Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:12 PM   #1

Default Spit and Hurry..!

Actually two Spits and one Hurricane and a fine couple of hours out on a beautiful day. It was Battle of Britain Day at the Paul Allen sponsored Flying Heritage Collection. (Wouldn't you like to be able to do something like that)

http://www.flyingheritage.com/Templa...x?contentId=40

The one with Chech markings was from a chech squadron based in Devon, England, then after the war they went back to Chechoslovakia to form a base for their new airforce.

Great to hear those Merlins growl as they flew by. They made a few passes, in Vic and solo.

If I'm going to do that again I'm going to set up a little differently. I stopped the prop, so I need to cut back on shutter speed. As well as a couple of other things

But I don't feel bad using the old trusty E500 and the 70-300 lens. I had the monopod attached and collapsed it's just the right length to work almost as a rifle stock but tucked under the arm, felt good.

Who would put a wing like that on a plane?

Waiting for the call.

On the taxiway.

Now if I can just get it over these trees!?

Vic flyover.

And past..

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:24 PM   #2

More fly byes, gets contagious this taking pics thing, doesn't it. I got shutter happy, and happy I got some to share.

This last bird is the old MG...yeh, really! It was parked outside so to stop me drooling on her paintwork the lady owner said "Why don't you sit in it?" yeh why don't I. It's a lot like my old car. Mine was a little bigger the model SA. I've forgotten what this one was. We traded stories for fun, prolly see her again she has something to do with the museum.

Excellent couple of hours out. They're having another flying weekend soon. Bomber theme I believe. Oh yes, "Ground attack Day" Sept 29.

Last edited by Scouse; Aug 25, 2012 at 6:26 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:26 PM   #3

Hey Ken: excellent shots; well done! I'd say that you and the 500 were really humming along at the air show.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post

If I'm going to do that again I'm going to set up a little differently. I stopped the prop, so I need to cut back on shutter speed. As well as a couple of other things
I think the prop blur in the first one in the second set, is just right. OTOH, I'm not sure that guy in the MG is really trustworthy.

I enjoyed the photos - thanks for posting them. I've never seen an MG like that, but it really got my attention. I had a '67 B Roadster for many years. Bright red, chrome wire wheels - jeeez I loved that car. When I had the 2 carbs tuned right, it would do well over 100mph (at least as indicated on the speedo). At those speeds you did need some strength on the brake pedal with those non-power disks (not that I ever had to brake hard - no, no, not me.) Oddly, I never had electrical problems from the Prince of Darkness. And with the top down you never got wet in the rain as long as you didn't stop, which always was a fun challenge. Taking a curve at high speed on a bumpy road was a challenge also - it would just walk over out of the lane you were in...

Did I mention I really loved that car?

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:09 PM   #5

Thanks you guys. I really enjoyed getting out and taking those shots. The CAF seemed to work OK, I just didn't hold the shutter in the set mode too long.

My MG-SA tourer was just a little bigger than that, 4door. I loved that car!!! Took a while to fix up but it was fun to drive those Welsh lanes listening to that burble from the exhaust coming back off the stone fences. Course I put in a 4" copper exhaust and built the muffler myself. Red with Black fenders.

Last edited by Scouse; Aug 26, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:02 AM   #6

They're having another flying day this Sat. Going to see if I can get some shots. They're tossing in a car show as well, have to try my hand at that.
The weather is starting to break up, fingers crossed.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:16 AM   #7

....such a fun looking weekend, especially the MG. I always wanted a TD, but then I wanted a Triumph TR2 also, never got either.

Great photos, thanks for sharing your weekend.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:55 PM   #8

It's not too late, Bob.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:22 PM   #9

Wow Ken.. very nice and teh weather looks just perfect to watch and hear those Spit's and Hurri fly by! Fab stuff.

I'm off to the last airshow at Duxford next weekend and hopefully will get to see a few of the legends in the air too!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Wow Ken.. very nice and teh weather looks just perfect to watch and hear those Spit's and Hurri fly by! Fab stuff.

I'm off to the last airshow at Duxford next weekend and hopefully will get to see a few of the legends in the air too!
Looking forward to seeing your photos, Harj!