Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:23 PM   #1

Default The new four thirds will be here in late summer

One of the trusted sources at the 4/3 Rumors website claims the new 4/3 camera will be coming this year, and it is a new 4/3, not a hybrid m4/3.

(FT4) Trusted source: E-5 successor coming for sure.

"....A trusted source told me to trust him (LOL) when he says that a native Four Thirds camera is going to be announced this year. He is 100% sure that this is not a hybrid MFT and FT camera but simply a new E-7 FT. He also told me the camera is also ready to go into final production and all specs are defined (alreayd since end of last year). The camera will be on amrket the second half of this year. Good news for all those folks using top class Zuiko FT lenses...."

Wouldn't it be cool if had the new 20MP sensor that Sony just unveiled?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:21 PM   #2

Great news, if it is Sony a sensor will be very interesting to see the Oly glass shining on it.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:20 PM   #3

I'm hoping it does show up and according to the other Japanese site that listed the camera's due this from all of the major players, theres going to be an OMD E7 announced as well.

Lets hope that they have spent a little more time and R&D on the E-& or whatever theyre going to call it and produce something that will be able to compete with the 7DMk2 and D400's from the get go - AF and a new sensor. As I've said before, an EM5 in an E5 body will still be a good camera as long as they fix the crap AF system but better still would be an improved Sony sensor @ 18-20MP + accurate AF.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:23 AM   #4

interestingly what I am hearing is, it isnt the OMD sensor
that the camera isnt the form factor of E5, but said to be bigger than GH3

which raises a few interesting approaches
can we therefore expect ISO performance to be an advance on EM5
and just what size of camera are we talking about here

not expecting a D400 BTW Harj
the small buffer D7100 is going to be about it, or cheap FF

Last edited by Rriley; Mar 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: compulsory spelling mistakes edited
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:06 PM   #5

That previous rumored cameras for 2013 also showed an EM-7 being announced before the E-7 so it might be safe to assume they would share the same sensor. Then again its Oly were dealing with so that may not be the case.

Sizewise, I had a look at a D7000 and walked away thinking it was a good size but the grip wasn't wide enough and no way as good as the E-3. The D600 I saw shortly at its release on the other hand left as good as the E-3 and I wasn;t aware it was smaller until seeing the specs. If they can reduce it so its smaller than the E3/5/E1 (both designs are exactly the same size) but keeps the ergonomics so the HG/SHG's balance as good as they do then I'd be more than happy with that.

I'm not too worried about a large buffer for 8fps or faster - I barely use 2fps but accurate AF in both S/CAF is a must and with all lenses.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:18 PM   #6

yeah really, you will be able to pick up refurb FF a few hundred more than D7100, and for what you do Nikon is probably the go with its flash system. You might want to check out what theyve killed off in the flash dept first though. Thats a Ken Rockwell kinda thing. Also D7100 has the D800 AF module, AF being the point of failure on D800, there seems to be a lot of people with issues with it (although to be fair many more without, or so they say)

Its a bit 6 of one half a dozen of another but I would probably prefer Canon glass, even if their ultra wides suck a bit there are other solutions.

And on AF, you wont hear this anywhere else. I have to shoot with the shutter open for several seconds sometimes, and I was observing GH2 behaviour doing this.

Lets say you set a shutter of 2 secs, when you hit the shutter it takes that 2 secs to illuminate the LCD, and the image on the screen momentarily comes up bright as anything while AF finds a lock. So what appears to happen is it applies all the gain it needs then it goes looking for a lock, so it works quite well in the dark. In order to apply the gain first it acquires exposure, and if the shutter is set slow that adds to the process.

If you move the camera around on the slow shutter, its smears the image on the LCD all over the place, really quite odd to watch. Best explained as slow shutter video.

Now on star skies, heh; you have to shoot MF as it wont AF, and need like 15-20 secs shutter. Its painful to wait for the screen to come up as it takes that full duration, adjust-wait, adjust-wait, adjust wait, etc etc. Then when you take the shot, it takes the same amount of time again to write the image. The whole time you only get glimpses of whats happening on the LCD, one of the most frustrating things Ive ever experienced.

Last edited by Rriley; Mar 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:17 PM   #7

Hey Riley

Mate, I'm not so sure on FF, although the pricing on the D600/6D and the feature set is pretty compelling apart from the dusty and oil bunnies and the AF issues that have hit the Nikon. I've been looking at the Pentax K5 series and the Fuji XE-1/X-pro (the Xpro doesnt look or feel as good as you'd expect but then thats my own hands on opinion of it). The 5DMk2 or the D700 are both still pretty awesome bits of kit and a friend of mine recently took the plunge for the 5DM3 so may see if I can get a chance to play with it. Like you said its Its a bit "6 of one half a dozen of the other".

