Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:04 PM   #31

Thanks Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Glad the camera arrived James. It sounds like you have a good one.

The xD cards are used as a backup to the CF card in case you fill one up while shooting. Get some Sandisk CF cards minimum size 4GB to use as your primary cards. The Sandisk CF cards are much faster and more rugged than the little xD cards. XD cards are an older design that is limited to 2 GB, and there will no further development or improvement in them.

I normally have a 4 GB Sandisk CF along with a 2GB xD card loaded in the two slots of my E-3. You select which card to use on the Super Control menu on the back of the E-3.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:09 PM   #32

What should I be looking for as to the write speed? No sense paying for one higher than what the E-3 can write.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
What should I be looking for as to the write speed? No sense paying for one higher than what the E-3 can write.
I'll let some of the more technical guys like Ted answer that. I don't pay much attention to write speeds. The E-3 has a pretty good size buffer, and a modern CF card should do okay. I tend to use Sandisk Extreme's or Ultras, and don't have any problems with the camera stopping to write to the cards. The only time I have had to wait on card writing is taking a burst using the xD card.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:22 PM   #34

Quote:
I'll let some of the more technical guys like Ted answer that. I don't pay much attention to write speeds. The E-3 has a pretty good size buffer, and a modern CF card should do okay. I tend to use Sandisk Extreme's or Ultras, and don't have any problems with the camera stopping to write to the cards. The only time I have had to wait on card writing is taking a burst using the xD card.
The Extremes or Ultras were fine for me on the E-3. For still cameras, you need to worry the most if you're shooting video anyway (I've forgotten if the E-3 can do that - I never did). But Steven's correct about the brand - Sandisk has never let me down and I use them a lot in digital audio recorders. Flash memory cards all have a finite number of write/erase cycles before they will eventually fail to record, but that takes a lot of use especially for Sandisk cards.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:23 PM   #35

You can buy a 4GB SanDisk Ultra II card for 20 bucks at TigerDirect. You could check to see how that compares to the stores in your areas. If there is a CompUSA store in your area they will have the same price, as they are owned by Tiger Direct
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2370&CatId=376
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:38 PM   #36

Just checked B&H and they have the Sandisk 4GB Ultra 200X for 17.95 w/free shipping.
Quote:
You can buy a 4GB SanDisk Ultra II card for 20 bucks at TigerDirect. You could check to see how that compares to the stores in your areas. If there is a CompUSA store in your area they will have the same price, as they are owned by Tiger Direct
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2370&CatId=376
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Just checked B&H and they have the Sandisk 4GB Ultra 200X for 17.95 w/free shipping.
That is a good deal, you should pick up at least two. I have never had a problem buying from B&H, and I've bought from them for years.

The reason I suggest that you get at least two, is because you might have a couple of days of heavy shooting, and didn't have time to download your card. You can just pop in another CF card and later download them at your convenience. I also use a card reader to do my downloads rather than hooking up the camera to the computer.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:38 PM   #38

Yes I plan on getting two. I usually do all
my shopping at B&H or Cameta for refurb
lenses. I like the fact that they give
you a one year warranty on refurb lenses.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:05 PM   #39

HI James

Card wise.. Sandisk Ultra 3's or similar is what you want to use.

Cameta had some pretty amazing deals on for the SHG's a few months back and I got my 14-54 from them as well.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:41 PM   #40

Quote:
The camera did not come with a USB remote cable so if anyone on the forum has an extra one they would like to sell, please PM me. I'm going to need that to update the firmware. Oops, I just checked the firmware and I believe it's the latest one....1.4 but not positive.
You'll need a USB connection if you ever need to update the firmware on a lens, because that occurs through the camera. The USB cable is not proprietary to Oly. My E-5 uses a USB to miniUSB cable and I believe the E-3 does also. They're cheaper themselves than the shipping cost, for example here.

But note that many smartphones used those cables for a while, before they went to the even smaller microUSB plug. So you may have one, or know someone who does - someone who goes through smartphones regularly probably has one they're not using anymore.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote