Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:53 PM   #1

Default A Kansas Trail

I took these photos this morning (Oct. 21) at a Nature Park that is being developed in Junction City, Kansas. A local family donated 55 acres of land on the edge of JC with the specification that it be turned into a park. This land has quite varied terrain-meadows, heavy timber, a small stream, uphill, downhill, it's really quite beautiful and every area offers a new surprise. The trails have been begun with all volunteer efforts--a group of Americorps Youth spent 8 weeks this summer cutting trees, removing heavy brush, cutting steps into native limestone to ease the way uphill-and the results, while still in the early development stages are amazing. The plan is for the entire park to be completed with no tax funding. Many local people have donated time, tools (can you say MANY chainsaws) and cash to get this going. Determination and willing hands can still accomplish amazing thing!
Attached Images

spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:24 AM   #2

nice series of pictures, my favorite is picture number 2.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:00 PM   #3

....great introduction to the nature park Angie. It is really wonderful what can happen from volunteering.

We've a nature preserve here in Arlington, much the same as the JC park, ours is 58-acres, pristine, never developed and is now in the city parks dept plans for some trails and a very small parking area. I prefer to keep it as it is, the park is 1/2 mile from my home; I go into it usually 2 or 3 times each year, not many know about it nor how to go into it.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:30 PM   #4

Nice shots Angie; and thanks for the story. Very interesting.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....great introduction to the nature park Angie. It is really wonderful what can happen from volunteering.

We've a nature preserve here in Arlington, much the same as the JC park, ours is 58-acres, pristine, never developed and is now in the city parks dept plans for some trails and a very small parking area. I prefer to keep it as it is, the park is 1/2 mile from my home; I go into it usually 2 or 3 times each year, not many know about it nor how to go into it.
The plans for this area are to keep it pretty simple--very like yours, a parking area and developing trails throughout the acreage. Right now the trail areas are simply cleared of trees and brush and then the native grass has been mowed--all by the Americorps youth (and what a great bunch of young people they were) and a bunch of JC firefighters and a small group of additional volunteers. Many, many hours have been devoted to this project. The future plans are to line the trails with either gravel cedar chip type ground cover; as well as developing a few more trails. The land is quite varied, many types of deciduous trees and areas of primarily evergreen trees. All kinds of wildflowers abound and the terrain drops into heavy timber and climbs into upland open meadow. A lovely little stream meanders throughout the acreage. There is discussion about labeling the various trees/plants here and there. I do hope that it stays as low key as is yours.
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote