Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:13 AM   #1

Default Why is the 35-100f2 as big as it is ?

I've had the 35-100f2 for nearly 5 years now and I've never really been too bothered by its size until I saw the pick of the entire FT lens line up and noticed that the 150F2 was actually smaller. That surprised me as I'd always thought the prime was bigger so its got me wondering why is the beastie as big as it is ? I realise its a constant F2 and Oly went all out for IQ for the SHG but should the 35-100F2 be as big as it is ?

Here's a comparison with the Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR beastie and well.. the SHG with the hood looks massive.

I've hired an EC14 for a few days and the SHG looks even bigger with that attached !!! Lets hope I can get into the Olympic stadium this weekend with the SHG..

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 6, 2012 at 7:22 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:05 AM   #2

Good question, Harj. I've always assumed they wanted an f/2 to make up for the speed loss of the 4/3 sensor back then.

But do keep in mind that the Nikon is a full stop slower which makes a huge size and weight difference at longer focal lengths - to gain one stop you have to double the area of the front lens element. If they were going to design the lens today I figure they'd make it a 2.8 which would bring it down more to the size of that Nikon. But I doubt we'll ever see that happen - Oly doesn't seem interested in making high quality zoom lenses for 43 cameras.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:12 AM   #3

Ted, the size of the lens hood has always surprised me as it makes the lens look even bigger.

When I look at the 14-54MK and its compared to the equiv FF lens its smaller .. and this pic from DPr's review of the E1 with a 10D and D100 with the equiv lens clearly shows that. So you would have thought that for the 35-100 would have been smaller than the F2.8's from Canon/Nikon although it is a whole stop faster.

Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:36 AM   #4

Harj, I want to be clear that I do agree with you. I rarely take the 35-100 if I plan to do lot of walking - it's just too heavy and bulky. When I'm walking around and shooting in daylight, the Leica 14-150 has IQ almost as good (which is high praise), way lighter and smaller and although not cheap, it's way less expensive than the 35-100 as well.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Hey Ted, I know where on the same page and we both know that the beastie's a pretty special lens. I used to lug mine around all the time but not as much now but tomorrow and the weekend is going to be another story!

I think the 35-100's and the 14-35 are both a bit different from the other SHGs .. the others the 300F2.8/ 90-250, the 150F2 are all smaller than the equiv FF lens but the those two aren't. Now if they could do them again I wonder if they would have made the same decisions .. but kept the constant F2 .. could they be made smaller and still have the same IQ ?