Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:41 PM   #1

Default ....the making of a park

is happening at my most favorite of all our 90+ city parks. This 58-acre site has never been developed into a visitor friendly park with trails
cut & finished with bench seats for those who (unlike me) don't like making their own way through.

I've been trekking and photographing the Southwest Nature Preserve for 5 1/2 years. It is located just a bit more than 1/2 mile from my home so I walk
to it, through it and back home for a 3+ mile trip. Now, the makeover including a parking area for 35 spaces will make the park more enjoyable for many people.

I am quite happy I have the several hundred images made during the pristine time of the park.

These I made yesterday (11/13/12) using the E-300 (my fall foliage/light rig) and the FT 9-18 lens, all done in manual mode. Still loving this combo.

..........the small pond

still the small pond, the boardwalk sounds a fun place to feed the ducks

The soon to be parking area for 35 spaces

...along the top of the rock outcropping, will become a scenic view observation location which is open viewing for 15-20 miles to the west (image left).

.......along a trail I use

.....eventually to be a finished walking trail

.......the old 'slab' is going away. This was a cabin on the lake, just beyond the trees and down a steep hill. The building has been gone for 30-40 years.

The largest of the ponds 'lake' is 3-4 acres when full as it is now.

....the lake view from the hill top where the slab is being removed

I will likely always take those lanes that are away from the crunched granite trail ways but that is what makes this a unique park for our city and it is only
a few minutes from home to be right along here from my own way in, it is how I get there.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 18, 2012 at 7:19 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:27 AM   #2

Just a shame they have to destruct some nature to make this parking place for 35 cars.
Is there a road next to this parking place or will they also need to make a road to the parking?

Next to that some very fine pictures you made Bob !!!

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:03 AM   #3

Thank you Lordje for your comment.

....the reason for starting the park build now is because the NEW roadway alongside the park is nearing completion. Three years ago the park build was planned to coincide the roadway completion and construction scheduled for this year, so far it is on schedule for May 2013.

In a way it is too bad some natural area is destructed but the finish will enable many people to enjoy the park where now only a very few of us get to see it because the terrain is so difficult to walk and there is no public mapping of it to show people where the lakes, the meadow and rocks viewpoints are. I've learned the park over the past 5-years and have my own way around. I've seen the current build map and it will be well worth the 'destruct' to have the new adventures for everyone.

....this is a photo of where the parking lot will be, actually in front of (picture front), there was not a lot of growth and the location is perfect for it relative to the new park entrance from the roadway.

...a photo from before grading

....the same area I saw this week. This will become a primary 'fun to be' park place with a lawn area and boardwalk along the lake side where the view will be the 1st 2-images above.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:23 AM   #4

Great pictures Bob, I would like to see the finish work next year.

The E300 is a great camera, I started my system with this camera + the 2 kit lenses.

Regards.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:27 AM   #5

I'll echo Marcello there Bob, Good photos that tell the story. As a city park I think we understand the parking need. Looks like it'll be a nice place to take the kids....or the old grandparents (like me) for their evening walk.

I missed the E300, just as I was shopping for a camera, out came the E500.

Last edited by Scouse; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:29 AM   #6

Very interesting Bob. Thanks for sharing that. Definitely sounds like a worthwile project. That is going to open up a natural area for a lot more folks to "get away" for a least a while from the concrete of the city.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:32 PM   #7

...It is my plan to do the build 'photo' documentary for the city. The parks and recreation dept and the city use a lot of my 'parks' images for Facebook & various city web sites so it will be fun to have the documentary for them.

Marcelo.... I use the E-300 still quite a lot except during summer light. I just like the color from the E-300 when shooting nature images over the E-3 and E-P3 as I've said so many times. Of my cameras the E-300 remains the most comfortable handling for me too. Thank you for your remarks.

Ken.... thanks too for your comment. It will be fun to see people besides me enjoying this place. I've never seen another person there with a camera and if you ain't photographing it there really is not a lot worth the effort it takes to roam though I would do it anyway.

I love having the E-300 for what it does so well, handling and image results.

Steven.... you would love walking around in there. Lots of stuff to photograph, this trip I saw wood ducks, snowy egrets, a great blue heron, a rather large bunch of mallards and turtles. We had a freeze the night before so bugs were not so plentiful and the monarch butterflies have left for the winter.

This park will get a whole lot of visitation when done and my photo-sojourns will become quite different than during the past 6-years.

Thanks for commenting and enjoying my E-300 images.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:31 PM   #8

Hi Bob

Some fab shots of what looks like a fab place ! It'd be real interesting to see how they work on the park and what kind of design they have for it - be pretty cool to do a wee docu series of pics as they progress to completion..

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:08 PM   #9

Thanks Harj,

...that is what I am going to do, probably every 2nd or 3rd week until April, then once a week for shots of the finishing areas.

We have one other natural area park, an entirely different terrain but the finish to the new one will likely be similar.

That park http://tinyurl.com/87yytsc was not used due to the ruggedness, now it is a busy park daily, it was finished 05/18/12. The two of these are cross town, about 15-miles apart.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 18, 2012 at 7:17 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:47 AM   #10

Thanks for the documentary, Bob. That's looking like a great place to have in an urban location.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote