Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:45 PM   #1

Default E1 RAW fles meet LR 4.x

I finally pulled my finger out and took a look at the E1's raw files and whether LR 4.x could improve on the files that were last PP'd 5 years ago. My PP skills have improved since then and LR4's improved considerably since I last touched an E1's ORF file.

Here's a few pics from Duxford - E1 + 135mm F3.5 OM Zukio (all taken manual focused)

1. Big Beautiful Doll

2. Spitfire.. wings clipped

3. Taxing - "Ferocious Frankie" and "Twighlight Tear"

4. Tailgunner

5. Old Crow

The rest of the gallery is here ..

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/Photography/2013retouched/

1. There were no front or back focusing issues on any of the pics with the E1. A number were not in focus but that was simply due to user error for the first few shots with the 135 F3.5 zukio but once set all the pics were aok focusing wise.

2. The E1 pics dont seem to have that magical look to them that I thought thy used to have and personally I think the E3's pics look just as good.

3. My PP'd skills 5 years back was absolutely terrible, and I'm going through and picking out the files that I think are worth redoing.

4. 135mm f3.5 Zukio - is a cracking bit of glass and made me realise even more that I need more reach than the EC14 + 35-100F2 can give esp as I hate to crop. That lenses aperture ring jammed a few years back and i've not been able to use it since. Its surprising how small and good such a small lens is esp when you compare it to say the beastie.

5. The metering and WB on the E1's better and more consistent than my E3's, although I did underexpose some of the fly by pics by nearly 2 stops.

6. The aircraft fly by pics with the E1+135mm zukio are better than what I've managed with the E3 +35-100F2!

7. AT ISO200 - the E1's raw files are good but there's a wee trace of noise but nothing that a wee bit of NR couldn't fix.

8. LR4.x compared to LR1/LR2 is worlds apart and there was an immediate visible difference in the files.

9. Having a fairly decent display helps - now that I can actually see the colours correctly.

I need to get a few of these printed out just to see what they look like on paper.

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 3, 2013 at 7:12 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:17 PM   #2

Those shots are really neat, Harj. I really them all, but I'm partial to #1.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:31 AM   #3

Great shots Harj, I really like old planes. That tail gunner didn't have a lot between him and blue sky. It looked like a easy target for planes coming up behind, not my idea of a fun day in the sky.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4

I'm going through this years pics at the airshow and just redone the PP for the Red arrows in LR4.4 - E3 + 35-100F2+EC14:

Firs thoughts - noise at ISO200 between the E3 and E1 looks to be the same. Noticed that an 1-1.5 -2 stop underexposed pic on the E1 files seem to recover better than the E3 but thats just my initial thoughts from PP shots of planes in the air.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:43 AM   #5

lovely Spitfire, canon armed Vb (five b)

Identify by only has one radiator (which we cant see) and a relatively short nose without the longer compound (twin) supercharged Merlin. This particular example shot down 9 enemy aircraft in her operational career with 501 and 402 sqdrns. You've got the shutter speed synced just about perfectly in every case
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:57 PM   #6

Hi Riley

Thanks for the info on the Spitee .. I couldn't even remember taking the pic and was surprised how well it cleaned up. I've not seen that particular bird at Duxford since, the 2012 display was a lot smaller than the previous ones.

I've been checking the E1 files again and some of then do have that something colour wise that the E3 doesn't - the E1 files are a little more richer and deeper. I could be mistaken so will post a similar shot or two from Duxford using the E3.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Those shots are really neat, Harj. I really them all, but I'm partial to #1.
+1 from me. That's one of the most effective photos I've seen, to show just how friggin large the prop is. And why propeller driven fighters were tail-draggers.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:23 PM   #8

Still think the P51/Spitee's etc even with those huge props are friggin great!

Ok, some thing different... a bit of nature, take just a few months after getting the E1 so I really didn't have a clue what I was doing with the camera (somethings havent changed!).

Again all shot in RAW - E1 + 14-54 ZD - there's definitely something that's different with the E1 - the tonality of the colours ??? The way LR4 renders oranges and reds is noticeably different from the early version and I'd say more accurate.

1. Grey/Heron (I think) at London Zoo

2. A wee little monkey

Sunflower at Holland Park

Japanese Garden in Holland Park

Tree bark in Epping Forest

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:14 PM   #9

Nice shots Harj. I too love vintage aircraft. Back in the day, if you were a small guy in the AAF, you were elected to be the tail gunner on a
B-17 because there wasn't a whole lot of room to crawl back there. I'm sure there were a lot of brave tail gunners that never made it back home. :-(
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:23 PM   #10

Hi James

Tail and nose gunners and even the side door gunners were seriously brave .. I just don;t know how they managed to pluck up the courage to take up those positions missions after mission. An amazing generation of men...

Still work on the E1 pics.. I hadn't realised how many bad images I had taken and that I could make the look even worse with my PP skills back then.