Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:01 PM   #1

Default Latest roadmap posted by Olympus

From the Olympus booth at the current CP+ show in Japan, the 2013 roadmap.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:14 AM   #2

Yeah - lots of folks are excited by that "next E". Me, I'll wait and see what they do - the E5 is doing everything I need although a couple more stops of high ISO is always helpful for indoor available light event photography.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:06 PM   #3

I'm not raising my hopes as its just another marketing presentation but this is the first time in years that an "E" camera has been listed in any of Oly's slides.

The "interview" over at DPR was more what ifs and buts, but for the first time they actually talked about the E4xx/5xx/6xx shooters. Now what that means is anyones guess. My own thoughts are that we may see just one E camera - EVF or OVF if were lucky and what size that may now be I don't know. I'd be shocked if we see two - an entry level FT cam and a Pro then the "One beautiful system" has been hit into touch.

Better ISO (Ted, 2 stops would definitely be good) and a more accurate AF is what I'd like to see and that should be for all AF points, S and CAF modes.

Last edited by HarjTT; Feb 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:54 PM   #4

I'm glad to see at least something in writing shown to the public that shows another E camera. Personally I think that it will be smaller and probably be more like an EM5 with an EVF; but which can use all the fine E lens. I would have no problem with that, as the senor technology in the EM5 is outstanding, at least judging by the way the EM5 users keep raving about their camera.

I'm not in the market for a new camera, but I think Oly does realize that their best lens are the 4/3 lens. And that their m4/3 lens optics does not match the quality of the big E-series lens lineup.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:18 PM   #5

I agree that my 12-60 and 50-200 are not the best on my OM-D (the image quality is fine, however the focus speed is terrible). However, the prime lenses offered by Olympus (45 and 75mm) are out of this world!

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Better ISO (Ted, 2 stops would definitely be good) and a more accurate AF is what I'd like to see and that should be for all AF points, S and CAF modes.

Yeah, I forgot CAF because I just don't use it, but I would if it worked better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
I agree that my 12-60 and 50-200 are not the best on my OM-D (the image quality is fine, however the focus speed is terrible). However, the prime lenses offered by Olympus (45 and 75mm) are out of this world!
They do have a good reputation but personally I love using the ZD zooms. Going back to a bad full of primes would be, for me, like going back to carburetors on car engines. But I do understand that many folks prefer the methodology of using a prime lens.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
I'm not raising my hopes as its just another marketing presentation but this is the first time in years that an "E" camera has been listed in any of Oly's slides.

The "interview" over at DPR was more what ifs and buts, but for the first time they actually talked about the E4xx/5xx/6xx shooters. Now what that means is anyones guess. My own thoughts are that we may see just one E camera - EVF or OVF if were lucky and what size that may now be I don't know. I'd be shocked if we see two - an entry level FT cam and a Pro then the "One beautiful system" has been hit into touch.

the Sony sensor walks all over the 10/12Mp Panasonics at any ISO.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote