Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:13 PM   #11

Yes, we got a little off topic for Sarah. Generally speaking, the m4/3 Pens have better fixed prime lens, and the big 4/3 have much better zooms.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:01 PM   #12

Thank you for the replies and for explaining, i am far from an experienced photographer, and i don't know the ins and outs that well, i was bought the camera by my better half and so have adapted to use it for what i do.

However as i spend 99% of my photographing time, taking pictures of my pets, mostly my hare's who like to run and jump about the garden and the standard lens that i got with the camera simply falls short of zooming distance, only slightly though but i would like one too, so i can start taking my camera out to nature reserves and such to photograph the wildlife which i can't do so well at the moment because i have practically no zoom.

I have found, as the title says, a: OLYMPUS ZUIKO Digital ED 70-300mm F4-5.6 Lens - Is this adequate/one you mean?

Description says:
Lens For Olympus 4/3
For all Olympus Digital SLR camera.

Its 200, so within my price range, but is it the right one? i'd hate to spend as much to find its not!
x Sarah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Sarah x View Post
Thank you for the replies and for explaining, i am far from an experienced photographer, and i don't know the ins and outs that well, i was bought the camera by my better half and so have adapted to use it for what i do.

However as i spend 99% of my photographing time, taking pictures of my pets, mostly my hare's who like to run and jump about the garden and the standard lens that i got with the camera simply falls short of zooming distance, only slightly though but i would like one too, so i can start taking my camera out to nature reserves and such to photograph the wildlife which i can't do so well at the moment because i have practically no zoom.

I have found, as the title says, a: OLYMPUS ZUIKO Digital ED 70-300mm F4-5.6 Lens - Is this adequate/one you mean?

Description says:
Lens For Olympus 4/3
For all Olympus Digital SLR camera.

Its 200, so within my price range, but is it the right one? i'd hate to spend as much to find its not!
I use this one almost as a prime lens Sarah. Mostly for the same reason as you. Money. I really like it, you'll find it's limitations, like it needs a bit of light. But if you have time you'll see that most...if not all the photos I've posted here are with that lens.
Take a look at good camera outlets for a used one.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:07 PM   #14

Here are a couple with that lens. The Snowy owl was a lousy overcast day and I had to push the ISO up to 400 and my camera doesn't like that.
One improvement for you, is I believe you have stabilization in the camera. I shot some of those at silly low speeds.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...ood-ducks.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...thwest-wa.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...snowy-owl.html
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote