Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:02 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
MarceloLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island - New York
Posts: 2,102
Default

4/3 is clearly in stand by and it will take maybe 2 or 3 years to see another body to replace the E5.

In my lunch time I went to B&H to try the new E-PL5, talking to the Olympus representative he state that "Olympus provably will release a new DSRL but not soon".

He agreed that Olympus is 100% in focus in m4/3 and we will see new lenses and new cameras for this system.

The E-PL5 looks very good, the AF is amazingly fast and the tracking is something that really impress me... for $700 is not bad for a small camera + lens with an great IQ, I'm thinking to buy this camera for a trip next year to London and Paris, my D700 + lenses are to heavy and big.

If Olympus release a new body will be interesting to see a E7 with a sensor like the OM-D and a "functional" Auto Focus, the questions is " the HG and SHG lenses will work with it???

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:18 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,535
Default

Hi Zig

I think anyone thats had the FT system has the right to comment, especially on something like this, where many had spent thousands on the system only to be told you have to go m43 or go away. Its good to hear your opinion.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:30 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Zig

I think anyone thats had the FT system has the right to comment, especially on something like this, where many had spent thousands on the system only to be told you have to go m43 or go away. Its good to hear your opinion.
Hi HarjTT,

Thanks.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't sold the leses that I had accumulated for FT. The money I got for them didn't amount to much. The 50mm f2, 12-60mm, and 50-200mm were worth much more to me than what they fetched on the used market.

The one lens that I kept was the 35mm macro which I had bought from Bill Turner, aka Bootstrap, shortly before he passed away. A great lens that I still use today.
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:04 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,535
Default

Hi Zig

I think we all feel your pain for having to sell the ZD's but at the time I'm sure it was a sound financial decision. Its amazing how good the HGs and the SHGs are, its just a shame that Oly seems to have forgotten that. We also respect everyone that had a FT setups opinion .. whether your shooting Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Fuji, m43 etc.

Whats intrigued me is that 7D MK2 rumour and its got the Canon forum over at DPR buzzin a wee bit and a whole bunch of those that were about to jump to FF are now deciding on whether to hold and wait.

" It’s suggested the camera will be “firmly” aimed at the nature and sports market. The 10fps feature we and others have been told about is a big part of the plan. The camera will also get some technologies from the EOS-1D X, like the AF system and noise performance. While it may not have 61 focus points, the performance could be on par.A different megapixel count of 21mp has also been mentioned."

Now if an E7 had those specs - weather sealed, 100+% OVF, 16 + MP, an AF that could match the Canon 7DMK2 for focusing, paired up with the ZD's how many do you think would sell ? Would it be enough to entice those that have switched to take another look ( I doubt it but you never know esp if the body is K5 size).The problem that Oly now has is the word is out that FT's been abandoned and whose going to invest a serious amount on a system thats been left behind by its creator even if any new cam is able to match or better its peers?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:04 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,158
Default

It's a day late and a dollar short....

The problem, as I see it, is that die hard Oly users know that if and when Olympus comes with a new FT body with the specs you mentioned, it would most be likely be the last. Heck, even Olympus management acknowledges that their goal is to convert everyone to mFT.

So, with that thought in mind, if Olympus released a body with the specs you outlined, how many existing users would drop $2500+ to get it. I'm sure that many would. But too many people, like me, have simply moved on.

And, forget any existing Canon or Nikon users converting as there is no future in doing so.
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:45 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,535
Default

Hi Zig

Points well made and taken. That's the hole that Oly and their management dug for themselves with their head in the sands approach to FT over the last 4 years. The predicament for those still using the ZD's is exactly that. Will anyone put down a 1500-2000k on the last FT body, knowing full well that theyre will be no update after that, regardless that the ZD's are possibly some of the best glass made? The only way I can see that happening is if the mythical "one beautiful system" shows up. If that happens, which is a big if then may be they can get the existing userbase to bite but I can't see any other system users switching unless the new cam is leading edge in all aspects and I can't see Oly ever doing that. Whether they can charge $$$$ for a new EX, I'm not sure as the D600 and the 6D FF's have changed that with their specs and price point, and a 7DMK2/D400 and then you have the likes of the K5MK2.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:05 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Zig

Points well made and taken. That's the hole that Oly and their management dug for themselves with their head in the sands approach to FT over the last 4 years. The predicament for those still using the ZD's is exactly that. Will anyone put down a 1500-2000k on the last FT body, knowing full well that theyre will be no update after that, regardless that the ZD's are possibly some of the best glass made? The only way I can see that happening is if the mythical "one beautiful system" shows up. If that happens, which is a big if then may be they can get the existing userbase to bite but I can't see any other system users switching unless the new cam is leading edge in all aspects and I can't see Oly ever doing that. Whether they can charge $$$$ for a new EX, I'm not sure as the D600 and the 6D FF's have changed that with their specs and price point, and a 7DMK2/D400 and then you have the likes of the K5MK2.
Hi Harj,

Let me pose a question:

You are head of the Sales & Marketing group of the Olympus camera division.
Knowing what you've just stated to be true, would you approve the investment of time, capital, and manpower to release such a product?

I think not......
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:52 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Zig

Points well made and taken. That's the hole that Oly and their management dug for themselves with their head in the sands approach to FT over the last 4 years. The predicament for those still using the ZD's is exactly that. Will anyone put down a 1500-2000k on the last FT body, knowing full well that theyre will be no update after that, regardless that the ZD's are possibly some of the best glass made? The only way I can see that happening is if the mythical "one beautiful system" shows up. If that happens, which is a big if then may be they can get the existing userbase to bite but I can't see any other system users switching unless the new cam is leading edge in all aspects and I can't see Oly ever doing that. Whether they can charge $$$$ for a new EX, I'm not sure as the D600 and the 6D FF's have changed that with their specs and price point, and a 7DMK2/D400 and then you have the likes of the K5MK2.
Gh3 already reflects this, at $1300 its $600 less than Gh2
when you look at OMD pricing,
for $1000 it costs more due to EVF an SLR doesnt need
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:06 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Harj,

Let me pose a question:

You are head of the Sales & Marketing group of the Olympus camera division.
Knowing what you've just stated to be true, would you approve the investment of time, capital, and manpower to release such a product?

I think not......
take a look at sales stats, if mFT is so good why isnt ranking
http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/space....nking&view=all

If I wanted to develop a camera system today, bodies, lenses, patents, licenses, promotional material, everything I needed to get going, what would it cost me?

If I was a shareholder I would want to know why an entire system going begging due to deliberate management neglect and adverse planning to favour a system that really isnt doing any better. That was supposed to meet the needs of both sets of users but left both betrayed.

If I was a shareholder I would sack this incompetent management and get a management that can manage the business.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:12 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post


If I was a shareholder I would want to know why an entire system going begging due to deliberate management neglect and adverse planning to favour a system that really isnt doing any better. That was supposed to meet the needs of both sets of users but left both betrayed.

If I was a shareholder I would sack this incompetent management and get a management that can manage the business.

Agreed......but that would be something that a Japanese company doesn't generally do unless, of course, they are about to expose the incompetence of the chairman and the board
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Dec 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:34 PM.