Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
..I was at ISO800 most of the time ( I should have gone to IS1250 but sometimes my E3 will band so I decided not too) but ideally, a clean IS3200 would have been ideal from where I was sitting esp. I took approx 600 shots for the day so need to work through them and work out whats worth keeping.
I'm curious Harj, I have the intermediate ISO numbers like 1250 on my E330, but on my E-3 it goes in the even increments of 400, 800, 1600. Am I overlooking something in the menu options? Have you experimented with the difference in noise between ISO1250 vs ISO1600? It seems to me on my E-330 that the odd ISO numbers have more noise than the traditional ISO, that 1600 is better than the intermediate 1250. Just wondered if your experience was the same. I found it better to avoid the intermediate ISO numbers and stick to the traditional 200, 400, 800, 1600 on the E-330. I also find that the E-3 is better at ISO 800 & 1600 than the E-330.

Quote:
That seems to be an issue in the US also but there's no definition of "too big".

I will give credit to the Tampa stadium, they publish it up front: they prohibit bringing in cameras "longer than 12 inches, including body, lens and filter." That way you know exactly if your outfit will be allowed before you leave for the stadium, and you know that it is not left up to the whim of whoever is manning the entry gate.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:14 PM   #12

Hi Steve

Riley posted a comparison of ISO values ages back, which one of the guys on the forum did just after the E3 came out. Your right about the ISO values but I think the one exception was ISO1250 which had a lot less noise then the next stop up.

Camera and lens wise, the organisers specified that the lens could be no longer than 30cm...now with the beastie they didn;t even check it (i had to leave the EC14 off just incase) so I know the 150F2 would have got through without any problems. I only took the chance after my siblings went to see the first paralympic games and seeing members of the public with 70-200 2.8 L's on TV.

PS

Steve - there's an option in the Menu setting that may not be enabled -Menu -> Spanner Icon 1 -> Options EXP/ISO -> Select ISO Step and change it to 1/3EV and OK that. You should then get the other ISO values.

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Steve
............ ...........................
PS

Steve - there's an option in the Menu setting that may not be enabled -Menu -> Spanner Icon 1 -> Options EXP/ISO -> Select ISO Step and change it to 1/3EV and OK that. You should then get the other ISO values.
Thanks Harj, that is interesting to know. I figured that I must be overlooking something in the menu system. I'm still amazed at the amount of customization available in the deep menus of the E-3.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I'm still amazed at the amount of customization available in the deep menus of the E-3.
And once I got familiar with the menu system I started to lose enthusiasm for learning the menus for a different brand. Especially in times of action where you need to change settings quickly.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:17 PM   #15

Hey Steve

Not sure if you checked Wrotnaik's E3 Settings guide which is really useful.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-sett.html

Ted, I just set mine up and then usually leave them as is .. apart from when you need to do a full reset.

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote