Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:16 PM   #1

Default Well, it's here

A camera with the Android OS, in case we were thinking DSLRs and ILCs wouldn't become a niche market:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/...=8938&kw=S800c

I wonder why they didn't just go ahead and put a phone in it. That's bound to happen soon.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:23 PM   #2

Seriously.. I don;t know why you'd need a full blown OS in a camera... what next virus's and trojans that take over the cam and snap pics of you .. or when taking a pic.. your camera kernel panics and you miss the shot.. or it starts to swap out and slow down as theres not enough ram captain .. ... .. the list could go on..
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Seriously.. I don;t know why you'd need a full blown OS in a camera...
Some years ago in the IT world I work in, futurists were talking about "convergence" which is the combining of electronic appliances, with each other and with internet communications. It was first predicted in home entertainment and that's come true - first with computers dedicated to audio-video with CDs and DVDs ripped and stored as files, and now with flat screen TVs that receive movies streamed on demand, and saved or not saved depending on your available funds and storage capacity.

Personally I think this Nikon camera is the start of convergence of "adequate" cameras with smartphones, and DSLRs and ILCs will be as common as high-end CD players (or turntables) are for home audio - a niche market. I'm just happy I was along for the ride when demand brought competition and innovation in cameras we could afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
what next virus's and trojans that take over the cam and snap pics of you .. or when taking a pic.. your camera kernel panics and you miss the shot.. or it starts to swap out and slow down as theres not enough ram captain .. ... .. the list could go on..
Well look at the bright side, Harj. I do a lot of work in cyber-security. Maybe I'll be able to hack into your camera phone and after you snap a shot you could immediately hear my voice telling you your exposure and composition sucked.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I do a lot of work in cyber-security. Maybe I'll be able to hack into your camera phone and after you snap a shot you could immediately hear my voice telling you your exposure and composition sucked.
I don't care who you are. That right there is funny
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:21 AM   #5

Thanks, John. I wasn't being entirely facetious - we do expect to see a lot of security problems in the future as folks unthinkingly put private info into the cloud.

Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:11 AM   #6
Administrator

I'm just wondering how long it will take before someone "roots" it and starts modifying what the camera can do, installs Google Voice on it for making phone calls via the camera's mic when a WiFi hotspot is nearby, etc. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'm just wondering how long it will take before someone "roots" it and starts modifying what the camera can do, installs Google Voice on it for making phone calls via the camera's mic when a WiFi hotspot is nearby, etc. :-)
I'm wagering it's already been done, at least in a alpha version. I picked up a Nexus 7 a while ago (which is, incidentally, out-freakin'-standing). As you may or may not know, it was capable of being rooted the day after it started being shipped! The folks on XDA love a challenge.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:48 AM   #8

I'm not sure that when I'm getting ready to take a shot I want to hear voices coming from the camera telling me, no no not yet, wait for the right light, aghhh......
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 6:39 PM   #9
Administrator

The new Samsung Galaxy Camera looks even more interesting from an OS/Connectivity perspective, as it comes with the latest Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" (versus an older Android 2.x release) with full access to Google Play, and lets you use apps like Google Voice, Skype, etc. They'll have a model with 3G/4G connectivity, too.

See the news article we posted about it earlier today here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...elly_bean.html

I'm just becoming accustomed to the "nuances" of Android on my phone (which I "rooted" not long after I bought it so that I can install more apps, wireless tethering, etc.).

I also bought a small set top TV Box with Android 4.04 on it not long ago. It's just a generic brand box with A/V and HDMI outputs, remote, 2 USB ports, 1GB of DDR3, 4GB of internal storage, SDHC slot, etc. (and you can use USB attached hard drives drives for more storage) that I can use to watch internet content with (YouTube, IMDB, Netflix, etc.). It was only $85 delivered.

I'm using a Logitech K400 RF Wireless Keyboard/Trackpad with it so I can take advantage of browsers like Dolphin HD, Chrome for Android, etc., to watch content outside of the available apps from Google Play, too (and it also has Flash 11 installed on it, and the Dolphin HD Browser lets me "spoof" the User Agent so I can tell sites I'm running a totally different OS if desired if they block some content to mobile devices). For example, I can tell it I'm running IE under Win 7 if desired. But, a warning, the mult-touch trackpad built into the Logitech K400 wireless keyboard does not support "pinch and zoom", even though it's great otherwise. Grrrrr. I'm looking around at other options now, since most Android apps work with pinch and zoom for enlargement of your view.

Now, I guess I'll be using Android on my cameras soon, too (given that we're seeing announcements from more than one camera manufacturer switching to it for an OS, with more announcements sure to follow from other manufacturers over time). . lol
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'm looking around at other options now, since most Android apps work with pinch and zoom for enlargement of your view.
Maybe not for long, after the Apple-Samsung lawsuit result.

Thanks for the update, Jim - I missed that announcement. Still doesn't have a phone, though.