Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:53 PM   #11

Yeh, that is odd.
Trouble is, you get to know your camera and compensate for it. Instead of just being able to shoot.
With the 70-300 I have to pick up something static on the ground about the same distance I want to pick the planes up and get a lock on, otherwise the lens starts to hunt in and out looking for a focal point and I lose the shot.

Thinking more about the E3, perhaps this summer!?

Just looked at ebay and saw an E30 for $304. Nice one! Got excited then saw that it had 2 1/2 days to run.....Gotta wait..!!!!

Last edited by Scouse; Mar 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:50 PM   #12

Ken

Let us know how you get on.. I think the E30's got the better AF and you can adjust the focusing per lens, although it won't be weathersealed and the OVF isn't as big as the E3's. If you can get an E3 or E30 for that price its going to be a steal.

I've been ploughing through the pics from the marathon and I've been surprised with the number that are in focus .. I think from memory I stopped using CAF after the first few mins when the runners just wizzed straight passed and the the lens just kept zipping back and forth with no chance of a lock. I switched back to SAF - and aimed for the body - just feathering the shutter from a distance and taking a single shot as the runners would approach. That looks to have worked out but theres been zero images in focus of the runners being in parallel to me and the only time the shots in focus is when they've run past - then its a 100% lock ! Right now I think the marathon pics are now complete - pics cover all 3 laps of the circuit.

Here's an example.. its not in focus but its close enough and at that size it looks ok and it improved as a B&W. In colour its not so good. The 2 shots just after he passed me by were totally OOF - faster shutter speed may be and perhaps if I had used the grip with the dual batteries and just blasted away it may have improved. Spray and pray is not my style of shooting.

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 4:38 PM   #13

A major change to the gallery - its now been split into a new section and split into 5 galleries -

1. Olympic Park Construction
2. Before the Games
3. Olympic Games 2012
4. Paralympic Games 2012
5. After the Games 2012 -2013

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/Photograph...cs-Paralympics
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
A major change to the gallery - its now been split into a new section and split into 5 galleries -

1. Olympic Park Construction
2. Before the Games
3. Olympic Games 2012
4. Paralympic Games 2012
5. After the Games 2012 -2013

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/Photograph...cs-Paralympics
Hi Harjj: I like what you did ; just spent time browsing thru the shots, and I like the way you put them in the categories.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:34 AM   #15

Steven said, "Hi Harjj: I like what you did ; just spent time browsing thru the shots, and I like the way you put them in the categories."
_________

Ditto for me Harj....................

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:11 AM   #16

HI Steve/Bob

Thanks for taking a look at the shots - feel free to comment on any pics that you feel shouldn't be there. One big gallery was just too much to look at. I think I have basically completed the actual events for the Olympics, but the others are still a work in progress.

Looking back at the pics bought back memories of how little effort had been put in for the Paralympics before those games started - the torch relay is a prime example due to many thinking they would not be popular or as good as the main games. Now how wrong were they!

In many ways I think I let myself down especially during the games where I simply was not active enough even on a weekly basis to go out and take pics of the other sites and events that were going on. I think I was too timid in not going out of my way to take portraits etc of more of the volunteers inside and outside of the venue and going to the actual various venues and events like the women's marathon that I totally missed out on.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:45 AM   #17

That must be the E-30 that's up to 316.00 right now with a "buy it now" for $540.00. I would be surprised if that goes for less than $400.00. Last week some lucky dude got a E-3 for $271.00. That's what I get for not having an auto bid on it. I would have gladly paid 300.00 for that camera body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Yeh, that is odd.
Trouble is, you get to know your camera and compensate for it. Instead of just being able to shoot.
With the 70-300 I have to pick up something static on the ground about the same distance I want to pick the planes up and get a lock on, otherwise the lens starts to hunt in and out looking for a focal point and I lose the shot.

Thinking more about the E3, perhaps this summer!?

Just looked at ebay and saw an E30 for $304. Nice one! Got excited then saw that it had 2 1/2 days to run.....Gotta wait..!!!!