Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:00 PM   #1

Default Olympics London 2012 - Mens Marathon

Just a sample of a few pics taken from this mornings Marathon. Glad I got up and got to Parliament Square early as I got a decent spot before the crowds turned up in force. The atmosphere was terrific esp at the end for the last runner where the crowd somehow gave him the will to start running again.. fabulous stuff!

All shot with the E3 + 35-100F2, at ISo200-400, Raw PPD in LR4. Hit rate - approx 45%-50%. SA-F + centre point. The 50% that missed are all back focused or where the AF simply couldn't keep up - panning was next to impossible. Wish I had snapped up the 1.4TC .. would have been real handy. Noise at ISO400.. can be a wee bit annoying so I've applied a wee bit of luminous NR -10-20% to some pics.

John.. thanks for the tips .. I tried my best ..

1. The Start - I hate people that use Ipads for cameras .. like the Italian dude that suddenly appeared on my right ....

Last runner ... he was walking when we spotted him with the safety bike and camera crews in tow but the crowd just seemed to lift him for one more push...

I took a fair number of candids and street stuff but thats all for another post..

Onwards to Olympics 2016 and Brasil!!!

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:42 PM   #2

Great stuff Harj, envy you there, really didn't want to come home with that mob though.
Tell you what, I'll meet you in Rio 2016..!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:22 PM   #3

Hi ken

Will try and see u on the West coast before then! Going to aim for getting to Rio and see how it goes and I'm sure its going to be a blast.

The crowds were just huge .. way bigger than the ladies road race but luckily the sun was out so most people just went to enjoy the sun rather than aim for the tube stations.

The Pro tog's.. looks like a 50-50 split between Canon and Nikon. What I can't work out is how theyre able to take the pics of the runners as the car their in goes is infront with the runners moving towards them..?

Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi ken

Will try and see u on the West coast before then! Going to aim for getting to Rio and see how it goes and I'm sure its going to be a blast.

The crowds were just huge .. way bigger than the ladies road race but luckily the sun was out so most people just went to enjoy the sun rather than aim for the tube stations.

The Pro tog's.. looks like a 50-50 split between Canon and Nikon. What I can't work out is how theyre able to take the pics of the runners as the car their in goes is infront with the runners moving towards them..?

Some big lenses and stout monopods there along with that "been there done that look" Hope can get one from this angle that the others can't !!!!

Always welcome in this part of the world mate, I love showing off my fav. spots to shoot.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:50 PM   #5

Great shots Harjj
I would rather be carry around your E-3 than the HEAVY Canon and Nikon Camers and lenses
I must of beem NICE shooting in London the last 2 weeks
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Great shots Harjj
I would rather be carry around your E-3 than the HEAVY Canon and Nikon Camers and lenses
It must of been NICE shooting in London the last 2 weeks
Dittos!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Great shots Harjj
No doubt about it as a spectator. That's a lot of weight to carry. But, as for what they're there to do, that weight pays off. Here's a blog entry someone shared with me - you don't often get to see so many of the photos but this photographer really does a great job of telling his story with photos. That big, heavy gear really does help tell that story. But I'm guessing when he's a spectator or on vacation he's not carying around 500mm f4 lenses
http://thestar.blogs.com/photoblog/2...pic-lives.html
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:05 PM   #8

Hi John

Thanks for posting the link to that blog .. very cool indeed. I could only dream of getting those kinds of pics.. and the low light ISO3200 @ 1/1250 shot of Mo Farah and co is just stunning when you look at the lack on noise and when you look at the others the AF has the pics just nailed. I've been pretty amazed at what I've seen from the 1DX so far. Looking at the cycling shots .. F4 to 5.6 @ 1/3200s /ISO 800 with a 500mm FL...

Now looking at my pics, my shutter speed of 1/500-640 was simply not fast enough and that I should have perhaps shot at F3.5 or F4 to have gotten better results. I was trying to get the cleanest noise free files as possible but perhaps i should have just cranked it up to ISO800 to get the faster shutter speeds. I shot at F5.6/6.3 hoping that I'd get less OOF images. I also need to get the 1.5x TC to get the closer and frame the shots tighter.

When I saw the togs and took that shot, I was surprised that most looked as if they were shooting with the 70-200F2.8's and not the big guns like I'd seen at the ladies cycling road race two weeks earlier.

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:46 PM   #9

Guys... the first selection weren't the best so .. heres a few more and I'd like your thoughts on these again too many of the shots are took are not framed correctly - the crops not tight enough or the compositions just wrong.

Cheers

Harj
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:33 AM   #10

Hi John

Thought I'd share this link with you and the other guys on the forum:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/inte...hic-highlights

Its a slideshow of another Pro togs pics from the games..a different style from the other tog but some excellent stuff and definietly worth listening to the togs thoughts on why and what made him take the shot

Cheers

HArj