Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:44 PM   #41

I've got one, I'm mixed up, I was looking
at the three pin connector that's used
for remote shutter release. Thanks just
the same.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:57 PM   #42

Default MrPeop[le

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I've got one, I'm mixed up, I was looking
at the three pin connector that's used
for remote shutter release. Thanks just
the same.
People often complain that the wired remote is pricey, but since I first bought one for the E20 and have thus used it on three Oly DSLRs I don't feel the same way.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:45 AM   #43

Actually, what was in the camera was a xD to CF adaptor card which was in the CF slot. Why he did that is beyond me. Why not just plug it into the xD slot? Maybe it was easier for him to handle. He did include two of those CF adaptors. I feel like I stole the camera from him considering it is in pristine condition with 11,360 clicks on the shutter, four Oly batteries, one Promaster, CF/xF card reader, charger, manual, extra eye piece, Promaster camera bag (only good for the camera and lens), Promaster neck strap....for 317.95 (I paid the shipping). The E-3's on eBay generally are going for between 460.00 and 600.00 with just the charger and battery.[/QUOTE]And your seller used CF cards in the first slot for sure - he just kept them - I'd bet a lot on that (e.g. I'd bet Ken's sailboat on it). Pro and experienced amateur togs tend to prefer the durability of CF cards over the suspiciously thin SD (or xD) cards. And the xD was an improvement over the second card slot in my first Oly DSLR - a SmartMedia card.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:05 PM   #44

I do agree that you got a really good deal. Even at the normal used price, the E-3 is selling for less than its capabilities are worth.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:01 PM   #45

....seems to me that the previous E-3 owner had a source for the XD cards and using the converter to CF allowed using 2 XD cards in the camera which makes sense because of the smallish capacity XDs.

For CF cards I've never used SanDisk, instead I use Kingston & Transcend branded and for me these have done well for many thousands of files in several different cameras. I recommend the 'elite Pro' class Kingston and the Transcend label for CF brands.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:13 PM   #46

Thanks Bob,

I just took a few pictures of my M43 gear to put on eBay and I will tell you that the xD cards are slower than crap. Takes a few seconds to write one RAW file to the card and a long time to load from the card into my LR4 software (trial). I'll be getting a CF card very soon. Thanks for your input.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:13 AM   #47

I mentioned on this forum a long time ago: having a few xD cards with you, is handy if you find yourself in a restaurant seated at a table that wobbles because of an uneven floor...

Sometimes a company deludes itself into thinking it can control a market. Sony did the same thing with the Memory Stick, which consumers outside of Japan basically refused to adopt, deciding we needed another flash card type like a fish needs a bicycle. I don't have any numbers but I do believe that cost them a lot of sales of their higher-end equipment where the purchasers were knowledgeable and probably didn't want to go down the SmartMedia road again.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 5, 2013 at 6:16 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:00 PM   #48

Well, the Olympus XD cards were first intended, designed and made to support the panorama feature of the Olympus cameras at the time. Thus, the Olympus branded XDs were proprietary and no other (later mfg) XD cards could support the cameras feature, though other cameras could use the cards for normal data RW.

I believe Fuji cameras & XD cards followed the same.

The XDs had an original purpose that finally has slipped away.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:48 PM   #49

Ah! I forgot that. Actually I forget many things...

Thanks, um, uh, oh yeah, Bob.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:34 PM   #50

Well whatever they were designed for, they are very slow by
today's standards. I will leave the 2GB xD card in the slot just
in case but will use CF cards.