Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:51 PM   #11

Thanks Steve,I did download the PDF manual and I will print it out if the original manual doesn't cover everything. That was the case with my E-PL2, manual covered most of the basics, etc, but not the entire gamut. The link Harj sent looks pretty informative so when I get my camera I will have to look/read everything. I don't know if the four extra batteries are Olympus but the seven CF cards are all Olympus brand even though I doubt they actually make them. I did see a 14-54mm for sale for under 100 but all that's in my wallet now is leather. Once I reload I will hunt for the 14-54 and a 40-150 and hope that the 4/3 version is as good as the M43 version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Well done James. I love my E-3, especially with my old 50-200mm MKI. It is a big, rugged camera but the ergonomics is just right for my hands, it handles great. It also had the steepest learning curve of any camera I've ever owned. Expect to spend some serious time learning all the many, many setting options for this camera.

I have the original version (not the newest SWD) version of the 50-200 and it is a great lens mounted on this camera. I also own the 12-60mm which is a great lens, but you can get the same quality if you pick up a used original version of the 14-54mm.

The 35mm macro is a lens that is still on my wish list. And the Wrotniak website mention by Harj is an excellent source for information.

Have fun learning your new toy.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:31 PM   #12

James, I think the 35mm is a cracking lens to start off with. I think the 43 version of the 40-150 is going to be better than the m43 version - bigger and heavier yes but optically it should be better.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:14 PM   #13

Thanks Harj, I was hoping to hear that about the 40-150 and they are dirt cheap on eBay or KEH.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Thanks Harj, I was hoping to hear that about the 40-150 and they are dirt cheap on eBay or KEH.
Yes, they are inexpensive because they are the kit lens that were with the older 4/3 cameras. And for kit lens they are good. I have one that I use on my E-330 and E-520 with good results. But the E-1 came with the excellent 14-54 and the E-3 and E-5 came with the 12-60. Both the 14-54 and 12-60 are HG lens (High Grade).

So start off with the 40-150, it is a bargain for the price. But keep your eye out for a used 14-54. (Get the older original Mk I, it is a lot less expensive than the current Mk II version. And optically it is as good as my 12-60, but a lot less expensive)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:34 PM   #15

I've also got the Oly 35mm macro to play around with. That lens is pretty sharp. I was told today my E-3 will be here Wednesday. It will definitely be interesting learning about it. I haven't pulled out any hair since I got PSE 10 which is now no longer on my computer. LR4 seems much easier to use or at least navigate through.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:33 PM   #16

....well goody for sure James. I still use my E-3 quite a bit including last weekend when I shot the arts festival. I bought it the first 6-mos it was available and have loved it ever since.

As for the lenses, I have a bunch.... original 14-45, 40-150, 14-54 & 50-200 that I've had for more than 6-yrs and used with my E-300 before the E-3. I also have the 35mm, the current 40-150 & 70-300 and 9-18.

Of all these lenses I heartily recommend the 14-54 FIRST, it is not big on the E-3 and you would absolutely love it, then the 50-200 which as everyone has told you is BIG but it is such a good one....... after that it would be choose what fits your style, the 9-18 is wonderful.

I hope you will enjoy using the E-3, it is a bit of a monster in capability so get ready to have some fun and DO USE HARJ's LINK TO THE WROTNIAK FILES.

I also would recommend doing a factory default setting to the camera since it is a used machine; then starting fresh with new settings and of course download the pdf manual from Olympus USA.

The resets are done with a combination of button holds and a dial select.... see pg 33 of the pdf manual for the reset combinations.

Too, I recommend you download Olympus Viewer 3 and update the firmware for the E-3 and any lenses you may get.

Enjoy, 73, Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:48 AM   #17

Hey, James - congrats! You will really like using that camera. Like you and Steven, my hands are too big to be comfortable on the E-XXX or 43 cameras.

I bought the E-5 only because I do use high ISOs a lot, and because my Summilux 25mm f/1.4 wouldn't focus properly on the E-3 so i needed the E-5's autofocus adjust capability (which made the Summilux usable).

Did you mention how many shutter actuations the E-3 you bought, has? Maybe you did and I missed it.

PS: I loved the 14-54 MkI when I had it - I'll throw my vote in that you get that lens. The only reason I sold it was to get the 14-35 f/2.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 2, 2013 at 7:53 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:54 AM   #18

Thanks Bob. Yes I do have Viewer 3 and I was thinking about that last night....I wonder if the latest firmware is installed. The 14-54 will definitely be my first lens. I have heard a lot of good about it. Hopefully I can get one at a reasonable price. Yes, I plan on doing a factory default reset and start from scratch. I found out today that the previous owner had a screen protector on from day one. Good news to hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....well goody for sure James. I still use my E-3 quite a bit including last weekend when I shot the arts festival. I bought it the first 6-mos it was available and have loved it ever since.

As for the lenses, I have a bunch.... original 14-45, 40-150, 14-54 & 50-200 that I've had for more than 6-yrs and used with my E-300 before the E-3. I also have the 35mm, the current 40-150 & 70-300 and 9-18.

Of all these lenses I heartily recommend the 14-54 FIRST, it is not big on the E-3 and you would absolutely love it, then the 50-200 which as everyone has told you is BIG but it is such a good one....... after that it would be choose what fits your style, the 9-18 is wonderful.

I hope you will enjoy using the E-3, it is a bit of a monster in capability so get ready to have some fun and DO USE HARJ's LINK TO THE WROTNIAK FILES.

I also would recommend doing a factory default setting to the camera since it is a used machine; then starting fresh with new settings and of course download the pdf manual from Olympus USA.

The resets are done with a combination of button holds and a dial select.... see pg 33 of the pdf manual for the reset combinations.

Too, I recommend you download Olympus Viewer 3 and update the firmware for the E-3 and any lenses you may get.

Enjoy, 73, Bob
Old Apr 2, 2013, 6:01 PM   #19

Hi Ted, I don't know how many clicks on the shutter. I thought he said a little over 16K but I'm not sure if it was for that E-3 or another one I was looking at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hey, James - congrats! You will really like using that camera. Like you and Steven, my hands are too big to be comfortable on the E-XXX or 43 cameras.

I bought the E-5 only because I do use high ISOs a lot, and because my Summilux 25mm f/1.4 wouldn't focus properly on the E-3 so i needed the E-5's autofocus adjust capability (which made the Summilux usable).

Did you mention how many shutter actuations the E-3 you bought, has? Maybe you did and I missed it.

PS: I loved the 14-54 MkI when I had it - I'll throw my vote in that you get that lens. The only reason I sold it was to get the 14-35 f/2.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Hi Ted, I don't know how many clicks on the shutter. I thought he said a little over 16K but I'm not sure if it was for that E-3 or another one I was looking at.
That's something you need to know before you buy, although it's less critical for the E-X pro-level cameras. IIRC their shutter's MTBF is rated at 150,000 actuations.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote