Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:04 AM   #1

Default AF woes .. 35-100F2 + E3 @F2

Took the E3 + the beastie out for a test run a few days ago and shot at F2. Noticed the AF was way off even with IS set too off. Here's some sample pics

SAF, Central AF point all shots pre-focused and then recomposed. All pics low res jpegs OOC. THink 50%+ of teh pics taken were OOF.

1. Focus point was on the man's head sitting on the wall

2. Focus point is on the top right hand corner of the first wooden frame. I thought there was enough contrast at that point for the AF not to miss focus.

3. Focus point - the tallest broom

4. Focus this time was on the lady presenter face - shes stationary at this point and had been for at least 10 secs.

5. Focus point - the mans face

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:11 AM   #2

I had woes from time to time too

Sometimes I got out of it by swapping a battery,
I cant explain why but when I did it seemed to be OK again.
Ive also learned that hot swapping lenses creates real AF issues for me

hope you can work it out Harj
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:44 PM   #3

Seems hard to get a proper focus if I understand good.
Did you test this also on another body, is it the same effect then?

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:35 PM   #4

I was pretty shocked at how many OOF images I was getting. I was expecting to get a few when shooting wide open but what I actually got was unacceptably bad. The camera simply wasnt able to focus on the first guys head even though he was stationary for several minutes before moving on. Luckily I was just on a recce and testing to see what the output at F2 was like on a more regular basis.

Riley, I didnt try changing batteries as the one in the E3 was fully charged. I reseated the lens twice just to see if that helped and checked to see what it was like with IS and Focus limiter on/off but it didnt seem to make any difference. Also had the dreaded shutter not firing as well.

I'll need to do some more testing with both the 14-54 and the beastie to see if its the same or not.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
I was pretty shocked at how many OOF images I was getting. I was expecting to get a few when shooting wide open but what I actually got was unacceptably bad. The camera simply wasnt able to focus on the first guys head even though he was stationary for several minutes before moving on. Luckily I was just on a recce and testing to see what the output at F2 was like on a more regular basis.

Riley, I didnt try changing batteries as the one in the E3 was fully charged. I reseated the lens twice just to see if that helped and checked to see what it was like with IS and Focus limiter on/off but it didnt seem to make any difference. Also had the dreaded shutter not firing as well.

I'll need to do some more testing with both the 14-54 and the beastie to see if its the same or not.
You may want to try cleaning the contacts, too, Harj.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:27 PM   #6

I've never used the E3 and the only trouble I've had like this is 'pilot error' Putting the lens or the camera on MF. Feel stoopid but it happens.... Just sayin.

Good luck!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:08 PM   #7

I agree with gjtoth, sometimes removing lens from body and reattaching cures it. I have had to do this at a few weddings, and switching off and on is always a quick reset.
p.s just hope it was just a glitch and nothing serious.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:09 PM   #8

I've not had that problem, so not sure what to guess. My first thoughts were like the others, make sure the lens is seated correctly and that the contacts were clean. I am curious about one thing, You noted that you focused on a spot and then re-composed while holding the shutter half down. You should perhaps do a new test and focus and shoot without delay. Does it focus correctly it that situation, or does it repeat the OOF problem. I'm assuming that you are receiving the red dot and beep on the spot that you are focusing.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:24 PM   #9

Hi guys Reseated the lens - yep .. I did that when matters weren't improving. The AF wasn;t able to lock onto the guy in the first pic at all and when the cam did say it had a focus lock on his head (think 5th attempt) it wasn't. All of the other pics the E3 was showing AF lock (I have the sound off so nobody notices it) and they all were out of focus. I've taken some shots today with the same battery and I need to check and see how they are but from the LCD they look infocus.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:38 AM   #10

have a look on the bottom of the camera
have you got all the screws in the tripod socket Harj

Ive noticed sometimes when I use mine on a tripod AF goes a little odd for awhile, done anything like that lately?
and both screws have dropped out of mine. This is directly below the AF sensor, maybe that has something to do with it
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote