Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Default Olympus interview at Imagine Resource

Oly's had some more chin wagging over at Imaging Resource

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...s-competititon

Here's what we love about Oly:

DE: That touches on another question from a reader about SLR versus mirrorless. It sounds like nearly all of your focus is on the mirrorless cameras. Does that mean you've stopped developing the existing Four Thirds or E-series camera system and you're putting everything into mirrorless?

Ogawa: Of course, we're reaching a high level of performance with our Micro Four Thirds mirrorless product, but we are still not satisfied with these at the professional level. That's why we think we still need the E-System to satisfy professional photographers.
One reason for this is the lens lineup. The E-System has a super high-grade lens lineup that we're still maintaining. These lenses have a really, really good reputation from even top professional photographers.
When we introduced the E-5, it was really well accepted by photographers, along with its high-grade lenses. After launching the E-M5, we've shown the benefit of compact size, even for the professional photographer and other Four Thirds users.
As we consider a successor for the E-5, we are not only chasing high image quality and high performance. We would also like to provide the benefits of a small body size. You may remember these policies were also a key part of the Four Thirds concept itself. We are considering several different ideas for a body that would accept Four Thirds lenses, but would also have on an acceptably compact size.
At this moment, we cannot say anything for sure, because there are many possibilities -- it could be Micro Four Thirds, or Four Thirds, or somehow a hybrid. We are currently studying several options, but we've not yet decided what form the camera should have."

Lets see "As we consider a successor for the E-5.." or better stilll "there are many possibilities -- it could be Micro Four Thirds, or Four Thirds, or somehow a hybrid...." so I'm assuming that means they're only now really looking it an E7... .. you couldnt make this stuff up...
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2

I'm guessing it's all up in the air given the joint venture with Sony. The key seems to be providing a smallish camera that can use those great lenses. Maybe translucent mirror?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:18 PM   #3

Classic. Saying a lot in order to say nothing. Certainly nothing we don't already know.

They may wind up going down the Sony SLT, fixed mirror-sort of line. Whatever it winds up being, assuming it does end up being at all, I'm willing to bet the optical finder is gone with the E-5.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Classic. Saying a lot in order to say nothing.
So they're the ones advising our presidential candidates? Oooops - sorry - off-topic.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:42 PM   #5

I think the political guys have advisors who learned from Olympus.

When I go into the voting booth in November I'm hopeful there's a "no" option somewhere.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:56 PM   #6

This is great news for the Olympus users, at least Oly still supporting the idea of create more 4/3 products or/and transition the system to u4/3.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I'm guessing it's all up in the air given the joint venture with Sony. The key seems to be providing a smallish camera that can use those great lenses. Maybe translucent mirror?
more like a translucent memory
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:37 AM   #8

"Other SLR manufacturers have to take care of both DSLR and mirrorless. Our strength is we can just concentrate on the mirrorless business for the moment."

Me think OVF is dead for now.
I think the E-m7 will handle the 4/3rd lens line up. and E5 is still for those hooked into this system.

The question is at what stage do you abandon the Olympus System? I do wedding Photography and I do not see my self turning up at weddings with a Small mirrorless camera system.
So do I buy E5 or sell my E System and jump ship. while I still can get a small return on my stuff.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote