Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:15 PM   #1

Default Raw therapy and Oly E3 Raws

Installed Rawtherapy today just to see what it was like to use and how well the files compared to Lr4.1.

1. First impressions is the apps got a long way to go UI wise, esp when compared to LR but I'm slowly getting my head round it. If someone can point me to a good how to guide for Rawtherapy that would be cool.

2. PP's raw files from my first attempt seem to look better from RT than LR. The grain pattern seems to be a fair bit smoother than from LR, esp when you look at a blue sky. The Default camera WB also appears to be slightly warmer too.

3. File size from RT is actually larger than LR (56 pixels x 64 pixels) ? Not sure whats going on and its only a wee bit bigger:

LR JPEG - 2736 x 3648
RT 4.x JPEG - 2792 x 3712

Any ideas why the two files from RAW would be different ?

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:58 PM   #2

If your program opens your file in 16bit (photoshop does open it in 8bit standard) then this could lead to a bigger file at the end.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:00 PM   #3
Administrator

It looks like Oly uses 3648 x 2636 pixel JPEG images for that camera by default. So, Adobe is just using the same size when converting from raw, even though there may be an extra row/column of pixels available on the sensor that Olympus didn't take advantage of (and Raw Therapee apparently decided to let you see).

BTW, have you looked at Corel AfterShot Pro at all? Corel bought Bibble Labs a while back and relaunched Bibble Pro as AfterShot Pro (and they've made some changes and enhancements to the product along the way, while reducing the price at the same time).

You may want to download a trial and see how it works with the files from the E-3 to see if it compares well with LR4 or Raw Therapee.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...id=prod4670071

I bought it earlier in the year and have it installed in both Linux and Windows (although I haven't used it much under Windows, it's been very fast and very stable in Linux, so the Windows and OS X Versions are probably good, too).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:38 PM   #4

Hey Harj: I've heard some good things about After Shot Pro. I don't shoot in Raw, but from what I've heard from some other folks, it must be a pretty good program. I'm a registered Corel user, and if you want to buy After Shot Pro, I can give you the link to purchase it for $49 bucks. (Just recently went up from $39.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey Harj: I've heard some good things about After Shot Pro. I don't shoot in Raw, but from what I've heard from some other folks, it must be a pretty good program. I'm a registered Corel user, and if you want to buy After Shot Pro, I can give you the link to purchase it for $49 bucks. (Just recently went up from $39.)
I don't shoot a lot of RAW but when I do, AfterShot is the program I use. Steve turned me onto it a while back. Good stuff. If it would export to my web gallery, I'd use it for everything.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote