Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default Bye-bye E-30

Well, I've officially made the jump to Pentax. I pulled the trigger on a K-30 w/18-55mm and 55-300mm kit lenses. I'm selling the E-30, 50-200mm, & EC-20 and I'm retaining my E-620 for a WA/back-up camera, so I won't be totally Oly-less. I just felt it was time to move on seeing as it seems Oly doesn't seem to be the same company that produced the E-30 & E-5.

Just thought you'd like to know.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,528
Default

Hey Gary

Thanks for the heads up and esp good to know the direction that your going to and it;d be good to know how you get on with the Pentax and keeping the 620. I'm keeping an eye on the K5/K5MK11 .. nothing serious but I like Pentax as a camera co.

Cheers

Harj

Ps... Make sure to post some pics !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

Interesting. Have fun with your new camera. Pentax is a good solid brand, and Ricoh bought it last year at a bargain price; paying Hoya only 1/10 what Hoya had paid several years ago to buy Pentax. At that bargain price, Ricoh should be able to invest much more money to keep it competitive, and maybe bring out some new lens.

Just wondering how you are going to like losing the 2x factor when you go down to a wider 1.5x factor, since I know how much you like the high magnification for your bird shots. Also wondering why the K-30 instead of the K-5II?

You'll have to share some photos of your new camera.

I'm still learning to get the best out of my E-3. (Can't afford the E-5 or OMD-EM5, though I would love to have both. )
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I just felt it was time to move on seeing as it seems Oly doesn't seem to be the same company that produced the E-30 & E-5.
You are correct of course..... they're doing better now. The "Old Olympus" digital imaging section probably would not have lasted much longer after the scandal if all they had was the four-thirds system.

No Olympus DSLR has been as popular (required for survival) or good, image quality-wise, as the E-M5. The 12mm f2, 17mm f1.8, 60mm f2.8 Macro and 75mm f1.8 M. Zuikos I'm now using with my E-M5 are better than any short Olympus prime they ever made for the four-thirds system, and according to the Olympus reps I visited with at Arlington Camera a couple of weeks ago, fast zooms are next on the list.

That 55-300 Zoom is going to be quite a step down from the 50-200 Zuiko. Of course, the Pentax body has a sensor that'll run circles around any Olympus DSLR.


Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Interesting. Have fun with your new camera. Pentax is a good solid brand, and Ricoh bought it last year at a bargain price; paying Hoya only 1/10 what Hoya had paid several years ago to buy Pentax. At that bargain price, Ricoh should be able to invest much more money to keep it competitive, and maybe bring out some new lens.

Just wondering how you are going to like losing the 2x factor when you go down to a wider 1.5x factor, since I know how much you like the high magnification for your bird shots. Also wondering why the K-30 instead of the K-5II?

You'll have to share some photos of your new camera.

I'm still learning to get the best out of my E-3. (Can't afford the E-5 or OMD-EM5, though I would love to have both. )
Cost, Steve. Matter of economics. With a wider selection of lenses in a more economic range (read as "cheaper"), I'm sure I'll be able to pick up something to compensate. And, too, the K-30 has 16MPs versus 12MPs in the Oly's I have. That should compensate a LITTLE, no?
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Jan 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
You are correct of course..... they're doing better now. The "Old Olympus" digital imaging section probably would not have lasted much longer after the scandal if all they had was the four-thirds system.

No Olympus DSLR has been as popular (required for survival) or good, image quality-wise, as the E-M5. The 12mm f2, 17mm f1.8, 60mm f2.8 Macro and 75mm f1.8 M. Zuikos I'm now using with my E-M5 are better than any short Olympus prime they ever made for the four-thirds system, and according to the Olympus reps I visited with at Arlington Camera a couple of weeks ago, fast zooms are next on the list.

That 55-300 Zoom is going to be quite a step down from the 50-200 Zuiko. Of course, the Pentax body has a sensor that'll run circles around any Olympus DSLR.
That's all well and good except when your money tree fails to bear fruit anymore, Greg. I just retired a couple/three years ago and the stuff Oly is making now is WAY out of my reach financially. It wasn't all that inexpensive with the "Old Oly", but now... I'm not in the class Obama wants to raise the taxes on! "Good" glass is beyond my reach and "Great" glass is an unattainable dream at this point. Pentax seems to be at least TRYING to produce something for us in the sub-bourgeois and TRYING to keep costs down while still producing a pretty good quality product that produces pretty darned good images. I will, of course, miss the 50-200, but the manufacturers that stopped making for Oly are (mostly) still making for Pentax. There are several Sigmas in the "attainable" range that I have my eye on and a couple in the Tamron line-up. I'm relatively sure I'll find a bargain eventually. Until then, I'll learn to get by on the kit 55-300 and appreciate the Pentax sensor capabilities.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

A nice used Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, or, (even better) a 100-300mm f4 HSM would be pretty sweet. It's always the original owner of third-party glass that takes the price hit so there should be some good finds.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
A nice used Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, or, (even better) a 100-300mm f4 HSM would be pretty sweet. It's always the original owner of third-party glass that takes the price hit so there should be some good finds.
Great minds... In fact, I have my eye on a few on eBay right now. And, one of them is said 100-300mm. I doubt VERY seriously I'll win. They're still going for more than I want to pony up. I still have to sell off the Oly gear then, once the dust settles, I'll look in earnest.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 930
Default

I switched to Pentax a few years ago and have never regretted it even though I still think the E-1 is an excellent camera and I will still use it now and then if i need the weather sealing (my Kx has none). But the backwards compatibility with ANY K-mount lens is what I love the most. Coupled with my Auto-Focus adapter (something I recommend trying to find) I can have some very good glass that will AF for cheap. I don't think you will regret the switch, especially if money is tight. Since all K-mount lenses will be AF confirm on your Km, MF is a practical idea for really nice glass at a price anyone can afford.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:41 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
I switched to Pentax a few years ago and have never regretted it even though I still think the E-1 is an excellent camera and I will still use it now and then if i need the weather sealing (my Kx has none). But the backwards compatibility with ANY K-mount lens is what I love the most. Coupled with my Auto-Focus adapter (something I recommend trying to find) I can have some very good glass that will AF for cheap. I don't think you will regret the switch, especially if money is tight. Since all K-mount lenses will be AF confirm on your Km, MF is a practical idea for really nice glass at a price anyone can afford.

John
I discovered that during some early research, John. Neat stuff!
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.