Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Anyway, that is way out of my price range. With good electronics you need good speakers to reproduce the quality you bought. More big money. Many people have used the big Klipshorn corner speakers with that amp because they pushed a lot of high quality air and were very efficient.
Well my OP wasn't about affordable audio, it was about folks with more money than sense.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:57 PM   #12

Now you got me wondering what I would do if I ever won a big lottery.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi Scouse, That was a project I did last year. Many, many years ago I was an entertainment DJ and back then I used two Technics turntables to spin 45 rpms. Well I had over 1,000 45's before I called it quits doing the DJ scene. Last year my friend loaned me his high end Marantz turntable because I wanted to put all of the "good" tunes on CDs. Ended up doing about 17 or 18 CDs (approx 340 tunes)...took forever cleaning each 45 and recording it at real time and this took many days to complete. When I got through, everybody and their brother wanted a copy of that collection and on and on.....Anyway, to make a long story short, they came out very good using my Sony CD recorder/player.
Excellent, now I miss mine even more. I have this "Old radiogram" down in the basement with a couple of LP's I missed. Like, Doris Day's Xmas hits.....perhaps if I send it to you.....never mind.

My "Next" winter project (I say this every year) Is to take the chest full of slides I've shot with my old OM1 and OM2 and copy all those to disc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Well my OP wasn't about affordable audio, it was about folks with more money than sense.
Wouldn't it be nice....as the song goes..

Last edited by Scouse; Mar 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:52 AM   #14

I've been doing that for 3 years as well. So far I have 20 slides done with about 2,000 left to go.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:32 PM   #15

Quote:
"Then it gets tricky: you don't get squat for power out of a vacuum tube amp"

Mmm, I've been an audiophile for years but not on that price level. You can get some high power tube amps but you will pay dearly for them.....if you can find one someone is willing to give up.

I used to have TWO McIntosh 240s that I strapped for their 80 watt mono output (per amp) to drive a set of truly amazing Klipsch speakers that claimed most of the space in my den -- wife hated it because of the size and, yes, they were ugly huge boxes!

Sadly (now) I sold both amps (and the speakers) when I moved from Arizona back to California in 1988. Got $350 for each amp and was happy just to trim the "possessions" down to something I wouldn't need a castle to fit them into. Wish now that I'd held onto those amps for at least another ten years just for the investment value!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:47 PM   #16

I'm sure the sound you had from that equipment would still be considered audiophile quality today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootPilgrim View Post
I used to have TWO McIntosh 240s that I strapped for their 80 watt mono output (per amp) to drive a set of truly amazing Klipsch speakers that claimed most of the space in my den -- wife hated it because of the size and, yes, they were ugly huge boxes!

Sadly (now) I sold both amps (and the speakers) when I moved from Arizona back to California in 1988. Got $350 for each amp and was happy just to trim the "possessions" down to something I wouldn't need a castle to fit them into. Wish now that I'd held onto those amps for at least another ten years just for the investment value!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:56 AM   #17

Quote:

Boy,

I wish we knew each other when you were selling (or giving away)
those Mac 240s.

The spoucal acceptance factor rears it's ugly head more often in your choice of speakers than in any other item that a guy can buy. I owned a pair of Mirage 3si for a long time. They were 5ft high monoliths that gave an incredible sound My wife hated them even though she admitted she appreciated the sound that they provided.
I caved in one day and replaced them with a much smaller set of Paradigm Studio 60s

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Sorry, Ted! Seems we've inadvertently hijacked the subject of your thread. But if I were one of those people with cash (or even a big credit line ), I'd probably say "to hell with sense!" too.

ZIG: There's the rub! I wanted a pair of KLH-9s (6 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 8 inches thick electrostatic monsters), but "settled" for the Klipschhorns to keep the size down to something that would fit in the den.

I've discovered that, in these areas, "What the-mizzus likes" is never gonna be what you like. So it's either fugettaboutit or find a way to slink off, do it anyway and hide the evidence. Fortunately, cameras are hide-able -- unless your wife is a camera nut, too.

Last edited by BarefootPilgrim; Mar 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
BarefootPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:15 AM   #19

Hah! The last five cameras I had, my wife never knew that it was a new camera. She'd always say, boy you've had that camera a long time and it still works. She just doesn't notice anything like that. I bought her a Canon SD790IS a few years ago and the only time she ever uses it is when she goes to Arizona to visit her family. Then I have to teach her how to use it all over again.
Quote:
Sorry, Ted! Seems we've inadvertently hijacked the subject of your thread. But if I were one of those people with cash (or even a big credit line ), I'd probably say "to hell with sense!" too.

ZIG: There's the rub! I wanted a pair of KLH-9s (2feet tall, 4 feet wide, 8 inches thick electrostatic monsters), but "settled" for the Klipschhorns to keep the size down to something that would fit in the den.

I've discovered that, in these areas, "What the-mizzus likes" is never gonna be what you like. So it's either fugettaboutit or find a way to slink off, do it anyway and hide the evidence. Fortunately, cameras are hide-able -- unless your wife is a camera nut, too.