Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:09 PM   #1

Default Thoughts from Thom Hogan ... interesting read ...

Thom Hogan wrote a pretty interesting piece a week or so ago called the "The DX Problem" which could easily have been renamed "The FT Problem"... The article is about 1/3 of the way down...

" Of course, Nikon can look to their sales numbers and say "see, we're right," as Nikon has sold a boatload of DX bodies and convenience zooms (as has Canon). The problem is that Nikon simply doesn't see nor cater to the serious photographer who wants a smaller and lighter, but still pro caliber, set up. Ironically, they did just that in 2007 with the launch of the D300. But here it is five years later and we're in "what have you done for us lately" mode.

Worse still, Nikon doesn't seem to see the serious "reach market" (wildlife, predominately, but also some sports) nor the serious "smaller than those heavy FX bodies" market. Thus, there's not a lot of emphasis on a D300s replacement, a 16-50mm f/2.8 and 50-150mm f/2.8 DX lens set, a 16-80mm f/4 VR DX, a full set of DX primes, or any of the other things that a large number of DX users have been patiently waiting for....
But I think the real issue comes back to Hirai's quote: the Japanese camera companies think they know what's best for the users (I'm tempted to add "and herd them like cattle," but I won't ;~). I think they're wrong in this, particularly in the case of Nikon's recent treatment of DX. Let me put it this way, is a BMW 3 series a different brand statement than the BMW 5 series? No. But Nikon is slowly trying to make four different brand statements (Coolpix, 1, DX, and FX). That approach won't win the day in the long run.

The irony is that it really would only take three or four specific products to completely change the tide in DX (high spec body update, wide angle prime, fast constant aperture mid-range and telephoto zooms). Those aren't in replacement of anything. They don't really take sales away from anything else. They reward long term customers. They build long-term brand equity.. "

After reading it.. you could have easily replaced Nikon with Oly and it'd be the same thing and to think Oly basically has the entire lens line up already - its just missing a 300 or 400 F4 or F5.6 HG tele, the 100mm macro and a replacement E-X series body.

I think he's nailed it right on the head with ..."the Japanese camera companies think they know what's best for the users (I'm tempted to add "and herd them like cattle,"

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:22 PM   #2

Harj, this is a great quote and right on the money with respect to Oly and 4/3.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:22 PM   #3

Yeah .. I thought Thom was spot on with this even if its was for Nikons DX system and its even more so when you think about FT. Oly's in M43 land .. and theyre not concerned about FT or those that still use it ...

"They reward long term customers. They build long-term brand equity" - think needs to be sent to Oly as well..

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote