Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Default Birds in Flight

WARBIRDS, that is!
Here's a brace, here:-

The venerable P51 along With the Grumman P7Y ? (or summat.) I'm not familiar with this bird but it's a Beautiful machine

Terry and I went to the last "fly in" of the year at Paine Field today and decided to have a look in their museum. Fantastic for a private collection a lot of it funded by Paul Allen, Bill Gates' buddy. Can't keep those "BILLIONS" in your mattress, it gets too lumpy.

The theme was "Ground Attack Day" Great to see those old war birds getting a workout.

Took the old E500 for a workout along with old faithfull the 70-300, for the outdoor shots that is. I used the kit 18-45 for the indoor shots. Outdoors, for the most part I shot at around f8-f10 at 1/800. Pushed the iso to 400, that's a lot for the 500. I thought I'd set it to 340 but musta slipped.
For my image stabilizer I had the monopod under my arm and shot like a rifle. Seemed to work.

Then the old P47 Warhawk paired with an Ilyushin IL-2M3 Shturmovik. Say that after a couple of drinks

Last edited by Scouse; Sep 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2

Here they are as they taxi out. The B25 Mitchell was supposed to fly with them today but they found a cracked cylinder last night so withdrew it. That would have been something.

Last edited by Scouse; Sep 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:30 PM   #3

Excellent way to spend time on sunny Saturday. Like I said this was the last fly in of the season but Terry and I plan on visiting the museum more often. Mid week on quiet days. There was too many people today for comfort and photography.

A couple here of other planes but there will be more to come. I wasn't happy with the light or angles on a lot. A little tight in a packed hangar. But better than none.

Here's a half dressed Hurricane, showing what she's got:-

The Spitfire showing off her 20mm cannon:-

Right first time, the P51 Mustang:-

The "wounded" B-25 Mitchell

Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4

They have this Mock up of a Lancaster nose and cockpit. Fun for me to see, one of the great British planes of the war, with 4 of those Rolls Royce Merlins hauling it.

Then there were these two thingys in there.
How in the hell they got them to fly is beyond me.....

For a slide show of more try here.
https://picasaweb.google.com/CamanoR...81800021601602

Last edited by Scouse; Sep 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
WARBIRDS, that is!
Here's a brace, here:-

The venerable P51 along With the Grumman P7Y ? (or summat.) I'm not familiar with this bird but it's a Beautiful machine

Then the old P47 Warhawk paired with an Ilyushin IL-2M3 Shturmovik. Say that after a couple of drinks
Really good job, Ken. Especially considering that you were using the old E-500 with a slow focusing 70-300 lens. Very impressive shooting.

(We just need to bring you a little up to speed on your aircraft nomenclature. The beautiful blue twin engined Naval aircraft is not a P7Y. It is the F7F Tigercat. Didn't come out in time for WWII, but did see action in Korea. You are right that it still is a beautiful machine. There are several in museums around the country, including one right down the road from me at the Fantasy of Flight museum in Lakeland, FL. But there are only a few still flying around the country, so that is a rare plane that you captured. And the P47 was known as the Thunderbolt; the Warhawk was the name of the older P40. )

LOL Feel free to bring me up to date on all the British WWII aircraft that I'm not familiar with!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:12 PM   #6

No, thanks for that. I probably should have listened while the announcer was doing his thing. I was a little involved though.

At least I got "Ilyushin IL-2M3 Shturmovik" right...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:19 PM   #7

Really good captures, Ken! I love photos of the old warbirds especially when they're flying. And I've never seen an F7F Tigercat regardless of how you number it...

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:27 PM   #8

Nice when you can fold it up and tuck it away in a corner as well. A very slightly similar, in concept to my all time fav. The mosquito....Two big merlins pulling some balsa wood and stuff.

Still a lovely plane though.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:02 PM   #9

I always liked the Mosquito as well. It seemed to me that even though things looked very dark at the time, Britain had the cojones to build a hot rod.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:36 PM   #10

Hey Ken

Some fab pics of some wonderful birds.. and you did a better job with the 70-300 then I managed with the 35-100F2 + EC ... !

I'm with you and Ted on the Mossie.. its just one beaut of a plane and my thoughts when I saw the P7Y was hey a blue mossie minus the nose guns.

The P47 looks a real beaut and the Lancaster mokup reminds of a similar set up at the Imperial War Museum in Central London. I cant remember if they allow you to get inside it but it shocked me how cramped and small the fuselage on the bombers were.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote