Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:19 AM   #1

Default Hope you folks in the Mid-Atlantic are okay

Hi,

As I'm sitting here listening to the wind howl outside I'm thinking about Ted K as well as everyone in the middle atlantic states. Hoping that you all get thru this storm safe and sound.

Up here, in Cape Cod, the storm -while not as intense- is still supposed to be one for the record books. I was down at our beach at 8 this morning looking at the ocean being churned up by steady winds between 35 to 45mph. AND the storm is still about 500 miles away.

stay safe

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:02 AM   #2

Thanks, Zig. So far so good. I'm more concerned about Marcelo and anyone else in NYC - an 11' storm surge in Long Island Sound cannot be good news. There's a real danger that the subway system there will be flooded.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Y'all stay safe up there!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4

Hey Zig - I didn't mean to get you upset. When I said I was concerned about New Yorkers, I of course didn't include Yankees fans.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hey Zig - I didn't mean to get you upset. When I said I was concerned about New Yorkers, I of course didn't include Yankees fans.

Hey Ted,

Nothing you say could upset me. Especially when it comes to baseball. The Sox sure stunk it up pretty well this year.

The Yanks got by your team but folded against the better Tiger team.

As for New York itself, my wife and I were there visiting friends weekend before last. Had a great time taking photos at the Top of the Rock, Central Park, the Riverside Cathedral and St. John's the Divine.

Hope everyone in the path of this monster gets thru this unscathed.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:01 PM   #6

Best of luck to all. Stay safe.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:55 PM   #7

Best of luck guys.. fingers crossed that your all safe !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:38 AM   #8

Default Not as bad in DC as it could have been

The DC area came out better than expected. The winds weren't as powerful as was predicted here, and didn't do as much damage. In fact the power companies were able to have crews restore a lot of power outages overnight. There are a lot of trees down and the creeks are rising, but it could have been a lot worse.

It could not have been any worse for New York City, though. Salt water flooded the underground electrical tunnels in a lot of the city. Power was turned off before this happened but salt water and copper do not play well together. They won't even have an idea as to what the damage is, for a while. On the Weather Channel this morning Al Roker said his father was a transit system employee, and had told him that salt water in the underground tunnels was their "doomsday scenario".

They could use a lot of prayer.

PS: Long Island registered 90 mph wind gusts.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 30, 2012 at 5:41 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The DC area came out better than expected. The winds weren't as powerful as was predicted here, and didn't do as much damage. In fact the power companies were able to have crews restore a lot of power outages overnight. There are a lot of trees down and the creeks are rising, but it could have been a lot worse.

It could not have been any worse for New York City, though. Salt water flooded the underground electrical tunnels in a lot of the city. Power was turned off before this happened but salt water and copper do not play well together. They won't even have an idea as to what the damage is, for a while. On the Weather Channel this morning Al Roker said his father was a transit system employee, and had told him that salt water in the underground tunnels was their "doomsday scenario".

They could use a lot of prayer.

PS: Long Island registered 90 mph wind gusts.
Been following this as it unfolded last night. Looks to be a real mess. Mercifully, the casualties have been minimal.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:10 PM   #10

Gad to hear that you're okay Ted. We too were speared the brunt of this monster storm.

We lost power yesterday at 2pm and it was restored at midnight. It forced my wife and I to pull out the backgammon game, pour a glass of wine and enjoy each other's company.

All in all, we were very fortunate. Our friends who live in Barneget NJ and New York City are not so fortunate.

Zig