Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:30 PM   #1

Default London 2012 - Olympic and Paralympic Gallery

Hi Guys and Gals!

I've finally managed to pull my finger out and start to put together a gallery of pics covering both the Olympic and Paralympic Games from last year. Its been quiet a few months and I've only now just got around trying to sort this out. The gallery itself is here:

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/Sports/Lon...8460208_K7SQ3m

Its still a work in progress and I'm likely to change the structure as I add more images from the games. Most of the pics so far are from the 2 Olympic events that I got to see.

Looking back at the pics, I'm sorely disappointed at being a crap sports photographer (composition wise and onwards) and really wish that there had been an Oly camera that could have provided fast and accurate AF with the SHG and used it wide open as it was designed for.

Thoughts and C&C would be more than welcome..

Cheers

Harj

PS... Since Marcelo's gone to Paris..the weathers gone down hill... rain .. rain .. and snows forecast for tomorrow !

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:04 AM   #2

Hi Harj,

You have a great collection of pictures in your gallery, very sharp and great contrast.

I noticed the action shots suffer of some motion blur but you already pushed the ISO to 800, some people choose to use a higher ISO and have a sharp but a noisy picture, I'm not sure about it.

I like the gallery and I think you did a great job capturing in a journalistic stile the Paralympics.

I'm still in Paris but I'll be back to London tomorrow, bad news about the weather.

Marcelo.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:36 AM   #3

Hey Marcelo

I made a number of mistakes esp when in the stadium.

1. Keeping the ISO between 400-800, when I should have let it go up to ISO1200 or 1600 as there were too many underexposed shots - all by at least 1 stop.
2.The second was not shooting at F3.5 or faster at F2.8 - I had my reason for not shooting at 2.8 and that was the files look a little soft wide open with the EC but considering the occasion I should have compromised.
3. Shutter speed - way too slow at 1/250s
4. Should have hired the 150F2 and the EC14

A link that JohnG provided during the games and one I should have properly looked into before going to the Paralympics

http://thestar.blogs.com/photoblog/2...pic-lives.html

I've been checking those pics and for the running out doors, going from ISO100 - ISO800 F2.8 - F5.6 @ 1/2500s

Indoors he was shooting at ISO3200 wide open at F4 and 1/1250

So I was totally off with my shutter speeds.. and ISO, and perhaps I was expecting too much for a 5 year old camera with a dodgy AF system for the action shots. The rest though the E3 did a fine a job.

Will be better prepared for the next batch of events!

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:14 PM   #4

I really like that album Harj some great shots that make you think. I had one of you B&W bike racers in the rain as a screen saver for a while. It really captured the moment in time.

I know what you mean when talking about "Old technology" I'm still holding onto (out of necessity) my old E500. I know the camera and it's limitations and take photos accordingly. BUT there are times (A lot of times) I wish for a higher ISO, faster CAF and in camera stabilisation.

My friend Terry picked up the D6000 a little while back and is really enjoying it, so many features we'd love to have. It's on my list right now and we'll see how real estate goes this year. The only thing I'd miss is the doubler effect of the 4/3 lenses. A good lens selection would sort that though.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:54 PM   #5

Great shots. I like the B&W of the aircraft carrier, looks dramatic with that sky and the ships in the foreground.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:10 PM   #6

James/Ken

Thanks for the comments on whats been uploaded so far. I've been wondering how the E1 would have handled things esp at the higher ISOs and whether the files would have had been a little richer in colour so I'll take it with me for the next few events, so hopefully my back stays good. The London Marathon is on in a few months and then followed up with the disabled mini marathon so I'm planning on going to see those.. the crowds I think will be enormous as people have still got the bug from the games and lots of us are hoping it lasts for more than a year or so.

What I can't work out with the E3's AF is how can it nail a shot when something is moving away from it but is totally unable to track anything thats head on? Thats totally frustrating and one of the reasons whymost of the marathon shots were out of focus - my composition wasn;t good either!

Ken, have you thought about picking up an E3 ? Theyre pretty cheap body wise and apart from the CAF, you'll get something that will do most of what you want and tide you over for a wee bit longer till we all know whats going to happen with the FT ? I'm wishing that if we see anything from Oly, we need to see two DSLRs an E3/5 replacement and an E5XX update or they bring out the OBS so that theres a clear path for everyone still invested in FT and mFT.

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:41 PM   #7

Hi Harj: I finally had a chance to scroll thru the photos and I thoroughly enjoyed them. An excellent mix of action and street shots, and color and B&W. Well done.

I will also second what you said to Ken about finding a used E-3. I love it and I think Ken would be very pleased with it. They are really a bargain, especially considering the price vs. performance. I love my E-3.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:47 PM   #8

I've seen a few E3's on ebay recently for approx $500 USD .. one with just 5k on the shutter and that seems to be cheaper than the refurbs that Cameta were selling (E3 @ 699USD now thats steep for a 5 year old cam). I think if you can get a good low shutter count E3 or E30 for approx 400-500 that would give you a bit more - 100% OVF, twilt swivel LCD, IS , useable ISO upto 1200, but minus a decent CAF. You wouldn't then need to shell out for new glass .. just a thought or you could just save the cash and wait or switch.

Might want to check with Riley as he shoots real estate as well - originally with the E3 first and now its the E-5 and a 5D just to see what he thinks of it would still be ok for that kind of work.

Now back to the crap AF .. how are these ? .. Some of them are cropped a fair bit, so effectively as if it were a 5-6Mp file from the E1. There's too much DOF for some of the pics.. the backgrounds too busy and I should have opened up a bit more but for the AF. I've added a bunch more marathon shots that I hadnt even noticed could be saved or were actually ok. All the pics of the runners needed a wee bit of NR - 30 Luminous NR and 14 for masking within LR .

The focus was actually on the middle runner and not the Italian.

Race Leaders and Winners - now I had thought I that these were OOF but not.. just my composition was appallingly bad.

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
James/Ken

What I can't work out with the E3's AF is how can it nail a shot when something is moving away from it but is totally unable to track anything thats head on? Thats totally frustrating and one of the reasons whymost of the marathon shots were out of focus - my composition wasn;t good either!

Ken, have you thought about picking up an E3 ? Theyre pretty cheap body wise and apart from the CAF, you'll get something that will do most of what you want and tide you over for a wee bit longer till we all know whats going to happen with the FT ? I'm wishing that if we see anything from Oly, we need to see two DSLRs an E3/5 replacement and an E5XX update or they bring out the OBS so that theres a clear path for everyone still invested in FT and mFT.
I've thought about the E3 perhaps with the next house sale???? I think Steven has one and like it.

Don't understand how your CAF will work going away but not coming at you.

I took this sequence with the 500 CAF and it didn't do too badly with the 70-300
158mm f10 1/8oo ISO 320 (about as much as I dare)

Small files for posting.
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:35 AM   #10

Hey Ken

I like those a lot and getting three lined up like that in the sequence is pretty cool. Now what I can;t work out is with those kinds of shots the AF(esp SAF) can be good as long as IS off and the keeper rate isn;t too bad .. here's an example from this year and 3 mustangs the year before:

Runners and anything coming fast head on or slightly headon its simply not up to par in SAF or CAF. Those pics from the marathon and the two above were all taken SAF