Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:00 PM   #1

Default Nina & Pinta

Replicas of the Christopher Columbus ships, Nina and Pinta (or, as one of the local bimbo newscasters said, "the Pinto!"), visit the port of Louisville for a few days. My wife and I went aboard the surprisingly small but sturdy ships. The forecastle on the destroyers I served on was bigger! A liberty boat from a current day aircraft carrier is bigger!! For those interested, here is a slide show: http://tinyw.in/MWJ1

Looking forward from almost as far aft as one can go, you see BOTH ships.

Coming down the ladder from the poop deck looking down on the quarterdeck and forecastle.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
My wife and I went aboard the surprisingly small but sturdy ships. The forecastle on the destroyers I served on was bigger! A liberty boat from a current day aircraft carrier is bigger!!
These are fun, Gary - thanks for posting! I haven't seen these two, but I have been aboard the Susan Constant in Jamestown, and remember thinking, "They crossed the North Atlantic in this?" And she was a century newer than the Nina and Pinto. ('Ya gotta love than name...)

Do the replicas have engines? I'm pretty sure those carracks were difficult to sail, in any direction except down-wind.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
These are fun, Gary - thanks for posting! I haven't seen these two, but I have been aboard the Susan Constant in Jamestown, and remember thinking, "They crossed the North Atlantic in this?" And she was a century newer than the Nina and Pinto. ('Ya gotta love than name...)

Do the replicas have engines? I'm pretty sure those carracks were difficult to sail, in any direction except down-wind.
Thanks, Ted. You're right, they are about the same size as the the Susan Constant.

No engines that were discernible. The Pinta has a john boat with a couple of bumpers and large outboard I imagine is used for mooring and possibly towing.

My Gallery

--
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
No engines that were discernible. The Pinta has a john boat with a couple of bumpers and large outboard I imagine is used for mooring and possibly towing.
Bingo - that's what they do. Many years ago I took a cruise on the J. & E. Riggin, an old schooner cruising in Penobscot Bay, and they lowered a johnboat, tied it to the stern and used its engine when they needed one. Looks like the same setup for the Pinta - the reason for the large fenders on the bow of the johnboat.

Thanks, Gary. Brings back memories.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Love these shots Gary. (Bit of sailingblood in me, I was out racing on the Sound last night.) I thought that if they were used as training ships that they had to have engines but I don't know what clasification these would come under.

Interesting that they're flying British Union Jacks without the diagonal flag of Ireland (incorporated in 1801) and the cross of St George at the lower mastheads. I guess Columbo and his Pinto came from Engerland.

Butt ugly john boat innitt. looks like it was made, and roughly, from a dumpster!

Last edited by Scouse; Aug 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Love these shots Gary. (Bit of sailingblood in me, I was out racing on the Sound last night.) I thought that if they were used as training ships that they had to have engines but I don't know what clasification these would come under.
I think they also have to have an engine if they're carrying passengers. But based on my experience in Maine, the johnboat qualifies.

Quote:
Interesting that they're flying British Union Jacks without the diagonal flag of Ireland (incorporated in 1801) and the cross of St George at the lower mastheads. I guess Columbo and his Pinto came from Engerland.
They're owned and operated by the Columbus Foundation, which is in the British Virgin Islands - presumably you're seeing a BVI flag. (I looked them up to see if they have engines but their web site doesn't say.) Any time you need help identifying a flag of the Commonwealth, just let us know.

Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Butt ugly john boat innitt. looks like it was made, and roughly, from a dumpster!
Yes! And they went through great pains to make the ships authentic - you'd think the boat would at least be made out of wood.

Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Bingo - that's what they do. Many years ago I took a cruise on the J. & E. Riggin, an old schooner cruising in Penobscot Bay, and they lowered a johnboat, tied it to the stern and used its engine when they needed one. Looks like the same setup for the Pinta - the reason for the large fenders on the bow of the johnboat.

Thanks, Gary. Brings back memories.
You're welcome, Ted. Glad I could provide.

Quote:
Love these shots Gary. (Bit of sailing blood in me, I was out racing on the Sound last night.) I thought that if they were used as training ships that they had to have engines but I don't know what clasification these would come under.

I knew you'd get a kick out of these, Ken. To be sure, I think this bunch just grabbed up a bunch of flags and hoisted 'em.
My Gallery

--
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:29 PM   #9

Quote:
They're owned and operated by the Columbus Foundation, which is in the British Virgin Islands - presumably you're seeing a BVI flag. (I looked them up to see if they have engines but their web site doesn't say.) Any time you need help identifying a flag of the Commonwealth, just let us know.
Thanks Ted. I'll be sure to do that...

Flag of the BVI
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:08 PM   #10

Nice shots and narrative Gary. Thanks for sharing those, and giving Ted and Ken a chance to look up flag information. LOL.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote