Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:54 PM   #1

Default Fourty seconds and a flashlight.

Always wanted to do this so Terry and I got out in the dark...and cold last night with my heavy duty tripod and tried a couple of shots. Didn't take long to sort the exposures either.

He was using his D6000 and gathered an amazing amount of light with half the exposure time of mine. Fun watching his screen as he painted the trees with light.

E500 and kit 14-45 @14mm. 100 ISO. manual 40seconds at f4.5 Light from a 12 volt lamp plugged into a battery jumper. And fun. Something I'd like to do with the stone circles in England.
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:12 PM   #2

Hey Ken

Thats a pretty cool idea and i like that shot quiet a bit. Never thought about doing something like that .. will need to try it out at some point although I cant still get used to using a tripod!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:47 PM   #3

I got the idea some years ago from a photo of Stonehenge at night. The tog wore a black 'ninja' suit and ran around "Painting" the stones with light for about 45 minutes?

Seems there are quite a few who seem to specialize in light painting these days. Google it up.
I'll be trying some more soon.

I couldn't find the original, it was really impressive but this guy has some tips. http://photography.nationalgeographi...es-richardson/

Last edited by Scouse; Mar 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:57 AM   #4

Well done, Ken! I haven't thought about light painting in a while. Where I've seen it done is similar to what you did, but with dark skies so you see the Milky Way in the photo. Not gonna happen where I live...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Well done, Ken! I haven't thought about light painting in a while. Where I've seen it done is similar to what you did, but with dark skies so you see the Milky Way in the photo. Not gonna happen where I live...

Ted
Thanks Ted. I like the effect and I've seen some really good ones that show the night sky. So got to look for another subject and see.

We do get the milky way. now and then..

Did get a look at the moon, which was at the 1/4, D shaped, but 40 seconds is too long to ask it to be still.

Just looking through the shots I took and all have those red spots on, looks like the sensor needs scraping and wire brushing.