Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:18 PM   #31

Hi Guys

Riley, I was pretty surprised with those sales figures as I' always assumed that m43 (Oly and Pana) cams were selling pretty well.. may be not the top5 sellers but at least in the top 10 to 20 cameras sold. I wonder if the same applies to Europe - DSLRs remain the number one lead camera sale while in the far east its mirrorless leading the way ?

Zig, if it was me .. like all FT users we wouldn't have made the strategic error that Oly made when they decided to go m43 full steam ahead and effectively kill off FT in the first place but thats after the fact and . Now in response to the question itself - its a pretty tough call to make and if you weren't a photographer and looking it at in a purely business sense it would be to leave FT and let it go but there is a need for what FT + ZDs do well with that 2x crop and quality glass. However, the flip side is the damage to the brand and whether being labeled as the manufacturer that abandons their existing user base (FT could well be the 3rd time) is worth the effort esp in the short-medium term. In this case Oly's clearly decided the damage is worth it and just focus on m43 with the hope that the FT users quietly switch to m43, other brands or vanish with their SHg/HG/SG glass and that they can attract enough from new P&S or tempt other system users to pick up m43 as their second system

Last edited by HarjTT; Dec 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:20 PM   #32

The disposition toward mirrorless is many times more favourable in Asia/Japan, western centric views are still enchanted with their SLRs. Although Europe was a bit softer on this that say the US.

The top selling SLR of all time was D90, not sure where Nikon is moving around on that now between D31/3200 and D51/5200 all of which are modular builds designed for high volume production. Complete reversal of fortune for Canon to fail in this in the high volume APSC dominated environment where the ones that profited most were Nikon. The one time #3 player isn't even there anymore having given up to Sony years ago.

Among mirrorless players Olympus does all right, but that isn't a red carpet ride either. Not sure how long it has been obvious that the Pen or GF type cameras need an EVF but they still don't field one.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
take a look at sales stats, if mFT is so good why isnt ranking
http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/space....nking&view=all
Just as an FYI, the "dslrphoto.com" rankings are always misleading, as they list the same camera bodies several times on the list but with different lenses.

Forgetting the m4/3 vs 4/3 strategy for a second, the definitive sales rankings in Japan is the BCN number, which ranks actual retails sales to the public, and there is no doubt of the increasing market share of the mirrorless market.

As to their strategy, whether I like it or not, per the BCN sales ranking, it is helping Olympus. Per BCN:

"...Embattled Olympus didn’t have such a bad year after all. The Japanese camera manufacturer has just claimed top position for the mirrorless camera category in the 2012 BCN Award.
The BCN Ranking pulls in point-of-sale data from a number of major Japanese electronic stores, including online stores like Amazon Japan, and once a year hands-out awards based on the number of actual sales. Olympus has moved ahead of both Sony and Panasonic, capturing more than a third of the market with sales numbering 36.6% of total. Panasonic has the number two spot with 29.3% of sales.

Competition in the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (MILC) space has seriously heated up. Panasonic and Olympus built the compact mirrorless market with the Micro Four Thirds (MFT) system and now practically all major camera manufacturers, except Canon, have made a showing.
Nikon entered the space last year with the V1 and J1, Sony launched three new NEX cameras, the NEX-C3, NEX-5N and the first 24-megapixel MILC, the NEX-7. Fujifilm also just announced the X-Pro1 camera boasting some incredible credentials while Pentax and Ricoh have carved-up a niche.
Olympus made a strong showing in 2011, having released not one, not two but three MFT cameras in June, the PEN E-P3, and two really good budget cameras, the PEN E-PL3 and PEN E-PM1. Best is yet to come from Olympus as we’re anxiously awaiting the announcement of the much-rumored OM-D at CP+ in Yokohama early next month.
[BCN Award 2012 (Japanese translated)]"
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:48 AM   #34

yes I am aware of the dangers of these data houses
but realistically there are few data points to go on unless you want to roll back to CIPA last annual.

Observing a site regularly gives a pretty good impression of where its at, company financials are another road in.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:57 AM   #35

Yes, that is true.

It looking at trends, just 4 years ago there were no mirrorless cameras in Japan's top twenty dslr sales, as mirrorless was brand new. While the top 5 of the 20 best selling cameras in Japan are still the traditional dslr, the mirrorless now make up 8 of the top 20 in Japan, and continuing to grow. Very impressive in just 4 years.

I'm personally undecided about the best future course. I like the size and feel of my E-3, and want to see Oly continue with the E-7; I'm just not sure that the E-7 has to be the big tank like the E-3 and E-5.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:05 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Yes, that is true.

It looking at trends, just 4 years ago there were no mirrorless cameras in Japan's top twenty dslr sales, as mirrorless was brand new. While the top 5 of the 20 best selling cameras in Japan are still the traditional dslr, the mirrorless now make up 8 of the top 20 in Japan, and continuing to grow. Very impressive in just 4 years.

I'm personally undecided about the best future course. I like the size and feel of my E-3, and want to see Oly continue with the E-7; I'm just not sure that the E-7 has to be the big tank like the E-3 and E-5.
sure, but still mirrorless biggest markets are Asian, and it has less impact in more western markets.
Now we get Gh3 as large as SLRs to curve back the ergonomics lost on mFT.
Makes you wonder why we did this.

The only reason I would even consider fully mFT is due to the lens compatibility,
if that wont cut it I dont have a choice but to go with some other manufacturer that halfway knows what its doing
It isnt about loyalty to me, its about numbers.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 3:23 PM   #37

It's clear to see where Oly is headed as the only 4/3 camera they sell is the E-5. It would be nice to see photo comparisons between the E-5 and the OMD M5 and not lab shots of charts, etc. I've never taken a picture of a chart yet.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:59 PM   #38

Nothing official but the latest over at 43 rumours

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-surp...more/#comments
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 4:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Nothing official but the latest over at 43 rumours

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-surp...more/#comments
Thanks for that link, Harj! It's in line with what I'm expecting Oly to do.

Hopefully Oly will ignore all of Amalric's comments, since he has apparently appointed himself to be Mr. Reprehensible on every photo forum I look at (except this one, presumably because he hasn't found it).

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:39 PM   #40

That is very interesting news. Interesting that they have been working on it since 2009 in secret with a select group of only 13 high level employees. I think this is very positive news. It sounds like nothing we have seen before, and will be more advanced than just an improved E-5.

Here is the google translation of another article:
http://translate.google.com/translat...cumplidas.html