On the other hand I still like what FT brings to the table - the DOF, stellar lenses across all grades, the crop factor, sealing and the bullet proof build quality. So I think I'm gonna sit tight and see what shows up in the coming months. I'm sure its going to be a big improvement for all E3/E30/E5 shooters when it comes to the sensor, DR and high ISO so thats going to be a big plus point for those of us who are still here. If they try and price gouge then I'd need to re-assess and look at the other options.

Now whats your thought on the MP count and whether the glass will be able to resolve it ? I thought the HG/SHG's were able to resolve around 20MP so would it be wise to stick to 16MP or up the ante to 18-20MP ? If they go beyond say 20MP will we end up in a situation where only the SHG's are going to have to do ?

So hows the GH2 working out and are you using it for work as well or is that still the E5 and the 5D? I didn;t realise that the AF worked like that on the GH2 on long exposures. I can see it being real handy when its in total darkness but a real pain in the rear patience wise... it'd be good to see what the night sky looks from the GH2
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Riley

Mate, I'm not so sure on FF, although the pricing on the D600/6D and the feature set is pretty compelling apart from the dusty and oil bunnies and the AF issues that have hit the Nikon. I've been looking at the Pentax K5 series and the Fuji XE-1/X-pro (the Xpro doesnt look or feel as good as you'd expect but then thats my own hands on opinion of it). The 5DMk2 or the D700 are both still pretty awesome bits of kit and a friend of mine recently took the plunge for the 5DM3 so may see if I can get a chance to play with it. Like you said its Its a bit "6 of one half a dozen of the other".

On the other hand I still like what FT brings to the table - the DOF, stellar lenses across all grades, the crop factor, sealing and the bullet proof build quality. So I think I'm gonna sit tight and see what shows up in the coming months. I'm sure its going to be a big improvement for all E3/E30/E5 shooters when it comes to the sensor, DR and high ISO so thats going to be a big plus point for those of us who are still here. If they try and price gouge then I'd need to re-assess and look at the other options.
sitting tight is about where I am at too, I just not perfectly happy about somewhere else to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT
Now whats your thought on the MP count and whether the glass will be able to resolve it ? I thought the HG/SHG's were able to resolve around 20MP so would it be wise to stick to 16MP or up the ante to 18-20MP ? If they go beyond say 20MP will we end up in a situation where only the SHG's are going to have to do ?
looking across at the highest res FF sensors around and what they produce, when you really get down to the measures of it all E5 isnt that far behind if at all. Within a handful of percent to 16Mp EM5, and a dozen or so to D800/D600. This just shouldnt be for a 12Mp system, but it is.

More Mp based on that experience will only make it better, yes you lose some to diffraction but at the end of the day the glass has always held up, and the files will go out to larger dimensions, professionally we need this as oly is falling behind. Of all lenses anywhere, SHG will cut it, of that I have no doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT
So hows the GH2 working out and are you using it for work as well or is that still the E5 and the 5D? I didn;t realise that the AF worked like that on the GH2 on long exposures. I can see it being real handy when its in total darkness but a real pain in the rear patience wise... it'd be good to see what the night sky looks from the GH2
I bought the Gh2 for video, which has to operate without assisted lights b/se there just isnt any money in it for the setup times that would require. It does amazingly well on that.

The sensor really is a thing of beauty, and I am quite taken with the 16x9 format especially for stills. But the camera its self is a bit of a dog (no offence to dogs intended). It can produce files that are very low noise, and I like the fast lens options that are available for it, indeed I lament these possibilities are not available for 43rds. But the camera is made out of what can only be described as cheap shite one wouldnt ordinarily make a Holga out of, and the control suite is just a frustrating piece of crap. User experience is a yuck, user results, mostly not bad at all especially in low light, but with a propensity to blow skies and crap colours.

In the end it doesnt have a lot to do with EVF's and AF, it has more to do with the experience of shooting the camera.

ugh, so I guess you want to see my star shot, which isnt all that great (Im somewhat embarrassed) taken with the 25/1.4 Summilux at 1.4. My hats off to those astro guys that do this all the time, it aint easy... 'The Southern Cross' (right of frame)

and just for laughs, one of the woofer also at f/1.4, not nearly as sharp looking as it really is

Last edited by Rriley; Mar 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:48 PM   #9

Riley that pic looks superb and too think 90% of folks in cities like London have never seen the night sky look like that ever.

The woofer looks pretty cool too.. I'm amazed how good the sky at night pic looks from using the Leica 25 @ 1.4. I'm assuming that its the FT lecia D and not the m43 version ???
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:29 PM   #10

yes I forget those things, skies are clear like that most nights here.
For truly amazing skies go to the desert, even better yet use your night vision equipment

This was the m43 PL 25/1.4, its not near as good as the 43rds one but a lot cheaper
such a versatile FL too

Last edited by Rriley; Mar 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM.