Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:32 PM   #11

When I visited Stonehenge it was the same, you couldn't get close to the stones at all and to make matters worse it was a wet, and biting cold day to be out there. Now paragliding right onto the site would be pretty cool, esp if you could get away with it
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
When I visited Stonehenge it was the same, you couldn't get close to the stones at all and to make matters worse it was a wet, and biting cold day to be out there. Now paragliding right onto the site would be pretty cool, esp if you could get away with it
I took my daughter there on one of those days, wasn't fun. Brr.
Best photo I took there was outside the fence at about midnight with the old OM2, The light meter on that kept the shutter open until "it" felt right. Just the odd car going by did just that in 1/2 hour. Don't know where that one went though.

I was spoilt in the early days when you could wander about and feel the stones, before the owners gave them to the National Trust to be "Open" to the public forever..? They did but they fenced it off and charged money for it.

Thats why Avebury is such a good place to go to. There's a village inside complete with pubs and museums. There are several burial mounds about, like West Kennet Long Barrow and lessor know ones on survey maps. Or satallite maps. Then the "Avenue" from Avebury circle leads alongside the B4003 road, I took one of my posted pics from there. Just stopped the car and wandered into the field of them. It really is a cool area with a special feel to it. Last time we went was in October and we had a really enjoyable stay with time to wander the lessor know "old" areas.
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/e...vebury-map.htm
Lots of public footpaths to those areas. Zoom in along the B4003 and see the avenue stones leading down to the Sanctuary and the WK Long Barrow.

And "No!" you guys, I quit jumping from airyplanes when I was still a young 60.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote