Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:43 AM   #1

Default From our friends at OLYMPUS

You guys are more on top of this than me, so it's probably old news.
It is one of the reasons why Oly cameras are being left behind in their R&D dept and why Nikon and Canon are getting further in front.

Woodford: Nothing has changed in Japan Inc. since Olympus saga

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/27/bu...html?hpt=hp_t3

And while I'm at it. (On a bit of a rant here) I read this week that several million dollars of relief money collected in this country went to equiping their whale killing (Oh sorry "Research!" for profit.) fleet with stronger defences against the actifist group that are trying to stop them.

Last edited by Scouse; Nov 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
You guys are more on top of this than me, so it's probably old news.
It is one of the reasons why Oly cameras are being left behind in their R&D dept and why Nikon and Canon are getting further in front.

Woodford: Nothing has changed in Japan Inc. since Olympus saga

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/27/bu...html?hpt=hp_t3

And while I'm at it. (On a bit of a rant here) I read this week that several million dollars of relief money collected in this country went to equiping their whale killing (Oh sorry "Research!" for profit.) fleet with stronger defences against the actifist group that are trying to stop them.

Hi Ken,

Will read the article, but can't help to say that A lot has changed at the headquarters of Olympus.

First off, they are a lot poorer than they were prior to the scandal.

Sony owns a large chunk of their business-which actually can be a good thing as Sony is the leader in sensor technology as of the moment. That, alone, can't do anything but help them.

The EM-5 and EPL-5 are pretty good cameras, for their intended purpose, and doing pretty well.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3

Ken, I see the situation differently than you do. Olympus isn't that different than other large Japanese companies, according to the readers who blog on Japan Today. But Oly and Panny are way ahead of Nikon and Canon in the mirrorless market and that's a better market to be ahead in for the future, than the DSLR market.

Meanwhile Michael Woodford is about to sign a movie deal.

I think the future is still up in the air for Oly. As Harj says, Sony is likely to help them.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:00 PM   #4

Interesting, but CaNikon has been mainly banking on old technology. Mirrorless cameras are already outselling the old style full size DSLR in Japan and the far east. And Oly, Panasonic, and Sony are way ahead of CaNikon in that technology.

Years ago, I started feeling that the smaller, mirror-less cameras would eventually surpass dslrs worldwide. As a student of history, including camera history, it seems to me as a replay from my childhood, when the medium format followers poo-pooed the smaller 35mm slrs as serious imaging equipment for pros. If fact, the whole history of camera technology for the professional photographers has brought smaller and smaller pro cameras. Remember seeing photos of the big view cameras with the photographer looking under the big cloth hood of the cameras?

While I personally like the larger dslr with an OVF, I realize that future improvements in the EVF technology is going to eventually pave the way for a full pro mirrorless camera. The OMD and G5 are not there yet, but just keep looking down the road. The modern smart phone will kill the cheap compact cameras, and the improving mirror-less interchangeable lens cameras are going to continue to eat away at the old style DSLR market. While full "pro" cameras are not the most profitable for a camera company, they do drive the similar but cheaper semi-pro models that sell more units, as that is what the serious and advanced amateurs will buy.

The question becomes at what speed will the pace of that change be? Oly can be saved by the fast adoption on these interchangeable lens mirror-less cameras. Slow adoption of mirrorless will hurt Oly; but I look at the participation by Sony as a positive.

Oops, sorry to ramble; I'll stop now. LOL
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:19 PM   #5

Default FYI:New Oly patent for 4/3 to m4/3 lens adapter with adapter having autofocus and IS

It certainly appears that Oly is working on adapting the SHG lens to m4/3 while retaining the high focus speed.

Here is the Google translation of the original article on the Egami website:
http://translate.google.com/translat....jp/2012-11-26

It reads in part:
"Olympus has AF and image stabilization mechanism incorporating a mount adapter for patent is pending.
This Myu4 / 3 four / three (in the body ≠ μ4 / 3 even if you use the) lens, can achieve high-speed AF, the lens And Shake Reduction is also supported.
Lens in Live View, Video, in telephoto camera shake correction so favorable, Myu4 / 3 full-fledged bird shooting sports might be now possible.
"
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:38 PM   #6

I'm with Steven and Ken - there is no point in Oly wasting R&D dollars on DSLR - there is simply no growth opportunity there. The growth opportunities are in smaller ILC or full frame. That's not saying APS-C is going to die in the next couple years it's just not a growth area - and 4/3 even less so. If they solve the focus issue then m4/3 becomes an EXTREMELY enticing solution - in a HUGE potential market that Canon and Nikon have virtually no presence in yet.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Interesting, but CaNikon has been mainly banking on old technology. Mirrorless cameras are already outselling the old style full size DSLR in Japan and the far east. And Oly, Panasonic, and Sony are way ahead of CaNikon in that technology.
That's what I said. Doesn't anyone listen?

I agree with you that although I prefer a larger body and an OVF, I could adapt to a mirrorless body with a good EVF. What I'd really like is the current 14-35 and 35-100 SHG f'2's to be redone as f/2.8's so they would be smaller and lighter (with the newest sensors we don't need the f/2 speed). But I don't think Oly would see a sufficient market for that. Right now I don't see a 43 zoom that would entice me to buy a 43 body and I'm totally disinterested in a bag full of primes.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
That's what I said. Doesn't anyone listen?

I agree with you that although I prefer a larger body and an OVF, I could adapt to a mirrorless body with a good EVF. What I'd really like is the current 14-35 and 35-100 SHG f'2's to be redone as f/2.8's so they would be smaller and lighter (with the newest sensors we don't need the f/2 speed). But I don't think Oly would see a sufficient market for that. Right now I don't see a 43 zoom that would entice me to buy a 43 body and I'm totally disinterested in a bag full of primes.
since models are updated on a Quadrennial basis, I think the user baser died of disinterest and boredom
and quite honestly, why would anyone change 'too' Olympus
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:32 AM   #9

Hi Guys

Ted, I don;t think were ever going to see the likes of the SHG on m43 - there's no way that they could make the lenses with the same quality and keep them small, although making them f2.8 would reduce the size a bit. Prime example are the two new Pana F2.8 lenses size and weight wise brilliant but IQ - they don't touch the SHGs not at F2.8 or even at F5.6. There's been other tests were its clear that there are only a few lenses that come close to the HG's but none of the m43 lenses inc. the 75mm can compare to 35-100f2 in terms of IQ so therefore all of the SHG's.

Now regarding that adapter .. I don;t want to use another adapter to stick the FT lenses onto a small body like the OMD. They need to be straight and come out and say either we can get FT lenses to focus correctly on sensor or its not possible rather than just stringing it along. They've had 4+ years to try to do it and whether that works well whose to say.

Last edited by HarjTT; Nov 29, 2012 at 3:39 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Ted, I don;t think were ever going to see the likes of the SHG on m43 - there's no way that they could make the lenses with the same quality and keep them small, although making them f2.8 would reduce the size a bit.
I think making them f/2.8 would decrease the size a lot (compare the 35-100 to the 50-200), although maybe not to the sizes 43 people seem to want. And Leica and Zeiss make high quality small lenses so it can be done - they're not cheap but neither are the SHG lenses. Is it that only the FF pro-level camera owners are willing to pay for top-quality glass?

Ted