Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Default Photokina .. what to expect from Oly ???

I think were not going to get much or if any E-X news at Photokina from Oly. From 43 rumours it all seems to be another batch of m43 EP's and ZX2 cameras, the new pancake F8 lens (just dont understand that), plus a black version of the 12mmF2 (have you checked the prices on the black version and the hoods extra???!)..

I'm hoping I'm wrong but my gut feeling is that its going to be no new news .. other than "Akira san" Oly Japan stating ,... its an upgrade to the E5 and uses adapters but won;t focus your HG or SHg lens without a secondary adapter which is not is in development but possibly is and may be not the solution and it will be bigger than the E5 without the adapter and then possibly smaller with depending on the solution. Ohh and by the way if you want buy an E1 we still have a whole bunch in stock at HQ...
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:12 AM   #2

Mega stand for the OM-D5 is what you will find.
In the Belgian forums I can see that many people are buying the OM-D5.
Will you go to Photokina?
I still have my doubts about going or not.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:30 AM   #3

Hey Pascal

I'd have loved to have been able to go to Photokina but work's got in the way.

I'm glad I didn't go as I'd have said a thing or two to the Oly folks which I'm sure they would have really "appreciated". Well, at least Photokina turned out as I thought it would ... lots of gear from all the others and a damp squid from Oly.. This photokina was the right time to talk about the E7 and even just a mockup would have been ok but nope nothing, so I think theyre going to loose many more FT users to Canikon/Sony etc... Will there be anyone left in 12-18months thats still holding onto their SHGs or is that the cunning plan... "There are no more HG/HG users .. so no need tomake the E7!"

Sometimes the sayings "They think its all over..." and "turn the lights out after you leave" are more than apt for the position that FT users are in.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:04 AM   #4

Whilst I have no doubts that hard working Pros, and members such as the OP would have loved to have heard by now news of a new E-X model, I still consider myself lucky to have a fine camera in the E-3, it takes fine images now and will continue to do so, only constrained by my own lack of talent and skill.

I agree that I would fear that many FT users would simply ditch their gear due to a lack of confirmation of commitment by Olympus and go to the big two.

I personally have just been on the merry-go round, I bought a OM-D, sold all my E-3 including some great SWD lens, just did not get on with it at all, mainly due to size and handling, it felt more like a piece of jewelry than a solid camera, at great financial loss I then sold the OM-D and have slowly again built up a E-3 kit, albeit not as good as I had, lesson learned, the grass is not always greener....

So, although we have not heard any confirmation of a new model, I will happily carry on with my E-3, and will hopefully pick up the droppings of those departing the Olympus ranks.

I agree completely that Olympus should come out and just say what they are doing, it is how i would want to be seen as doing as business and I think it is only right.

Just my slant, not meant as any critique of the clearly wonderful M4/3 OM-D, it just did not suit me.

Leeston

E-3 14-42mm 18-180mm, 70-300mm
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:54 AM   #5

I'm wondering if Oly is hesitant to commit to specifics until the cash injection from Sony is decided upon and if accepted, what conditions Sony has placed on the camera division.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:39 PM   #6

FYI: Very interesting. Onfoto interview with Mr. Terado at Photokina
You can read the whole interview English translation at this site: http://www.onfoto.ru/event/Photokina-2012/1980.html

"DK: What about the Four Thirds cameras?
TT: It's still the same situation, we're studying the market, and there's a lot of consideration inside the company. We're studying several types of solutions for this product. The direction is of course higher image quality with smaller and more compact size like OM-D. It's always appreciated even with 4/3 users. We have to find a solution to combine small size with much higher image quality. We're studying several ideas to make the product more attractive.

DK: So it won't necessarily be a DSLR camera? Just some type of digital camera. Or do you mean you're developing different models?
TT: We like to provide the products for the 4/3 lens users. Most importantly, we like to provide new products that they can use. Ability of fast autofocus is the main point and the main problem. It can be solved in different ways, and it could be a DSLR camera, or it could be not. We are convinced about the 4/3 users, we like the product, we can utilize this 4/3 lenses. Additionally, we are now considering a solution to have a smaller size products. The 4/3 lenses are quite big, so what would the best size of the product be? "
"DK: Frankly, I am personally still not quite convinced with the CSC concept. The bright clean real picture seen through an optical viewfinder still is a great advantage of DSLR cameras.
TT: That is right, but the EVF also have its advantages, and we all know them. Let's see in a three years - we will have new EVFs that should satisfy even the most critical photographers."

I thought the whole interview was interesting. There seems to be something coming in the future in a 4/3 body, but it sounds like it will be smaller than the E-5. And they appear to be within 3 years of developing an EVF that will be the equivalent of an OVF.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:59 PM   #7

I had a quick read of the interview and personally its all "ifs and buts" ,,, 3-4 years for an EVF that matches an OVF I can say is a reasonable time frame and they may be able to achieve that before then but there won;t be any FT shooters left by then. I think its just a smoke screen ..the E5's nearly 2.5 years old and it was basically using old tech even at launch while my E3 is 5 years and counting. I think Photokina's on a 2 year cycle, so the next ones in 2014 .. and I personally won't be waiting that long for them to bring out an E7. When you look at the likes of Sony/Canon/Nikon/Pentax they show commitment to their existing user base even it makes some of their users pull out their hair ... and Canons 6D just did looking at the numerous forum posts. Since the switch to m43 .. thats simply not been forth coming from Oly. I was hoping that they would have at least given a real indication of an E-5 successor but nope , just hot air in my book ..

"TT: It's still the same situation, we're studying the market, and there's a lot of consideration inside the company. We're studying several types of solutions for this product. The direction is of course higher image quality with smaller and more compact size like OM-D. It's always appreciated even with 4/3 users. We have to find a solution to combine small size with much higher image quality. We're studying several ideas to make the product more attractive. "

I know its a Japanese to English translation and words do get lost or the meaning changes but what does that actually mean ??? So if they're still studying to make a product.. where looking at what a 2 year design to market cycle.. and right now there is still an E system user base (well whats left of it) .. give it another 12-18months they'll be very few left and then they'd be right to say that there is no viable market and therefore no need for developing a FT cam. Do we even know whether they are actively manufacturing any of the FT lenses still and what about the E5 ? Over at DPR one of the guys posted this:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=42534522

Personally, whats the point of that presentation with the E5 on it .. ??? Its a token gesture in my book because everything else that they have demonstrated is about m43 and FT lenses are in Oly's own words "legacy glass".

We all now that the E3/E5's are still pretty amazing cam's and my E3 + SHG still amazes me but they're not going to last forever and I for one am not going to pay $1800.00/1300.00 for an E5. My concern is if my E3 fails what to do ? The E5 to me simply isn't enough esp as its still nearly MRP after 2.5 years ... I'd like to get the 14-35F2, may be even the 150F2 and then I would be set but theres no way that I am ever going to be spending that kind of $$$ on anymore Oly glass with a company that simply refuses to be clear with its commitment to a format that it developed. Its simple common courtesy to your existing customers. If FT is over then Oly should simply state it and thus provide us with a clear path as to which way we should go, instead it looks as if theyre totally clueless.

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:53 AM   #8

Olympus is doing it again, OM2 now digital 4/3 E-System. but the cost to jump ship arraahh.
they need to move fast to keep us continuing to invest in their system.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote