Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:46 PM   #1

Default Paralympics Blind 5 a Side Football - E3 + 35-100F2+EC14

At the Olympic Park and watched the Blind 5 a side football (Iran vs China) which was pretty amazing when you see it in the flesh. Its a pretty full on game and a couple of the Chinese guys could teach the England Players a thing or two about ball control!

I'm going to watch out for the Blind footie matches.. they are definitely worth going to ... simply amazing stuff!

Pic taken with the E3 + 35-100 F2 + EC14 TC. All are med res OOC Jpegs.

ISO 200 F5.0 @ 1/650s 141 mm (equiv 282mm FF)

Penalties .....

China Wins 1-0 on penalties and comes 5th in games.

Again my positioning was not brilliant - we were way up in the stands as the stadium was packed out. The beastie and the EC14 did a fab job - no AF issues with the setup and I think I will be getting the EC14 but the 150f2 really appeals esp if paired up with the EC14.. it would be perfect for something like the 5 a sides but I know it would cramp my style of just taking candid's or change my style a bit.

I've not started working on any of the pics in LR yet .. will do so when I get some time...

Cheers

Harj

PS .. if you can catch the paralympics on line .. watch them as they have been simply amazing and them not being broadcast live by NBC and co is pretty shameful esp when you had people like Bradley Snyder competing..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...3a7_story.html

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM.
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:34 PM   #2

Those shots all work, Harj. Excellent composition, color, contrast, and focus on every one of them.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:21 AM   #3

Those are nice pictures Harj, very interesting and challenging to play soccer under those conditions.

In regular soccer games in my country the blind are the referees...!! :-)

Have a great day.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:54 PM   #4

Hey Marcelo..Steve

Yeah usually the ref's and their assistants pretty well have their heads where the sun don't shine but these guys were really good.

The football was at time pretty impressive.... the technical ball skills of two of the Chinese players was stunning and both teams played really well. Changed my opinion of the game totally.

In good light .. I don't think I had any out of focus which was a bit surpsing but I think the contrast between the pitch and the players definitely helped.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
In good light .. I don't think I had any out of focus which was a bit surpsing but I think the contrast between the pitch and the players definitely helped.
The angle helps - same as when I've photographed Major League Baseball as a fan in the stands shooting down from above - At those distances, with that dof when the camera focuses on the pitch instead of a player it's tough to notice a big difference. IOW, when the background is in the same focus plane as the subject it really helps
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:16 AM   #6

These are excellent. How do they know where the ball is? By sound?

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:49 PM   #7

Hey John/ Ted

Thats a good tip to know.. I was thinking I should have been way lower down in the stands...

Ted, they use a modified ball.. its heavier than normal, and has bells inside it so when it rolls across the pitch or gets kicked it makes a sound. Corners and free kicks would have a member of the opposing side that can see stand next to the goal post and hit it with what looked like a tube so the attackers could try and work out where the goal was....amazing stuff to watch and way better in the flesh.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 3:41 PM   #8

Very good series harjTT, unbelievable, blind football.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote