Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Paris is a definitely prettier than London and the lack of sky scrapers I think adds to it. That second shot of the boats a cracker and the first isn't too bad either!
Harj,

There is more subjects to photograph in Paris, a more photogenic city.

I went to The Louvre Museum and I had chance to use higher ISO's (5000-6000-8000) with the OMD and those looks better than my D600/700. The auto WB of the OMD is very accurate and this is very important because you don't have to use the RAW file to any color correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Great shots. What is the name of the battleship in the background?
Hi James,

Thank you for the feedback, but I'm not sure about your question, there is not a battleship there, maybe you are referring go the Versailles Palace??

Some pictures of the Louvre:

The following shots are ISO 5000 and I don't see any noise or banding on it:

Last edited by MarceloLI; Mar 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:28 PM   #52

Yes there is a battleship or heavy cruiser. Page 3, second photo down.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:35 PM   #53

Hey Marcelo

Hopefully your still in Paris and not in London.. otherwise you would have been rained in for the duration and it looks like its the same till Wednesday when it changes for the worse and we get snow .. Now if its any more than 1mm of the white stuff the whole place will just grind to a halt

Paris is definitely a way more photogenic city and it annoys the crap out of me that I have not made the effort to get out there on a regular basis and take some useful snaps. I think Rome is even better than PAris.. and its a good thing I haven't been to see it as I doubt I'd want to come back.

How do you think the two cities compare to NYC.. ?? My thoughts on NYC was damn the Skyscrapers block out the sun unless you get to Central Park but theres still so many magnificent buildings there.

Interesting to hear that you think the high ISO is a match for your D700/D600.. is that just initial thoughts ? That ISO 5000 does look very good.. whats the NR like on the files at ISO's 3200 or higher ?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:42 PM   #54

I also think they are very nice for high ISO.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:56 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Yes there is a battleship or heavy cruiser. Page 3, second photo down.
I know what you are asking now, it is the HMS Belfast - The Royal Navy- a Second WW battleship converted now in a floating museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Marcelo

Hopefully your still in Paris and not in London.. otherwise you would have been rained in for the duration and it looks like its the same till Wednesday when it changes for the worse and we get snow .. Now if its any more than 1mm of the white stuff the whole place will just grind to a halt

Paris is definitely a way more photogenic city and it annoys the crap out of me that I have not made the effort to get out there on a regular basis and take some useful snaps. I think Rome is even better than PAris.. and its a good thing I haven't been to see it as I doubt I'd want to come back.

How do you think the two cities compare to NYC.. ?? My thoughts on NYC was damn the Skyscrapers block out the sun unless you get to Central Park but theres still so many magnificent buildings there.

Interesting to hear that you think the high ISO is a match for your D700/D600.. is that just initial thoughts ? That ISO 5000 does look very good.. whats the NR like on the files at ISO's 3200 or higher ?
Harj,

I arrived to St. Pancras Station at 5:30 PM and it was raining heavy, the tube was closed because it was so crowed and Police was restraining access to it I waited in a Starbucks like 45 minutes for the station to be open.

London is beautiful and I fell more secure here than Paris, it is also cleaner than Paris. In London what I don't like too much is the tube, it is so small and claustrophobic...

Something that called my attention is the small cars circulating in the city, I found this Fiat behind the Buckingham Palace and I can't resist to photograph it with me:

The high ISO's from the OMD are very clean at 1600/3200, no noise or banding.

I'll do a test between the two systems and I'll post the pictures here so you can compare it.

I'm leaving London tomorrow afternoon, it was a great experience and I hope I can come back again soon.

Have a great day.

Marcelo
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:16 PM   #56

Marcelo.. that looks like the central line .. and my daily journey to and from work ... grrrrrrrrrrrr :B ANGHEAD2: .. A few years back it took me 3 hours to get back home due to issues on the subway just to go from West to East London.

Small cars.. theres loads of them about but until everyone's driving them .. I just think there too dangerous to be in. Nice and dinky .. and good for the environment and such but not for me !

Next time your over drop me a note.. .. Did you get to see the Olympic stadium .. ? If not a wee heads up that its going to be hosting a major athletics event in June this year ....!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:18 PM   #57

More great shots, Marcelo. I have really enjoyed your photos, they are a super travelogue for us to enjoy. That OMD is quite a little powerhouse in your hands.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:18 AM   #58

I've enjoyed all of your photos also, Marcelo!
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:25 PM   #59

A lot of Very nice and Interesting shots Marcelo
Thanks for sharing
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:10 AM   #60

Sorry guys for the late reply, I'm having problems adapting to the 5 hours difference with Paris and London.

Harj,

I really enjoyed this trip and I hope I will be back again to London, I will send you a note for sure.

Thank you Steven, I'm glad you like it.

The OMD is a great camera, it is so easy to use and handle the entire day.

Thank you Ted, it is great to show my pictures with people that appreciate it.

Hi Fred, thank you for the feedback.

Let me close this thread with some pictures I processed yesterday from the RAW files, the differences with the OOC JPGE's are only the contrast the RAW files can achieve and the recovery of highlights, the OMD Auto WB is very accurate and it is a great tool specially when you have 3.500 to process after a long trip

Have a great weekend everyone.

Marcelo