Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:53 AM   #11

[QUOTE=tkurkowski;1317152]Thanks. What plane did you help rebuild?
It was when I worked for Western Airlines they aquired one of their first planes (an old M2) and it needed a bit of work. I replaced the belly panels. Still have an end piece of one of the wing struts in my box of useless junk!

Yes, when they retired the fleet they donated one to the Smithsonian (they probably remembered the Smithsonian was founded by a Brit). (Of course!) There's no good place from which to photograph it but unlike most of the planes they have, you can walk around and beneath it. It's the opposite of the Shuttle, in the sense that it's much smaller than you would have expected.

It's like walking into an aluminium tube, I have to lower my head. They have one on 'walk through' status at boeing. Had the chance to take it from NY to LHR once. Airline discount special. The chance but not the money!!!

Huh? The original one silly, from the 1700's an old coal hauling barque that they let Cook use.

I know. I was just seeing if you were paying attention. NASA has always had an international viewpoint, that their work was intended to be inclusive of other countries. Look at the composition of the Shuttle crews over the years.

One of the great and expansive things about the program.

Western Air Express M2

I still have a leather belt with Western Air Express embossed on it. I made a buckle for it using a slice of "Copper nickle bronze" and one of the early pilots cap badges. Promised it to my grandson.

Great series Ted, Thanks for the memories..
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
It's like walking into an aluminium tube, I have to lower my head. They have one on 'walk through' status at boeing. Had the chance to take it from NY to LHR once. Airline discount special. The chance but not the money!!!

Western Air Express M2

I still have a leather belt with Western Air Express embossed on it. I made a buckle for it using a slice of "Copper nickle bronze" and one of the early pilots cap badges. Promised it to my grandson.

Yeah, I'd been told by someone who flew on it that it was pretty tight inside. It takes a lot of fuel to punch a supersonic hole in the air so you make the cross-section as small as possible. A pilot friend of mine once told me this was also true of one brand of piston engine airplanes, where they reduced the cross-sectional area enough to get the same airplane performance from a 4-cylinder engine as other brands that used a 6. I think it was Mooney? He said the problem was that it was pretty cramped with two people aboard.

I really do wish I could have flown in the Concorde but I had the same impediment you had. IIRC it was $8,000 which at the time could get you into a very nice pre-owned car.

That's not you flying the M2, is it?

Just kidding. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:03 PM   #13

Very nice series Ted, well done and thank you for sharing.
We don't have something like this here in Europe so it unique for me seeing this.
The 7-14 is also a lens I'm hunting at on E-bay but not many offers or if there are prices still to high above my budget. Your pictures are showing how excellent this lens is.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:31 PM   #14

Nah! This is me when I worked as a baggage handler. From Pony Express to airfreight.

Oh! My price for the Concord would have been just a couple of hundred with my discount... One way that is.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:31 PM   #15

Default Tell me more about the belt!!

I recently acquired a belt with Westerm Air Express on it. How old are these belts? Mine is leather and embossed and has a belt buckle with the head of an indian chief.

[QUOTE=Scouse;1317193]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Thanks. What plane did you help rebuild?
It was when I worked for Western Airlines they aquired one of their first planes (an old M2) and it needed a bit of work. I replaced the belly panels. Still have an end piece of one of the wing struts in my box of useless junk!

Yes, when they retired the fleet they donated one to the Smithsonian (they probably remembered the Smithsonian was founded by a Brit). (Of course!) There's no good place from which to photograph it but unlike most of the planes they have, you can walk around and beneath it. It's the opposite of the Shuttle, in the sense that it's much smaller than you would have expected.

Huh? The original one silly, from the 1700's an old coal hauling barque that they let Cook use.

I know. I was just seeing if you were paying attention. NASA has always had an international viewpoint, that their work was intended to be inclusive of other countries. Look at the composition of the Shuttle crews over the years.

One of the great and expansive things about the program.

Western Air Express M2

Bdud04 is offline   Reply With Quote