 with just the new sensor + 5 axis IBIS and some other minor improvements will that be enough when rumors are suggesting that Canon is about to release a full frame 6D and Nikon's definitely got their D600 on the way ? The E3/E5's were pitched against the D300/50D but the new FF's are going to be coming in at the same price point so the competitions no longer just the APS-C cams .

1. Ideally, I'd like Oly to shave a few mm off the E3/5 shell all round (keep the style/shape/ergonomics) although I doubt we'll see that happen. Note: The new 6D is stated to be the same size as the 7D or smaller.

2. Use the new sensor but keep the same jpeg curve of the E3/E5 (there seems to be a noticeable difference between the OOC Jpegs from the EM5 OMD and the E3/E5). Not a big prob for RAW shooters but if you shoot JPEG then the EM5 files seem to lack a fair bit to my eyes. - UPDATE ... Well just had a look at Zigs M43 pics and they look pretty stonking.

3. Increase the OVF so that its larger than the E3/E5 so greater than 1.15x magnification

4. Drop the base ISO to 50 if possible

5. Fix the AF so that its at least on par with the D7000/D300 or even better in both SAF and CAF. This has to be a priority...

6. Increase the resolution of the LCD from the E5s 920K.. although thats a big improvement over my E3's.

7. Will 16MP be enough resolution ? From a personal standpoint yes but long term and over a 2-3 product cycle will it suffice ?

8. 5 Axis IBIS

9. 14 bit raw files.

10. Price ... they cant price it at $1700 or 1700.00 for a FT/APS sensor camera esp if the new FF's are coming in at that price point. The E5 is still selling at basically its release price 2 years ago... so any new E7 has to come in at $1200-$1500 - 1100- 1200 max. price.

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:25 AM   #2

As you can tell i had a wee bit of time on my hands..and put together a fictional E7

Canon 5D MK 111, E5/E3, Fictional E7 and Pentax K5

I was kind of shocked to find that the E5 and the 5D are identical in size, with the 5D just 52g lighter as well. The EX definitely needs downsizing in my opinion.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:49 AM   #3

If the idea is to keep current four-thirds users happy with a new sensor that performs, image quality-wise, with the current line of lenses much like the E-M5, that's probably about all we can expect. I don't think the idea of an E-7 is to expand the system and steal sales from Nikon, Canon or anyone else. I do not think what those other companies are doing is even a blip on the screen at Olympus when it comes to the four-thirds system. The lens and accessories-side of the system is "done" in terms of new products. What's there is what we have.

One last true DSLR could be all the additional time Olympus need to finish bridging the two systems together. Whether they actually ever do, really bridge the two systems or not, assuming it does happen, an E7 would almost certainly be the last of the line.

With all the corporate issues Olympus has had, I'm kinda surprised an E7 is even still a possibility. Looking at the wording the guy on the rumor site used in the linked article, I'm not sure how credible any "news" he's reporting is about a possible E7.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:15 PM   #4

Harj - I agree the camera should be smaller. At this point, the one "rumor" I was reading basically said - they pretty much had the camera completed and the plug got pulled so now they figure "lets release it and give the DSLR folks a bone". I would not expect any great gain in focus performance - focus systems are now in a shift once again. Video has really changed things. If m4/3 is the future they need to be working on THAT focus system - trying to close the gap on D300 just doesn't make sense because it's not the same technology they would be using in a video capable m4/3.

Heck, it's come to light that Canon really switched up their focus system in camera and in-lens. With the 5dIII and 1dx they made corresponding changes to their new (very expensive) lenses - all because of video (works better for stills too apparently but you have to have both the new body AND one of the new lenses to get the benefit). That's the type of shift Oly needs to be doing for m4/3. Figuring out how to make a 4/3 focus like the D300 is a wasted effort IMO. They need to go 100% in the new hybrid style direction IMO.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:03 PM   #5

If the success of the Pen series cameras has proven anything to the Sales Management team over at Olympus it is the fact that consumers want smaller cameras but don't want to sacrifice on image quality and performance. With each iteration, Olympus made some improvements that consumers found to their liking. Now, with the E-M5, they finally have a camera that can compete with any camera out their except those built for professional sport, wedding and wildlife shooters. And, the public has responded as they still can't build the E-M5 fast enough to meet demand. As for the pros out there, they already have choices out in the marketplace that Olympus will never meet.

If Olympus comes out with another four thirds camera body, and that's a big if,
it will do nothing to increase market share.

If I were in charge of Olympus and the Sales Management team came to me looking for money to build and release a new four thirds camera, frankly, I'd be looking to replace that group.

Sorry, but you can't look back.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:55 PM   #6

Hi Guys

Thanks for your thoughts and John, esp with regards to the AF systems - I hadn't thought too much about how much of an impact Video has had on DSLR AF systems and wasn't aware that Canon and I'm assuming Nikon as well have been would have revamped the lenses as well.

Whether an E7 shows up is debatable and if it doesnt then those like myself will have to find another system to use, be that M43, Sony, Pentax, Nikon etc. Now its been 3 years + since Oly talked about one beautiful system and its still not here. Its possible that we may see it next year or 24months or may be never. Many moved on from FT, others have become dual system shooters and others like me have carried on with what we have and the E7 if it ever exists is going to be aimed at that group. If it does appear its for the existing and remaining FT shooters and Oly should know that theyre not going to be able to compete with the pro FF cams .. period. There is however, still the semi-pro/enthusiasts like most of us on this forum and its that group that Oly has dropped the ball on and I don't think they can abandon that group again (Ken Norton at Zone 10 http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...d=672&Itemid=1 ) although I could be wrong.

