Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:35 PM   #1

Default Anyone tried the OM 200F2 on the E's ?

Was browsing Biofos site and came across his OM lenses on E-system test and spotted how good both the 135 F3.5 and the 200 OM are on the E330:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e330.html

Now I have the 135 although the apertures seized up and was wondering if anyone has tried out the OM 200mm and if so what were the real life results like. I'm thinking it would make an interesting and small 400mm lens and in manual mode, should be easy to shoot with as well esp for say sports etc without shelling out for the 70-300, 50-200 or the 150 F2 !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:25 PM   #2

Hi Harj: I have several manual focus lens which I've owned since my 35mm days with the OM-2. I don't own the 200mm Zuiko, but I do own the Zuiko 65-200mm. So I can't speak directly about the Zuiko 200mm.

I also own a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm, and a Tokina 80-200mm. They are okay, but not equal to the digital ZD lens. That said, I do use them from time to time.

The Olympus 65-200 and the Vivitar 70-210 are both too big and bulky. My favorite to use is actually the Tokina, which is much smaller and lighter, and easier to handle and use. When I bought the Tokina years ago, I also bought it with the companion Tokina 2x teleconverter. Even with the teleconverter mounted, the Tokina zoom is still lighter than the other two, and kinda fun to use. It's a really cheap alternative to an 800mm equivalent. While the sharpness of todays ZD is not there; neither is the high price.

Probably my most used manual lens from my old OM system is actually the 50mm macro lens. With the E-3, the viewfinder is big and bright enough to manual focus the lens easily, or to focus with the live view.

With all that said, a few years ago I bought a new 4/3 mount Sigma 55-200mm zoom. Got it on sale for $100. Small and lightweight, and not nearly as sharp as the ZD 50-200. But not too bad either, and I keep it on my E-520 as a backup grab and go second outfit to my E-3.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:30 AM   #3

Out of curiosity since I do not own any OM lenses, is there a reason the Om-4/3 adapters are not AF confirm? I know when I tried a Pentax K-4/3 AF confirm it was useless unless you ruin the lens by removing the aperture thingy (no idea what the proper term for that lever is). I have an AF confirm for my Adaptalls and I love it, even with the viewfinder of the E-1 it is still helpful.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Out of curiosity since I do not own any OM lenses, is there a reason the Om-4/3 adapters are not AF confirm? I know when I tried a Pentax K-4/3 AF confirm it was useless unless you ruin the lens by removing the aperture thingy (no idea what the proper term for that lever is). I have an AF confirm for my Adaptalls and I love it, even with the viewfinder of the E-1 it is still helpful.
John
You can buy OM to 4/3 adapters with the AF confirm chips from several vendors on e-bay. Lots of people like them, and the first adapter I bought was an AF confirm adapter. It fits the original OM lens with no problem.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
was wondering if anyone has tried out the OM 200mm and if so what were the real life results like.
I never tried the 200mm f/2 but John Foster liked the 300mm f/4.5 so a few years ago I thought I'd do what you're contemplating, and bought that one used. I did some test shots against the ZD 50-200 (MkI) with the TC1.4, that combo at the long end being 280mm, at f/4.9 (I think) which is close enough to the Zuiko 300mm for a comparison.

My conclusions may be relevant to your question: in terms of IQ, although there's no matching the telecentric ZDs for contrast and pop, the Zuiko was closer than I expected. In terms of useability it's hard to give up Autofocus and auto-diaphragm - that long 300mm isn't easy to focus without the old split image viewfinders - but then the Zuiko is much more compact and less heavy than the ZD zoom combo. (I.e. Note that when you zoom out the 50-200 the front element extends so far that you have to look both ways to avoid hitting a pedestrian...)

I still have the Zuiko 300mm because I figure at some point when I find a place to buy one of those round toits, I'll use it more. I think it can be a fun lens, and my L1 does have a Katzeye split image viewfinder and of course the L1s were unique in having built-in focus confirm beep with manual focus lenses. Hmmmmmm, totally retro. Hmmmmm........

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
You can buy OM to 4/3 adapters with the AF confirm chips from several vendors on e-bay. Lots of people like them, and the first adapter I bought was an AF confirm adapter. It fits the original OM lens with no problem.
Thanks, learned something new today. I know there are some good OM lenses for cheap out there, maybe have to look into some as I still enjoy using the E-1. Has the best feel of any DSLR I have used.

John
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks, learned something new today. I know there are some good OM lenses for cheap out there, maybe have to look into some as I still enjoy using the E-1. Has the best feel of any DSLR I have used.
John
If you want a focus-confirm adapter I'd get one soon. There used to be a selection on ebay but now I see only one OM to 4/3 adapter. In the past, the one folks seemed to like the most was sold by jinfinance - dunno if he still does.

Interestingly there are a number of such adapters to mount OM glass on Canon DSLRs. Which brings me to my main point - OM glass is only cheap compared to the ZD lenses - fast OM glass is still well respected and priced accordingly. Mounting those lenses on other DSLRs seems to be a good option for folks. Right now eBay has a lot of inexpensive OM mount lenses but they're mostly not Oly glass and those that are, are not the fast lenses. Except for one 100mm f/2 that's priced at US$949.

I think that if you watch eBay closely you can find a good deal, but I would stay with prime lenses made by Oly - back then the zooms were nowhere as good as they are now, an unsung result of the computer revolution.

Ted
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
If you want a focus-confirm adapter I'd get one soon. There used to be a selection on ebay but now I see only one OM to 4/3 adapter. In the past, the one folks seemed to like the most was sold by jinfinance - dunno if he still does.

Interestingly there are a number of such adapters to mount OM glass on Canon DSLRs. Which brings me to my main point - OM glass is only cheap compared to the ZD lenses - fast OM glass is still well respected and priced accordingly. Mounting those lenses on other DSLRs seems to be a good option for folks. Right now eBay has a lot of inexpensive OM mount lenses but they're mostly not Oly glass and those that are, are not the fast lenses. Except for one 100mm f/2 that's priced at US$949.

I think that if you watch eBay closely you can find a good deal, but I would stay with prime lenses made by Oly - back then the zooms were nowhere as good as they are now, an unsung result of the computer revolution.

Ted
Yes, I noticed that the price for the 300/4 is about the same as it would be for my Pentax. Still something i will consider, maybe just get the adapter for now so that I have it.

John
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, I noticed that the price for the 300/4 is about the same as it would be for my Pentax. Still something i will consider, maybe just get the adapter for now so that I have it.

John
Probably a good idea. You might try to contact the jinfinance store on ebay and see if they still sell them.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:08 PM   #10

I've seen some owl shots captured by a guy posting over at DPReview in the Olympus DSLR forum where he was using the 200mm f2 OM on his E-5. They were some time ago, and they were awesome.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote