Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Thanks Folob. The E-1 is tempting at 189.00 in EX+ condition but for the same price I could bump up to a E-520 in EX+ with 10MP. I wonder how much of an IQ difference there would be between the two.
The E-1 (and E-500) uses a Kodak sensor, and lots of us have a real fondness for the colors OOC from Kodak sensors. BUT, you'll be limited to low ISOs and I think you'd be happier with a more modern sensor like the E-30's, whose color is very good.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:01 PM   #12

Yes it would but used E-30's are going for close to 400 bucks right now, a little more than I want to spend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The E-1 (and E-500) uses a Kodak sensor, and lots of us have a real fondness for the colors OOC from Kodak sensors. BUT, you'll be limited to low ISOs and I think you'd be happier with a more modern sensor like the E-30's, whose color is very good.

Ted
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:52 PM   #13

Sorry double post for some weird reason

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:13 PM   #14

Hi James

Regards both pics, they were PP'd using LR 4, although the conditions on each day was very different. The pic of the "Fearful Tear" and "Ferocious Frankie" the weather was consistently sunny throughout the show where as the following year, with the E3 it ws overcast with outbreaks sun during the morning and then brightening up later on. With the E1 I shot Raw only, where as the E3 its been RAW & jpeg. The WB of the E1 pic was as is - 5300k where as my E3 was choosing 4800-5000k for a sunny out door day, and I missed changing this on the spitfire E3 pic.

Here's one of "Ferocious Frankie" with the E3 - again LR4 and minor adjustments for highlight recover, clarity and the WB set to 5300k.

E3 + 35-100F2 ISO 200 F9 @1/320s

There is a difference between the output of the E-X series cam's and the other models although this I think is jpeg only and how Oly processes the RAW files for the E-X series cams.

One other difference the E1 and E3 - shutter speeds. The E3 can go up to 1/8000s where as the E1 max's out at 1/4000s. That may or may not be significant. The E3 and E1 can go upto 150k clicks - the E30 and the 5XX series cam's can't.

Both E1/E3 cam's have a base ISO at 100, where as the E30 starts at ISO200 (like most new Oly cam's). The E520/510's are limited to ISO 1600 a bit strange as its the same sensor as the E3s.

About the weight of the cams they forgot to mention those were made from lead .

If you can, I would try and save up to get the E3 or E30(for better CAF) over the E510 and esp if your aim is to shoot just jpegs OOC. There is a difference between the colours from the E3 and E30 and then E510, much like you can see that the E1's pic's just have that something different. The E3's colour OOC is closer to the E1 than the E30 or 5XX series cams.

If its between the E520 and an E1 - no contest, its has to be the E1... with the E1, you get a bigger 100% OVF, better files whether RAW or Jpeg and a massive difference in build quality.

Dpreview have a detailed comparison of the E3, E1 and E510

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse3/

From their conclusion ..

"To start with there's no doubt that the E-3 is, without a shadow of a doubt the best Four-Thirds camera ever made and a more than worthy (if a little tardy) successor to the original E-1. It offers users of Olympus 'mid range' SLRs an affordable way to upgrade to a faster, even more customizable camera with a pro-grade weatherproof body and a significantly bigger, brighter viewfinder.
The E-3 is then a camera that produces fantastic results as long as you stay within its comfort zone. Thanks to the limitations of its sensor, if you push the envelope at all (trying to capture too much dynamic range, pushing the sensitivity in low light, trying to eke the finest detail out of a scene) it starts to under-perform compared to the best of its competitors..
If Olympus could only find a sensor to match the quality of the camera itself and the lenses available, the E-3 would have been lifted into a class of its own.... "

May be we should have sent that last quote to Oly as a hint to slap in a decent sensor !

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:48 PM   #15

Harj has certainly described in detail the camera features of the E-1 and E-3. What an excellent description.

I currently have 3 Olympus 4/3 cameras: the E-330, the E-520, and the E-3. In my opinion the E-3 is the best. Period. I like the feel, the way it handles, the larger viewfinder, the swivel LCD and the output. I also like that it is weatherized.

Next best is the E-330. Like the E-3, the E-330 is a rugged and heavy camera, and has the best live view and also has a swivel LCD.

The E-520 lacks the swivel LCD. However, it is much smaller and lighter than the other two, if weight and bulk is a consideration.

So for my personal preferences, I always reach first for the E-3, then the E-330, and then the E-520. That is based on my shooting style and my personal preferences. All three can take good photos.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:35 AM   #16

Steven, do you think $200.00 is a good buy for a E-330 with kit lens and 3690 clicks on the shutter? Also, how is the picture quality compared to the E-3? Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Steven, do you think $200.00 is a good buy for a E-330 with kit lens and 3690 clicks on the shutter? Also, how is the picture quality compared to the E-3? Thanks.
The $200 is sounds reasonable since it includes the kit lens, as the kit lens probably goes for at least 75 to 100 bucks, so basically the camera body is $100 -125. Just keep in mind that there is no Image Stabilization, so it is not the best choice for telephoto lens. I think it has the easiest and best live view, and it seems to have a good hefty build quality. But it is an old sensor, so the newer sensor will outperform it. That said, I captured some good shots with it. But I do believe that the E-3 is the best used value out there. The camera is way more capable that the current selling prince in the $400-500 bucks range.

And probably one of the better current deals out there that I just found, is an E-620 in excellent condition for on $299. That is an excellent camera that is one of the smaller 4/3 model but still with Image Stabilization and the 12.3 megapixel sensor.
http://www.keh.com/camera/Olympus-Di...991186520?r=FE
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:41 PM   #18

Thanks Steve. I've given up on the E-1 for many of the reasons you and others on this forum stated. The cheapest I saw an E-3 go for on Ebay was $371.00. Most are going for 400+ but not over 500. I saw that 620 on KEH but it is the body only, no charger or battery. I have a bid in on a 620 on Ebay now. I bid 200 so I'll see what happens when the clock starts running down. Every E-3 listed on Ebay has sold so it still must be in demand. I really don't need a weather proof body because my body isn't weather proof and I won't stand out in the rain taking picutures. Then would come the expense of weather proof lenses and on and on.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:14 PM   #19

Hey Jim...

Now that mentioned the build quality .. I'd stick and wait for an E3, although the E330 was and still is a fine camera. Its sensor is slightly older than the E3's although I've seen some stunning images with it and there was one pro photographer on the West coast that used to use it with a Leica R. IS does come in handy and the VF from the E330 is smaller than the E1 or E3's.

http://www.northcoastphotos.com/ncphoto/old/Lympa.htm

You can see some of his work with the Leica setup and its pretty impressive.

Now hows this for a "I want that lens and camera" pic (copyright Northcoastphoto):

Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:51 PM   #20

Yep, hard to beat Leica glass.