Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:26 AM   #1

Default OT: So, you vinylheads think you're up on the latest turntables?

Have you seen this one, exhibited at the recent CES in Vegas?

It is the Air Force One from TechDAS. The platter floats on an air bearing and the record is held flat to the platter with air suction - god forbid your record isn't perfectly flat or slips on the platter.

Oh yeah, it sells for $125K. Not including a $5,500 tonearm. Or two. Also not including a cartridge.

Photography hasn't completely bankrupted me - I think I'll get two. I always wanted a 160 lb. turntable.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 28, 2013 at 6:28 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:00 AM   #2

Just think of the rapture that you'll experience when you hear that favorite song for the first time.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:12 AM   #3

Wow! Only $125K. Yep, you should buy two of them at least. Then dig out your stacks of wax and listen to the snap crack and pop!!

(I remember the exotic turntables from years ago in my audiophile days, and the resistance to them new-fangled CDs. I still have my Marantz receiver and Marantz tape deck, but no longer have a turntable.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4

It would definitely be for a vinyl nut with lots of money. I don't think I have 12K tied up in my whole system and I don't even have a turntable although I wish I would have kept my high end Denon Turntable. Now, why am I saving all my vinyl LPs with nothing to play them on.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Let me know how it sounds Ted, It'd look good in your "man cave"

I got rid of all my vinyl some years back, then a week or two later I saw this turntable in the store that sent your music staight to digital CD. About $100. I could have done some really good mix and match with that.

Look into one James, something to do on those long, cold, snowy winters...
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:13 AM   #6

Hi Scouse, That was a project I did last year. Many, many years ago I was an entertainment DJ and back then I used two Technics turntables to spin 45 rpms. Well I had over 1,000 45's before I called it quits doing the DJ scene. Last year my friend loaned me his high end Marantz turntable because I wanted to put all of the "good" tunes on CDs. Ended up doing about 17 or 18 CDs (approx 340 tunes)...took forever cleaning each 45 and recording it at real time and this took many days to complete. When I got through, everybody and their brother wanted a copy of that collection and on and on.....Anyway, to make a long story short, they came out very good using my Sony CD recorder/player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Let me know how it sounds Ted, It'd look good in your "man cave"

I got rid of all my vinyl some years back, then a week or two later I saw this turntable in the store that sent your music staight to digital CD. About $100. I could have done some really good mix and match with that.

Look into one James, something to do on those long, cold, snowy winters...

Last edited by James Emory; Mar 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Just think of the rapture that you'll experience when you hear that favorite song for the first time.
Funny that you use that word. Dunno if you realize it, but there is a small group of audiophiles who firmly believe that music listened to on analog equipment is much better than digital - the term "warmer" is often used. But this is a real financial commitment. Besides the vinyl records, a turntable and cartridge, you have to have a vacuum tube preamp and amplifiers. Then it gets tricky: you don't get squat for power out of a vacuum tube amp so you need super-efficient (i.e, extraordinarily expensive) speakers. In years past this system could easily add up to $60 large - I'm sure it's more expensive now. (Check out Stereophile magazine if you don't believe me.)

Now, what are the odds that when you spend that much money, you're gonna decide it doesn't sound a lot better? Just like:
Q: How do you like that painting you just spent $2 million on?
A: I love it! Best painting I've ever seen.

So rapture is the correct word, I think.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 1:02 PM   #8

"Then it gets tricky: you don't get squat for power out of a vacuum tube amp"

Mmm, I've been an audiophile for years but not on that price level. You can get some high power tube amps but you will pay dearly for them.....if you can find one someone is willing to give up.

Old Mar 28, 2013, 1:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
"Then it gets tricky: you don't get squat for power out of a vacuum tube amp"

Mmm, I've been an audiophile for years but not on that price level. You can get some high power tube amps but you will pay dearly for them.....if you can find one someone is willing to give up.

You can buy that McIntosh MC275 new today - $4,500. And it's 2-channel so you only need one of them - what a deal! But you will need a vacuum tube pre-amp, the McIntosh C2500 is $6,500. You're on your way - you might be able to pull this off for only $25 large!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 1:45 PM   #10

They just made a few of the Commerative MC275's and then made a few more without the emblem. Pretty much the same as the original but they used three PC boards to reduce point to point wiring. Anyway, that is way out of my price range. With good electronics you need good speakers to reproduce the quality you bought. More big money. Many people have used the big Klipshorn corner speakers with that amp because they pushed a lot of high quality air and were very efficient.