To date I've not seen an or handled an M43/Sony nex/Pentax mirroless camera that I've liked, and that includes the OMD-EM5, the Pana GX1 and Sonys Nex-7, Fuji X1Pro.. I liked them all but none of them were for me. I will get a smaller cam and I definitely want one esp for the street shooting but right now it doesnt exist. So if an E-7 shows and its priced realistically, has some or all of those features and if its the "one beautiful system" even better but if not I'll still be ready to trade in my E3 + E1.

Cheers

Harj

Update:

HEy Zig.. forgot to add.. someone should have shot Oly's management years ago for not aiming for the birding/wildlife shooters, for pitching the E3 at the D200 and not taking into account that a D300 was on the way and then offering the E5 with minimal R&D. We all know that they have never been able to place to the formats strength - the FT x2 crop factors ideal for wildlife/bird photogrpahy but they either failed or ignored that market and thats one thats always been open unlike Sports. Oly's always had the lens but never the right body with a decent enough AF system.

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:30 PM   #7

And lots more good rumours and speculation here from stuff "Our Steven" has stired up...Looks like he used a big wooden paddle..

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/f2/...ion-73031.html
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Guys

Thanks for your thoughts and John, esp with regards to the AF systems - I hadn't thought too much about how much of an impact Video has had on DSLR AF systems and wasn't aware that Canon and I'm assuming Nikon as well have been would have revamped the lenses as well.

Whether an E7 shows up is debatable and if it doesnt then those like myself will have to find another system to use, be that M43, Sony, Pentax, Nikon etc. Now its been 3 years + since Oly talked about one beautiful system and its still not here. Its possible that we may see it next year or 24months or may be never. Many moved on from FT, others have become dual system shooters and others like me have carried on with what we have and the E7 if it ever exists is going to be aimed at that group. If it does appear its for the existing and remaining FT shooters and Oly should know that theyre not going to be able to compete with the pro FF cams .. period. There is however, still the semi-pro/enthusiasts like most of us on this forum and its that group that Oly has dropped the ball on and I don't think they can abandon that group again (Ken Norton at Zone 10 http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...d=672&Itemid=1 ) although I could be wrong.

To date I've not seen an or handled an M43/Sony nex/Pentax mirroless camera that I've liked, and that includes the OMD-EM5, the Pana GX1 and Sonys Nex-7, Fuji X1Pro.. I liked them all but none of them were for me. I will get a smaller cam and I definitely want one esp for the street shooting but right now it doesnt exist. So if an E-7 shows and its priced realistically, has some or all of those features and if its the "one beautiful system" even better but if not I'll still be ready to trade in my E3 + E1.

Cheers

Harj

Update:

HEy Zig.. forgot to add.. someone should have shot Oly's management years ago for not aiming for the birding/wildlife shooters, for pitching the E3 at the D200 and not taking into account that a D300 was on the way and then offering the E5 with minimal R&D. We all know that they have never been able to place to the formats strength - the FT x2 crop factors ideal for wildlife/bird photogrpahy but they either failed or ignored that market and thats one thats always been open unlike Sports. Oly's always had the lens but never the right body with a decent enough AF system.
Hi Harj,

I was one of those guys who waited a long time for Oly to make some significant changes to their AF system as well as adding a couple of lenses that were missing from their line up- most notably a 300mm F4 lens.

The fact is that I do miss many of the lenses I used to own. As good as my 70-200mm f2.8 is when I compare it to the 50-200mm Oly I'm always surprised as to how well the shots that I took with it stand up against the Nikkor lens.
That, and as you already mentioned, the 2x factor made that a 400mm lens-no small consideration when shooting birds.

I miss the Oly colors as well.

What I don't miss is the AF system used in the E-30. It was lousy. If they had only fixed that, I'd still be an Oly user.

Zig

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:58 PM   #9

Hey Ken

Just checked that post ! At least it was pretty civilized and didn't get out of control .!

Since I started the post I have been thinking more about what to do if there is no E-7. The beauty of FT for me was you could pick 2 lens from each grade and you were set... I look at M43 and just see lots of so-so zooms (will hold judgment on the 12-35 and the 35-100F2.8s from Pana until theirs some real world reviews), some decent to excellent primes - 20mmf1.7, 45mm F1.8 and the 75 and some really good bodies but none that really appeal to me. Here's a thread that caught my eye:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/f2/...eep-73047.html

Oh well.. me E3 and the beastie still work and they continue to surprise me.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:38 PM   #10

HI Zig

Now talking about firing Oly's management, I finally thought their marketing team had learnt its lesson by producing pretty decent ads for the OMD but take a look at the new ad for the M43 60mm Macro..... somethings not quite right esp for a macro shot

Back to FT and the AF issue ... I think Oly just stuck their heads in the sand and decided they couldn't be bothered to fix it and hoped us users would stop complaining. I'm hoping they fix the issues with the AF and improve it .. god knows after making E3/E30/E5 they would have been able to have bought it up-to par to a D200 at least. They lost a whole lot of good semi-pro and some pro-togs because of this - yourself, Greg, Donald Chin to name just a few switching to Nikon.

A HG 300F4 was and still is a no brainier of a lens for the FT to have .. why they never made one is beyond belief. . Lets if we get to see an E7 that they have learnt a lesson in actually listening to their users.

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM.