Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Wow. I didn't realize that Arizona had herons. That is interesting information. Were you near a large river or lake??
In the southwest there are a few perennial streams and rivers, and almost all of the towns there are, are on one. Sedona is on Oak Creek, which is a large stream. Still, I didn't know it had a sizable fish population so never expected to see a heron. OTOH, in all the years I lived there I never saw an antelope play, as the song goes. Did see roadrunners though.

True story: Phoenix is on the Salt River which is not a perennial stream - it's dry most of the time. In WWII the US had a POW camp in Phoenix (Camp Papago Park), in which they kept captured German sailors. They didn't have tight security because you couldn't get far from Phoenix without carrying a lot of canteens of water, and capturing food would have been an issue too. But some of the Officers heard there was a river nearby, and escaped to go over to the Salt River. They were shocked to discover no water in it, hung out around the edge of town for a couple of days, and then went back to the POW camp where there was food and water.

The camp had the sailors out working on projects during the day, and they were young, very physically fit, and tended to catch the eye of the local girls. Curiously, some of them never made it back to Germany after the war ended.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:58 PM   #12

A few folks around here use motion detectors by their ponds that set off a horn if triggered. That's been keeping the herons away.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
A few folks around here use motion detectors by their ponds that set off a horn if triggered. That's been keeping the herons away.
They must have very understanding neighbors.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:38 PM   #14

....a local Great Blue had lunch every day at one of my neighbors Koi pond last summer while the neighbors were away. The GBH got all but one of the fish....$800 worth; the pond now is a lily display

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Feb 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....a local Great Blue had lunch every day at one of my neighbors Koi pond last summer while the neighbors were away. The GBH Go all but one of the fish....$800 worth; the pond now is a lily display
Hi Bob: LOL. that was an expensive lesson on the natural food chain. The Great Blue Herons do enjoy their fish.
They fish in my backyard, but I don't mind since the fish are not mine. The subdivision prohibits fishing in the ponds, but I guess the GBH can't read. LOL.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote