Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:30 PM   #1

Default Any thoughts on the Sigma 50mm F1.4 ?

Hi Guys

Has anyone used the Sigma 50mm F1.4 and if so whats i like with the E cam's. - bokeh, contrast, QC - build quality, focusing ?

I'm thinking of getting one as a walk about and portrait lens .. the 35mm macro also appeals and so does the 50mm F2 but the beastie already covers both of those at F2. As a portrait lens, it should be a lot less intimidating to anyone in front of the cam compared to the 35-100F2. Ideally I'd get the 25mm F1.4 PL but I don;t fancy spending that kind of $$$ on a lens until I know whether FT has a future or not and right now the Sigma can be had for 300.00 and thats fine by me.

Here's the pic of the 50mm F1.4 on the E3 at Photokina 2008/2009 on Sigmas stand (Pic orginally from 43 user.com)

Ok.. this is a pic at 50mm FF on a D700 (photo.net) and to me the bokeh looks pretty good and that was taken at F1.4 so looks pretty sharp to me.

Cheers

HArj

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:06 AM   #2

I did found this review that is pretty positive about this lens.
Somewhere I still have my doubts if the Zuiko 2,0 is not better.
Depends all on what price you can buy this Sigma lens, difficult to find and prices almost on those of the Zuiko.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:23 PM   #3

Hey PaScal

thanks for finding that link.. I hadn;t been able to find anything on the 50mm... Its good that he pointed out the CA, which for an F1.4 lens I think is going to be par for the course, although " It also has a bit of bokeh CA behind (green) and in front of (red) the focal plane." took me by surprise and if its hard to deal with could be a pain.

From the looks of it, the 50mm seems to be pretty sharp too - @f2.8 its definitely sharper than the 14-54ZD @F3.5 so thats a plus point. Still in two minds on whether to get the lens or the EC14 .. its price is good and it'd be easier street shooting with it and portraits with it.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:35 AM   #4

Hi, Harj

I have seen a number of discussions about the 30mm Sig versus the 25mm Summilux, but I don't recall seing any about the 50mm Sig. Can you find one locally to try?

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:10 AM   #5

I found this end note on DPreview when they did test the zuko 50mm:

We expect many potential buyers will be interested in comparing the 50mm F2 Macro to the Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM, which has been recently announced in Four Thirds mount. Our recent review of this lens (albeit in Canon EF mount) should give a good idea of what to expect; the Sigma is likely to be no slouch on Four Thirds, but unsurprisingly for a lens designed for a format with four times the area, won't quite achieve the same stellar levels of sharpness we see from the Olympus macro. The faster maximum aperture and more refined ring-type USM focusing will surely make the Sigma a compelling option for portrait shooters, but in all other regards the Zuiko is likely to be the better all-round option.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:26 AM   #6

Good find, Pascal. But note that many folks have noted that the ZD's legendary sharpness tends to be a disadvantage for portraiture (although great for other types of photography especially macro). And it's relatively slow autofocus isn't good for street shooting.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:18 AM   #7

I've thought about the 50mmF2 but the beastie already covers that and as a portrait lens it can end up being liek a macro lens at times, showing up all sorts of details and in a studio it is seriously sharp. I also don;t like the fact that the macro does hunt and really needed a focus limiter so the last thing I want is the lens hunting around waiting for it to find focus. It would however be useful for food photography but I've not done any quiet some time. The sigma though gives better low light option .. being able to shoot ar F1.4 would be really handy, although I think the PL is better wide open and at 25mm the better walk about lens.