Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:35 PM   #1

Default Sony to apparently invest 50 billion yen in Olympus

Per the Google translation of the Japanese website NHK.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2012...032201000.html

"Final adjustment in partnership with Olympus Sony
September 14, 5:18 minutes
Final adjustment in partnership with Olympus Sony

Narrowed down to "Sony" of major electronics manufacturers to partner with funded 50 billion yen, "Olympus" we have discussed, the development of medical equipment state-of-the-art capital alliance with several companies in response to the incident window dressing such co-founded a new company that, I went into the final adjustments in the direction of a wide range of partnership.

Financial base to deteriorate rapidly, such as the historic appreciation of the yen is superimposed over the accounting fraud scandal by former executives, Olympus has been negotiating toward capital alliance with several major manufacturers.
As a result, I went into the final adjustments in the direction of your opponent down to Sony officials said, a wide range of partnership.
Specifically Olympus policy is funded by the scale of 50 billion yen from Sony, rebuild their financial foundation.
In addition, a new company to develop medical devices of the next generation, such as endoscopic higher definition, alive video technology superior, such as the 3D technology and relates to an endoscope level of the world's top Olympus has, Sony has the advantage I aim to co-founded.
Furthermore, in order to leverage the business of digital cameras Olympus slump continues, it is the policy of promoting cooperation and joint development of parts.
This partnership is intended to Olympus and you want to hurry the strengthening of the financial base, the aim of Sony that you want to the pillars of a new business in the healthcare field is matched, the two companies have decided to try to agree as well during the month."

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:36 PM   #2

Hey Steve

Spotted that late yesterday.. its good news for Oly and Sony but whether its going to fileter down to the camera division at Olympus who knows. The main thing is that Oly now has access to a top end sensor.. If OLy had been able to use Pana's GH1/GH2 sensors in the E5 or even the E30 I think they would have had many more upgraders from the E1/E3.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:20 PM   #3

Yes Harj, I think that access to the sensors will be a big improvement. The Sony sensor that they developed for the Oly OMD-EM5 has certainly proven to be top notch.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:32 PM   #4

Default An update

I think that the final official press release at the end of September, which confirmed the agreement, had an interesting point that confirms what most suspected. I can see a big benefit from the proven sensor ability of Sony.

From Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/28/sony-olympus-rescue/
"The deal also includes a component-sharing agreement in the photography space, with Olympus mirror cells and camera lenses being given to Sony, while image sensors (where Sony is very strong) will go the other way."

From the final press release the actual wording listed on Sony's website:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...28E/index.html
"(2) Camera Business
The two companies also aim to enhance their competitiveness, primarily in the area of compact digital cameras, by exploring opportunities for mutually beneficial transactions and collaboration between their respective camera businesses, including the supply of Olympus technologies such as camera lenses and mirror cells to Sony, and the provision of Sony image sensors to Olympus."
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:42 PM   #5

Looks promising, it is waiting now what Olympus can bring with these Sony sensors.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote