Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:54 PM   #21

I'm pretty sure it was 16K and by the appearance
of the camera I'd be surprised if it was much
more than that. It still has the original
screen protector on since day one and that
looks very clean. The E3 is not a camera
a true paid professional would use so its highly
unlikely there is an unusually high
number of clicks on it. I believe a pro
would opt for a full frame camera.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:56 AM   #22

Just to clarify my statement above. In no way do I mean the E-3 is not a good camera, it's just my opinion only, that a paid full time professional would want a higher MP full frame sensor and ability to have accurate focusing capabilities in most if not all situations that may arise. Of the numerous professional sports events I have attended, I have yet to see professional photographers using something other than full frame cameras.

Last edited by James Emory; Apr 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Of the numerous professional sports events I have attended, I have yet to see professional photographers using something other than full frame cameras.
That's certainly true of professional sports event and most wedding photographers (for whom reliable autofocus and high ISO are critical), however they comprise only a part of professional photography. On other photography forums I know a number of pro photographers who use Oly equipment. They are a minority but are not non-existent. Also, a lot of them use 43 cameras because they like the lower weight, and it appears that 43 cameras would be used more by pros if there were some good 43 zoom lenses.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:53 AM   #24

I can agree with you here and me switching to an E-3 wasn't because I wasn't happy with the E-PL2's image quality, I just feel more comfortable with a big body in my hands.

Oh, my E-3 just arrived and it is exceptionally clean, not a mark on it anywhere. Almost looks like I was the first one to open it. I'm going to have to look in the manual and see how to read the shutter clicks if there is a way. Put my Oly 35mm on and took a couple of pics and it looks good so far. Now I have a lot of reading to do, thats for sure. Looks like the previous owner reset everything to factory default as there was no data present in Set 1 or Set 2. Four of the batteries are Olympus and one is a Promaster. At least I won't have to buy any spare batteries thats for sure. I am pretty excited about this camera and cannot wait to learn its capabilities.

Oh, the seven cards that came with it are XD cards. This is the first time I ever knew there was such a thing. A couple of the cards are small, like 512MB and I believe two are 2 GB. I will probably switch to CF cards as I don't believe the XD cards are available any higher than 2 GB. For now, they will be fine.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:25 PM   #25

James, you might try this sequence to check your E-3 ==> http://tinyurl.com/7y5lpfg

If I remember correctly it is a reset option to write current data to Set 1 and/or Set 2, otherwise current data are not written to Set(n).

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:31 PM   #26

I guess I don't understand steps 4 and further. Once I press menu and OK buttons together and cannot get into the menu to do the WB etc, etc.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:45 PM   #27

Found an easier way here Bob.
http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-camera...utter-count-ft

The shutter count on my E-3 is 11,370. Not bad at all considering they are good for over 100K clicks. I don't think I will even get near that in my lifetime.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Oh, the seven cards that came with it are XD cards. This is the first time I ever knew there was such a thing. A couple of the cards are small, like 512MB and I believe two are 2 GB. I will probably switch to CF cards as I don't believe the XD cards are available any higher than 2 GB. For now, they will be fine.
The xD card format was created by Oly and Fuji, I believe for use in allowing P&S cameras of the time to get smaller because xD cards are so small.* They were always somewhat slower than CF cards and never got much market penetration especially after SD cards came out. So Oly and Fuji didn't pursue creating larger capacity/faster versions. Oly hung on to using them as the 2nd card slot in their DSLR cameras like a drowning man holding on to a life preserver, but finally switched to SD as the 2nd card slot in the E-5.

Get yourself a xD card reader for a USB port - Amazon has a number of inexpensive ones.

And your seller used CF cards in the first slot for sure - he just kept them - I'd bet a lot on that (e.g. I'd bet Ken's sailboat on it). Pro and experienced amateur togs tend to prefer the durability of CF cards over the suspiciously thin SD (or xD) cards. And the xD was an improvement over the second card slot in my first Oly DSLR - a SmartMedia card.

*That card allowed Fuji to build the FinePix E550 which was a marvel nine years ago in 2004: a very small 6MP camera with a 32.5 - 130mm eq., f/2.8 - 5.6 lens and a viewfinder that zoomed with the lens. In many cases it's the best camera in the world in the sense that I have it with me a lot, so I can keep up with my cat (shown here "hiding" behind some wild onions so she can spring out at my dog, who can smell her a half a block away and thus thinks this is hilarious):

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:00 PM   #29

The E-3 did come with an Olympus xD card reader so I'm all set there but down the road I would rather use CF cards. I might even have one around here from my Canon 40D.

The camera did not come with a USB remote cable so if anyone on the forum has an extra one they would like to sell, please PM me. I'm going to need that to update the firmware. Oops, I just checked the firmware and I believe it's the latest one....1.4 but not positive.

Last edited by James Emory; Apr 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:02 PM   #30

Glad the camera arrived James. It sounds like you have a good one.

The xD cards are used as a backup to the CF card in case you fill one up while shooting. Get some Sandisk CF cards minimum size 4GB to use as your primary cards. The Sandisk CF cards are much faster and more rugged than the little xD cards. XD cards are an older design that is limited to 2 GB, and there will no further development or improvement in them.

I normally have a 4 GB Sandisk CF along with a 2GB xD card loaded in the two slots of my E-3. You select which card to use on the Super Control menu on the back of the E-3.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote