Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:07 AM   #1

Default 5-100F2+ EC14 vs ZD 150 F2

Hi Guys

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting the EC1.4 TC and was wondering if anyone knows how it compares to the ZD 150 F2? I don;t have any intentions of getting the prime but it'd be nice to know whether the beastie + TC can produce comparable pics to the 150.

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:40 AM   #2

Harj, do you mean adding the TC1.4 to the 35-100 f/2 compared to the 150 f/2? (I don't know but I'm just trying to clarify your question.) I don't have the 150 but the TC1.4 doesn't degrade the image at all on any lens I have used it on, so I suspect the IQ of the 1.4 + 35-100 would be very close to the 150. You would lose a half-stop of speed, of course.

Ted

PS: Shooting the runners and cyclists really got you interested in sports photography, eh?

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:02 AM   #3

Hey Ted

Yeah thats basically it... I'd like a bit more reach esp as I'm going to try and go to the paralympics which kick off in 2 weeks from now. I know the EX's AF isn;t up to sqwat but I'm kind of itching to see what I can do with a bit more reach and shooting wide open - so F3.5 or 4 and at 1/1250 or faster to see if its possible to get something a bit more "sports pro"

I can't afford the 150 and getting another lens for me would be silly as it'll just sit there gathering dust so the TC's make more sense. Now I'm not sure whether to go for the 1.4 or 2x and IQ wise I was wondering how at 280mm or 400mm the 35-100+TC would compare to the 150 ? I've never seen anyone ever post any comparisons before so its got me curious.

PS...

Been thinking about fashion with a sport twist for a while so another excuse to get the TC... would also be handy for the airshows.. next ones in Sept!

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 19, 2012 at 7:28 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:59 AM   #4

Always thinking. I like the Sport fashion idea, it's not new but it could be a good field for you.
I'm going to try some airshow stuf at the end of the month here at Paine Field. (Where they build the 747's) WWII stuff. Could be fun. I haven't had the camera out for a while. I think you press the little chrome button on the right..
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:07 PM   #5

Not WWII but IMHO the prettiest plane of the jet era. (overdone paint job on this one though)

And the best looking bomber. Both of them the first of their type.

Last edited by Scouse; Aug 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Ted

Yeah thats basically it... I'd like a bit more reach esp as I'm going to try and go to the paralympics which kick off in 2 weeks from now. I know the EX's AF isn;t up to sqwat but I'm kind of itching to see what I can do with a bit more reach and shooting wide open - so F3.5 or 4 and at 1/1250 or faster to see if its possible to get something a bit more "sports pro"

I can't afford the 150 and getting another lens for me would be silly as it'll just sit there gathering dust so the TC's make more sense. Now I'm not sure whether to go for the 1.4 or 2x and IQ wise I was wondering how at 280mm or 400mm the 35-100+TC would compare to the 150 ? I've never seen anyone ever post any comparisons before so its got me curious.

PS...

Been thinking about fashion with a sport twist for a while so another excuse to get the TC... would also be handy for the airshows.. next ones in Sept!
I have both TC's and they are both great. I find I use the EC-14 much more than the EC-20, it literally stays on my 50-200 and my 50 macro. Although the EC-20 works very well on the 50, I find at full range on the 50-200 the EC-20 is just a little much to hand hold, throw it on a tripod or even a monopod or rest it on the window sill of my truck and it is sharp as a tack...neither one will degrade the image quality, they are both typical OLY - fine pieces of glass. The 20 does lose 2 stops which can hurt at times, but I hardly ever have an issue with the EC-14, it is only about a 1/2 stop difference so no big deal.

Good luck - I have the 150 in my wish list at B&H and it will be in my stable one day! And I intend to use it with either of the TC's.

Jim

E-30, E-500, - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

SmugMug Pics - Click Here
Personal Website - Click Here
Wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:22 PM   #7

Hi Ken,

I don't think anyones made a jetas pretty as that Sabre ... It still looks beautiful even now although both the spiti and the P51d are even better

Jim, question regards the performance of the EC20 esp - Now with Canon's version of the TC - they don't recommend using it where AF speed is critical as it can slow the AF down by 75%, where as the 1.4x TC doesn't. Have you noticed any of the sorts with the Oly converters ?

I'm leaning towards the 1.4x , as I do not intend to be lugging a monopod about , so I'll be hand holding as I always have although part of me thinks that getting up to 400mm would be quiet useful.

I've also noticed on Olys web site that the EC20 is dust and splash proof but the EC14 isn't i which I found real odd.

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Not WWII but IMHO the prettiest plane of the jet era.
I think so too. It's amazing to me that jet design progressed from the ME-262 to the Sabrejet so quickly, even considering that North American got the research on swept wing design from captured German researchers.

I looked up the Saberjet in Wikipedia, and they noted that it was produced in a number of countries but the one that had the best flight capabilities was the one made by Canadair, eh!

Ted

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote