Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:55 PM   #1

Default HELP Spots on images, not dust

Help! On my E1 images spots are present and they are not dust. Photo taken with a Zuiko Digital 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 lens. I've had this camera for about 10 years. See photo
I'm new to this forum.
Thank You
Casey50
Attached Images

Casey50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:33 PM   #2

Hey Casey

Not sure what would be causing those spots but I'll see what I can do to help. My first thoughts were dust on the sensor so it may be worthwhile taking it in for a wee check up. Hows the cam with another lens does it do the same thing ?

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:28 PM   #3

Ummmm, I'm not sure that those spots look like ordinary dust spots. It almost looks more like oil spots. Have you examined the sensor with a magnifying glass? Do you see anything unusual on the surface. Do the spots always stay in the same relative position, no matter which lens you use??
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:09 PM   #4

On my laptop screen under my shoplights, I think I can see a pattern. The spots seem to be aligned from right to left. I counted @15 spots.

It looks like the imprint from bubble wrap. A lot of my accessories and lenses come packaged with that stuff.

The alignment and pattern look almost too familiar to be random.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:47 AM   #5

I think Steve may be right .. my thoughts were oil drops at first but I've never heard or seen that happen with any E-X cam but you never know.

I'd take a couple of shots of a white bakcground and stop down to F8/11/ F16 that should help a lot more and show how many there actually are. BB's right as there looks to be a lot more across the entire frame.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:27 AM   #6

Thanks for the help. I did the white background check and found the circles plus a few dead pixels. Then I checked photos that were similar between 2008 and 2012 and found a increase in the number spots no matter what lens I used. I rented an E5 once and found no spots on those photos. So its check-up time for my E1.
By the way how does oil get on a sensor? Thank You Casey
Casey50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey50 View Post
Thanks for the help. I did the white background check and found the circles plus a few dead pixels. Then I checked photos that were similar between 2008 and 2012 and found a increase in the number spots no matter what lens I used. I rented an E5 once and found no spots on those photos. So its check-up time for my E1.
By the way how does oil get on a sensor? Thank You Casey
Good luck. I think you are correct to send it to Olympus.
As far as oil on the sensor, I have never heard of Olympus having that problem, but it was a recent common problem with some Nikon cameras, caused by excessive factory lubrication.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:28 PM   #8

The picture you posted is a crop of the original or it is the full picture?

If it is the full picture the spots looks too big to be dust or oil, provably it is mold and if it is the case I don't think is a way to fix the problem, just if they replace the sensor.

Before to send it to Olympus just do a sensor cleaning, use a dust blower and if the problems still use a wet cleaning system.

I know some of the Olympus user are scare to touch the sensor because the Olympus cleaning system is really good (I never cleaned any of my 6 Olympus cameras...never..!!!), but now I'm a Nikon user and those cameras are dust magnets and I learned to clean the sensor of my cameras myself.

It is easy, inexpensive and nothing to be scared.

Good luck.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:49 AM   #9

I love my old E1 but personally I would advise trying the self cleaning Marcelo mentions and if that doesn't work look for a replacement. Is it really worth the investment to have Oly fix a 10 year old camera? You could just replace the whole camera for ~$150-200. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote