Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
James is getting very close to sewing up a deal on a minty 14-54mm f/2.8 Oly lens for $164.00 shipped. No case or lens hood but for the price, I guess I can afford to buy the hood and the case really isn't necessary with a camera bag.
Hey that is good news Jim. Excellent price. You are right, you do not need the case. You should check out this like new Oly lens hood for the 14-54 for only $15 "buy now" on E-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Lens...item33814975be
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:50 PM   #12

Thanks Steve, once the deal is finalized, I'll scoop up the lens hood.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:04 PM   #13

Thats a snip at that price .. its a lovely bit glass... When I got mine out of the box i was grinning like a chesire cat even more so once it was on the E1.

Filterwise, I think its a 62mm filter size, so if its not shipping with a UV I'd pick up a Hoya Pro just to protect it and the lens hood hopefully shouldn't be too difficult to get as well.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:28 PM   #14

.....love my 14-54 and used it a couple weeks ago when I did the photography for the arts festival.

Contrary to what seems to be the accepted norm not to use it with the PEN bodies, I use my 14-54 ver I on my E-P3 quite often. I also use the EC20 with the 14-54, it is a great combination.

James, you will like the 14-54, type I or II, with the E-3 but you gotta share some images.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:39 AM   #15

Oh I will Bob and I might add that the seller said the lens does come with the Olympus hood so I won't have to buy one after all. All for 164.00 shipped. Whatta deal and the guy is giving me 14 days to return it if I don't like it. I don't think that's gonna happen.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:44 AM   #16

Mmmm, now which lens is next. Possibly the 70-300mm Oly?? I'd love to have the 50-200mm Oly but even for used, the prices are up there quite a bit. Not too long ago, a clean 50-200 went on eBay for a bid of 405.00. I didn't bid because I figured it would go for much more than that. My rear end is still sore from all the kicking it got after that.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:20 AM   #17

I'm anxious today, my bargain (162.50)14-54mm f/2.8 Zuiko is being delivered today. I am writing this standing by my mailbox on the road.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:06 PM   #18

Just got the lens and it's in immaculate condition. Geez, this lens sure focuses fast.

Question, the lens came with a Kenko UV filter and I'm not sure if I should use it. I'm thinking this might be a cheap filter that may degrade IQ of the lens but I'm not sure. When I had my Canon I bought B&K filters or Hoya. Any input from anyone?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:37 PM   #19

James, I use CHEAP UV filters (Cokin) and have for years, the UV part may not work; I can't see a difference BUTTTT, the protection to the lens is what I want anyway.

degrade IQ..... try it, I'll bet you won't see a difference. Mount that lens, set the E-3 to M-mode and go shoot something, you will love it!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:45 PM   #20

"M mode", I rarely use manual, usually aperture or shutter preferred. Not saying I won't in the future if I'm looking to do something special.

Won't be using that Kenko UV filter because there is a discoloration in the glass that I can't seem to get out, and it isn't on the entire glass, just in a few areas. Tried lens cleaner to no avail. BTW, I wouldn't say that Cokin is a "cheap" filter. Thought they were pretty decent. Anyway, I'm going to have to get a 67mm filter for it, don't want to risk getting the lens scratched.