Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:52 PM   #1

Default question on what to use

I have been asked to photograph a wedding end december.
Because it is family I said yes, but now I have some fear also because I don't want to mess up for sure.
What lenses should I use best?
Somewhere I have the believe the 14-54 mkII will be in use the whole day or I'm I wrong here?

Does anyone has experience in this?

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:14 PM   #2

Assuming it's indoors you for sure will need a good flash and a reflector (I recommend the Demb). Do a Google search on "wedding photography advice" (include the quotation marks to search on the phrase).

You're taking it seriously (which is good) so be prepared to have so much concentration on what you're doing that you won't really be able to participate in the wedding itself. At all. Does your family understand this? It's not like shooting a children's birthday party - do they know what they're asking of you?.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:58 PM   #3

Hi Lordje: Ted has some good points. It is not an easy job; I shot one wedding for a relative years ago, and vowed never to do that again. LOL.

My only additional suggestion as far as equipment, I agree that that your E-3 with 14-54mm will probably be used the most. You should also carry your E-500 with the 50-200 atttached in case you have a shot where you need extra reach. It's much easier to pick up the second camera for a quick shot rather than trying to change lens on your main camera. In addition to a good flash, I would also suggest that you carry extra high capacity Cf cards, and extra charged batteries. And set your E-3 to shoot both RAW and High quality JPEGS. Good luck and keep us advised as you prepare your equipement. Let us know your final preparations before the big day arrives.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Ted has some good points.
Hmmmm - I think that should be my new signature line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I shot one wedding for a relative years ago, and vowed never to do that again. LOL.
Yep - me too. But it may be hard for Pascal to say no if they have a limited budget. However, if they're simply thinking "Why spend the money for a pro - anyone with a good camera can do it." then that's the time to say no and explain why not. Practically speaking, they're basically asking him not to attend the wedding.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:51 AM   #5

Thank you for the advice Ted and Steven.

The problem is indeed that they don't have the budget. I just want that they will have nice memory's and that I will not mess up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 4:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
Thank you for the advice Ted and Steven.

The problem is indeed that they don't have the budget. I just want that they will have nice memory's and that I will not mess up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Just remembered, I did a wedding for friends some 20 years ago with the old OM2 and film. Nice thing is that they're still friends and had an album made for themselves with the prints.
I kept them tight and personel, just make sure you get good shots of the parents, the mothers that is. Take lots you're not restricted to film. Take posed and informal and some they don't know about.

Do all the PP work and cropping, choose the ones to show them before they see them.

And, Good luck.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
I just want that they will have nice memory's and that I will not mess up.
So you're sticking with the story about what Alan Shepard said when he was strapped into the Mercury capsule to take the 15 minute flight that made him the first US astronaut in space (long before he landed on the moon):
"Please Lord don't let me f*ck up."

(That quote is not accurate, only commonly believed. What he really said is described in #2 here. )

Anyway, good luck. Your heart is in the right place so you'll do fine. One thing I thought of that we forgot to mention is extra batteries for the flash unit. (Which flash do you have?) Also, if you're shooting people who are sitting down, I think those photos are always more natural if you bend your knees and get the camera closer to their eye level. (People often remember that when shooting children but forget that when shooting adults.)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:21 PM   #8

I have done a whole wedding using the 12-60mm but you do need a flash fl-50 or fl-50R plenty of batteries, use bounce.
the advantage of Olympus is the focus range, you can get detail shots to wide angle to almost telephoto. with one lens. You must shoot Raw as the speed you will work at, this will give you room to fix shots.
I find the best way is to try and capture the Day and tell a Story my little motto is "A Day Captured Forever"
Also split the day up ie at the house as she gets ready to the church, group photos, speeches, 1st dance and later.
Split day up with cards also. This protects you from putting all your photos in 1 large card (basket), then put each card in wallet so you have them protected.
make sure you will not run out of space when crucial moments are cumming up, ie in church, 1st dance ect, check capacity and batteries before these moments come up.

Enjoy it
all these shots taken with 12-60mm, and fl-50 flash when needed check exif data.
Attached Images

Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:24 PM   #9

use photo software to enhance photos also
Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:41 PM   #10

have fun
Attached Images