Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default I didn't know they were doing this:

apparently McDonald's has been building some "Retro" stores:



This one is in my home town (Lombard, IL) not far from the McDonald's corporate headquarters and Hamburger U.

It's also not far from the first franchise store built by Ray Kroc to start his empire:



The first one is now a museum, hence the fence around it (credit: the above photo is from Wikipedia).

I haven't seen any of the retro designs in the mid-Atlantic area - have any of you seen one? It's interesting to me simply because I watched the franchises expand dramatically as I grew up. The viewpoint of me, my family, and everyone I knew was that their mass-production hamburgers were nowhere near as good as the mom-and-pop hamburger stands in existence at the time. But we didn't realize that McDonald's would wipe them all out, like Amazon wiped out most bookstores.

PS: My photo was taken with the ZD 11-22, which makes a nice travel companion to the L1 camera.
__________________
Ted

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
apparently McDonald's has been building some "Retro" stores:



This one is in my home town (Lombard, IL) not far from the McDonald's corporate headquarters and Hamburger U.

It's also not far from the first franchise store built by Ray Kroc to start his empire:



The first one is now a museum, hence the fence around it (credit: the above photo is from Wikipedia).

I haven't seen any of the retro designs in the mid-Atlantic area - have any of you seen one? It's interesting to me simply because I watched the franchises expand dramatically as I grew up. The viewpoint of me, my family, and everyone I knew was that their mass-production hamburgers were nowhere near as good as the mom-and-pop hamburger stands in existence at the time. But we didn't realize that McDonald's would wipe them all out, like Amazon wiped out most bookstores.

PS: My photo was taken with the ZD 11-22, which makes a nice travel companion to the L1 camera.
Cool! Now, if they'd just go retro on the PRICES!
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

And another item of note is that most Mickie Ds have free wi-fi in their stores now.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
And another item of note is that most Mickie Ds have free wi-fi in their stores now.
I wonder why. Their business model has been to not have folks stay any longer than necessary to eat.
__________________
Ted

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Cool! Now, if they'd just go retro on the PRICES!
Haven't been in a McD in a long time, but in the fast food places I've been in lately it seems like fast food prices are high enough that you don't need to spend much more to get a real meal in an inexpensive restaurant.
__________________
Ted

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I wonder why. Their business model has been to not have folks stay any longer than necessary to eat.
I'm not a fan of McDonalds food, but I was in Atlanta for a while recently, and McDonalds was the closest wi-fi available. I usually ate somewhere else every evening, but would then stop by to use my laptop to check e-mail, etc. Even I ended up buying a milkshake or something every night while I was working on my laptop. There were a lot of college age students there using their laptops and buying drinks or food while there. They had a special section with power plugs in the walls beside the tables, and even a wide screen TV with the cable news on. Looks like they are getting a lot of evening business from people who are staying in the restuarant for longer times.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Sounds like they're expanding their business model, which makes sense considering the on-line requirements of their customer base.

BTW, Steven, they don't sell milkshakes. They sell shakes, and the closest those ingredients ever get to a cow is if a delivery truck happens to drive past a dairy farm.
__________________
Ted

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
......
............

BTW, Steven, they don't sell milkshakes. They sell shakes, and the closest those ingredients ever get to a cow is if a delivery truck happens to drive past a dairy farm.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:55 PM.