Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2012, 6:55 PM   #1

Default 35-100F2 + EC14 some test shots

I managed to hire an EC14 from those lovely people at the Uk E- system hire group (http://e-group.uk.net/hire/hire_info.php/) and I've got my mitts on it for the next few days. First thoughts are my its a lot smaller than I thought it would be but it feels as solid as the 35-100 so thats really good.

I was out testing the E3 to check for that shutter issue - so far its been ok so I'm hoping its now fixed. Here's some sample pics all OOC Jpegs (Large fine only). default factory settings on the E3 after the factory reset.

1. F2.8 @ 1/800s ISO 200, 141mm (equiv 282mm)

Its a little soft wide open which I was expecting as thats what nearly everyone else had stated.

2. F4 @ 1/800s ISO 200, 141mm (equiv 282mm)

Stopping down to F4 ... a nice improvement and much sharper.

3. A needle in the middle of the pavement! As it was in darkest East London I'm surprised its not been stolen yet... thats going to happen after the Olympics when all the police and the army go away!

F4 @ 1/1250s ISO 100, 141mm (equiv 282mm)

4. 2nd attempt at shooting a moving target .. this was the first out of 4 and the only one infocus.

F4 @ 1/500s ISO 100, 141mm (equiv 282mm)

5. Olympic Park - F5.0 @ 1/800 ISO 200 73mm

Initial thoughts ..I was surprised how much bigger the beastie looks with it on. Focusing seems to be just as fast - no real hesitation and it just locks. The files at F2.8 are definitely softer but I was expecting that and get much better at F4.0 . Now having this setup.. im glad i dont have the 150F2 as it would sit at home . unless I did more sports or wildlife and with the E3 that would be pretty tough !

Going to test it with the 14-54 as well to see how it is .....

PS.. Anyone unable to get a ticket to any of the events today because the stadiums are all sold out .. esp the wheel chair tennis. The ticketing has been so appalling for both Olympics and Paralympics and it hurts even more when you live that close to the stadiums and can see that the events youve been trying to see are basically half empty. Below is one of 12 tennis courts at Eaton Manor _ my old tennis/ courts/cricket pitch and cycling track when we were kids.

Bye the way .. whats up with the US coverage of the Paralympic games.. theyve not even made the a column or two on the back pages of the likes of the NY times... I only saw one article on the Washington Post and that was it.. its as if the games are not even happening. In many ways I think these have been even better than the Olympics..Must hurt all of those athletes and their families seeing that theres not a dickie bird being mentioned back home.

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:36 PM   #2

Nice shots, Harj. Looks like that is a nice combination. I think you should go ahead and purchase one.

(P.S. -ESPN has been covering the paraolympics)
http://search.espn.go.com/paraolympics/
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:30 AM   #3

Good review, Harj. I've used it with the 50-200 occasionally but it's hard for me to hold that long a FL steady even with IS - for me a monopod is mandatory.

The only coverage of the Paralympics I saw was from NPR and even that was lame. You're correct that they deserved better in the US.

Ted

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:54 AM   #4

Hi Ted/Steve

I'm glad I hired the Ec14 and not the 20 .. it would have made the setup look way too big and I don;t think I could hand hold that setup at 400mm. Will I get the EC14 .. I'm thinking about it .. it would be really useful and at F4 it does look pretty good. I'm beginning to think the the 150F2 as is would be the better option simply for size, weight and range esp if you wanted the reach for a specific event:

size: 100 x 150mm (150F2) vs 96.5 x 213.5mm (35-100f2's)
weight : 1,465g vs 1,650g

So the 150F2 , is smaller than the 35-100 by 63mm and weighs nearly 200g less, so its actually about the same size as the 50-200 but 500g heavier and double the price.

Price is the killer so its not an option for me but if I had the money and wanted to do sports, I'd be seriously thinking about it although I'd want to see whether theres any new FT cam's planned before spending that kind of $$$ again.

Here's two more from today - just quick snaps both OOC Jpegs -1/1250 and 1/1000s @ F4 ISO 100

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:58 PM   #5

Yo, Steven! After listening to Harj describing his requirements, wouldn't you agree that the 90-250 is what he really needs?

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:29 PM   #6

Nice pictures Harj, the EC-14 doesn't seem to influenced the quality.
Still I'm not convinced if you not better had going in test with the EC-20.
It will give you a far better range for sure and a monopod is is a good solution for if hand held isn't possible. I have a mono pod that you can set on three tips, really something I can advice to anyone and better then running around with a tripod. This is the model I have LINK

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:57 PM   #7

Hey Guys

Been thinking of the PL25mm F1.4, the Sigma 50mm F1.4 or even the 35mm macro.. the Bigger beasties.. no way although if I won the lotto that might be a different situation.

I'm still not sure on the EC20, I think its too much reach for me with the 35-100 and I'd need a monopod to use and I've not been able to get comfortable using one to date. Its also a fair bit bigger than the EC14, so would make the beastie look even longer and I'm also not sure whether loosing 2 stops of light would be worth it for me. I might change my mind once I've got back from Duxford for the air show .. but if thats the case a 150F2 + EC1.4 would be a pretty sweet combo for that kind of shoot.

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:38 AM   #8

Finally inside the Olympic park today without getting the E3 and bits lifted at Security for being too big and used the combo for the blind 5 a side football. I could have done with that little bit extra reach of the EC20 as I was way up in the stadium but the Ec14 isn;t have bad at all with the beastie. Heading back to the athletics final so hoping to have a better seat and get some track event pics !!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:06 AM   #9

Last nights "Paralympics Athletics finals night" at the Olympic stadium was simply superb .. I've not seen anything like it ever and I cant wait to go and see the next one. Light was ok , I was at ISO800 most of the time ( I should have gone to IS1250 but sometimes my E3 will band so I decided not too) but ideally, a clean IS3200 would have been ideal from where I was sitting esp. I took approx 600 shots for the day so need to work through them and work out whats worth keeping.

Now regards the lens.. after using the 35-100f2 and the EC14 in the stadium, I'd say the 150F2 + EC14 would be the much better option even compared to the bigger SHG's which you'd never get into the stadium with, although the 50-200 would be ideal as well. The EC20 and loosing 2 stops of light and then having to stop down further would have been too much in the amount of light in the stadium. I think with an newer EX + 150F2+EC14 and as long as they'd fixed the AF you'd have a really great setup for doing the odd sports shoot.

Pics to follow in another post... In the meantime, I'm off to the airshow...

PS... Blind Football is amazing.. some of the Chinese players could teach the England squad a thing or two about ball control and the 400m final was just totally electric!

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 9, 2012 at 7:15 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Finally inside the Olympic park today without getting the E3 and bits lifted at Security for being too big
That seems to be an issue in the US also but there's no definition of "too big".

Looking forward to your photos.