Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:36 AM   #1

Default E-620

Is the 620 much of a step up from the 450?

I've read the review for it here on digicams, and i like that it has built in image Stabilization. Also that i could purchase a battery holder for it.

I'm not overly keen on the little flip out screen, less is better and i think i'd be afraid of breaking it...
I have no intention of using the built in quirks like image overlaying etc, as i only touch my photo's once they're on my PC.

and i assume my equipment, Zuiko lenses and flash will fit it the same.

anything particularly good about it compared to its cousin?
x Sarah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:38 AM   #2

The E-620 has an improved sensor over your E-450, and as you have already noted, it has in-body image stabilization (IBIS). All your Olympus lens, etc that you use with the E-450 will work with the E-620.

While you are unsure about using the flip-out LCD screen, it definitely is an advantage for those times when live view is called for. If you can find a good deal on a used E-620, you should consider it, as you seem to have a preference for the smaller dslrs.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:55 AM   #3

I do and that's why Oly's appeal to me, i'm very small myself and those massive Canon's and Nikon's are just too big and bulky for me.

620's are a good price now, less than what i paid for my 450 new, but i just wasn't sure exactly how much better it was and if it really was worth getting, as i find the 450 a brilliant camera as it is.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4

Can't recall who told me this but was told that the E-PL2, 3, and 5 have noticeably better image quality than the E620, especially the E-PL5.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:49 AM   #5

Thanks for the input, we bought a 620 a couple days ago for 285 and it comes with a bunch of additional stuff too which i thought was a good price.
It should be here Monday so i will check it out it appears very similar to the 450 which i like as i'm not a huge fan of change! I remember the 450 sitting in the cupboard for 3 months when i bought it because its was such a change to my little bridge camera which i preferred, ha!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:20 AM   #6

Congrats; sounds like you got a good bargain. You will like the E620, just take the time to learn its features.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:32 PM   #7

Sarah, coming from the E-450, the E-620 should be quite easy to learn. Olympus menus and setups are nearly identical across camera models in the "E" series. And the E-620 is a very good camera.

Be sure to activate the "Super Control Panel" (aka "SCP") that makes it very quick to change settings when you're out shooting.

Enjoy the new camera!