Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Driving on the left is down to a small portion of civilized society.
That civilized adjective is kind of a stretch, but you were being gracious?

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:35 AM   #12

The country's that where colonies from the United Kingdom and the UK itself are left driving. The reason is that they follow the way a train drives, left side.
I think the car industry is gracious of willing to fabric cars these way.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
The country's that where colonies from the United Kingdom and the UK itself are left driving. The reason is that they follow the way a train drives, left side.
Pascal, it goes back much further in history than that. Most people are right-handed and thus a warrior held his sword in his right hand. When two warriors on horseback met on a road, they tended to stay to the left so their swords were ready to defend themselves. Ken (Scouse) asserts that this means driving an automobile on the left is civilized, as though he could convince us that swordfighting with automobiles is civilized. I admit that it could make an interesting video, but still...

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Pascal, it goes back much further in history than that. Most people are right-handed and thus a warrior held his sword in his right hand. When two warriors on horseback met on a road, they tended to stay to the left so their swords were ready to defend themselves. Ken (Scouse) asserts that this means driving an automobile on the left is civilized, as though he could convince us that swordfighting with automobiles is civilized. I admit that it could make an interesting video, but still...

LOL Which was a silly argument because with most being right handed, why would you want to position the steering wheel where you have to use your left hand to change gears??? (Overlooking the fact that knights carrying swords had disappeared hundreds of years before the automobile was invented.) That silly reason was long disproved, and the fact remains that 70% of the world drives on the right.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
...why would you want to position the steering wheel where you have to use your left hand to change gears???
Yes. I have driven in Jamaica and England, and shifting gears with my left hand took more getting used to, than driving on the left side of the road. I suppose this is less of an issue with paddle shifters, which seem to be replacing floor-mounted gear shifts.